DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Museum C-141 On Sale For Scrap

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:07 am

The museum up at Warner Robbins AFB has one of it's C-141's on sale for scrap...no bids yet, at $50 too.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...17575&convertTo=USD&tid=GLSPPR4225

It's the older one on display, they just recieved a "newer" one from AMARC, narrowly saved it from the guillitine. Wonder why they want to toss this historic aircraft.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

JakeOrion

RE: Museum C-141 On Sale For Scrap

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:10 am

Hey, this is a chance for Airliners.net members to get together to restore an aircraft, starting off CHEAP too!
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:00 am

I'm sure the bid would be reallllly low, but getting it out of there would be a beast. 80,000 lbs is what they're saying, it's sans engines but that museum is packed with aircraft and you'd pretty much have to dismantle it completely in order to pull it out. It'd be nice though, if you could have it for a good bid.

Hopefully no scrap merchants decide to pick it up for the aluminum.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

zanl188

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Thread starter):
It's the older one on display, they just recieved a "newer" one from AMARC, narrowly saved it from the guillitine. Wonder why they want to toss this historic aircraft.

I believe the "newer" one was the last one to receive program depot maintenance at Robins so has more significance for depot employees.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:52 am

Indeed, you're correct. I was last there right as they recieved it, it was a naked fuselage sitting on it's gear, the engines, empenage, and wings were all strewn about awaiting assembly.

I still liked the old one though...in the old AMC colors, like the Hanoi Taxi.

DeltaGuy

wingnut135

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:42 am

That airplane made me late to work for weekend duty years ago! They closed off 247 and were towing it and the F-111 to the museum. I had to turn around and go around to the Russell Parkway gate. From what I understand they had less than six inches clearance under the bridge.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Thread starter):
museum up at Warner Robbins AFB

It's Robins AFB, in Warner Robins, GA. Sorry, one of my pet peeves.

Wingnut
A good friend will get you out of jail. A real friend will be there with you saying, "Damn that was fun!"

airfoilsguy

Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 1):
restore an aircraft, starting off CHEAP too!

Not anymore, its at $11,500  Sad
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:20 am

Ahhh cry me a river Wingnut  Wink

Well I guess some lucky scrap merchant will make some money off of it- they want to scrap it in place apparently. There sure have been alot of C-141's dying off lately, between here and AMARC.

Here's their 'new' one: http://www.c141heaven.com/65/pic_65_0248.html

And the one about to die... http://www.c141heaven.com/66/pic_66_0180.html

DeltaGuy

wingnut135

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 7):
Ahhh cry me a river Wingnut

cry   cry   cry   cry   cry   cry   cry 

Wingnut  bigthumbsup 
A good friend will get you out of jail. A real friend will be there with you saying, "Damn that was fun!"

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:35 am

Hey Wingnut, what do you do up at Semour-Johnson? Work on the F-15's perhaps?

Seen-more Johnson?  Wink jk

DeltaGuy

IcemanT37

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 4):
like the Hanoi Taxi

Yeah, whatever happened to the Hanoi Taxi? I saw it last year but heard it was finally retired.

saintsman

Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:50 pm

If its going for scrap they won't pay too much for it. Its worth very little as scrap. We bought an outer section of a DC10 wing and it cost more to ship it the 100 miles to our base than we paid for the wing.

There will be very little to salvage too, most of the stuff on board will be old or obsolete and will have no second hand market.

wingnut135

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:31 pm

Quoting IcemanT37 (Reply 10):
Yeah, whatever happened to the Hanoi Taxi?

She flew her last flight back in May and is now at Wright Patt. Don't quote me but I think they're building a hangar around her. I could be wrong.

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 9):
Seen-more Johnson? jk

BOOOOOO! Big grin

Wingnut

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting IcemanT37 (Reply 10):

Yeah, whatever happened to the Hanoi Taxi? I saw it last year but heard it was finally retired.

She was the last C-141 to fly, IIRC? Good to see she made it for as long as she did.

Saintsman, how is a whole C-141 not worth alot? I've never scrapped anything before, could you enlighten us on the process and how it can be less than profitable? I'd imagine nothing on the airframe is worth anything in salvage value other than the raw metal, the engines have been removed and there's no other C-141's flying anyways.

The museum should open it up to people who worked/flew it, and offer them a souvineer from it if they can find a part they'd like.

DeltaGuy

broke

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01 am

The "Hanoi Taxi" is now on display in the air park of the National Museum of the United States Airforce. An additional building is being planned and the "Hanoi Taxi" will probably be placed inside it when it is completed.

There are no plans to built a shelter around the airplane where it sits now.

saintsman

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:54 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 13):

Saintsman, how is a whole C-141 not worth alot? I've never scrapped anything before, could you enlighten us on the process and how it can be less than profitable? I'd imagine nothing on the airframe is worth anything in salvage value other than the raw metal, the engines have been removed and there's no other C-141's flying anyways.

Its obviously profitable otherwise nobody would do it, however there will not be huge amounts at stake. As you have said, it is probably just the metal that will make most money though you can make some on the wiring. Several years ago we scrapped some wings off the Nimrod aircraft. We got about $200 per tonne (I don't expect its much more now). From that you have to take out your costs. You also have to dispose of the non salvagable stuff, some of which is toxic. Dumping stuff these days is not cheap (in the UK at least).

Its still worth somebody scrapping it but when you think of how much it cost in the first place and how much it will realise when scrapped. Its a big difference and its never nice to see great aircraft cut up anyway.

DeltaGuy
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 am

Welp, closed at 20K...hate to see it go, but it happens. There won't be many 141's left when all's said and done.

DeltaGuy