Bisbee
Topic Author

Are There Any OV1 Mohawks In Service Anywhere?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 am

I live near Ft. Huachuca, Arizona, and because the United States Army Intelligence School is here, we use to have a few Mohawks. I was wondering if anyone might know if this airplane is still in service anywhere in the world?

Devilfish

RE: Are There Any OV1 Mohawks In Service Anywhere?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:24 pm

A number have become static displays or museum pieces like this one.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Lednicer

Although a few still fly from time to time as captioned in these pics.....

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...front=yes&s=1&keywords=OV-1+Mohawk
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

f4wso

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Amercian Wings museum located in Anoka, Minnesota has a collection of OV-1s. I've seen seven airframes there from fuselage only to pristine airworthiness. They have at least one that is flyable and on the airshow circuit. The late founder of the museum was able to acquire a Mohawk that he flew in Vietnam for the collection.

There was one at the Selfridge Airshow in 2000 that was part of a US Army historical group. It was a civilian group with a variety of 1950s-1970s era markings. The two fixed wing planes were the Mohawk and Caribou.

I last saw an military Mohawk fly at the London International Airshow in Ontario, Canada in 1997. It was quite a sight.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

Bisbee
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 am

Thank you DEVILFISH and Gary!

dl021

Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:17 am

As I understand it the ROKAF and the Argentines still use Mohawks for reconnaissance flights.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

HaveBlue

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:54 am

There's a guy I know in Lantana, FL, near West Palm Beach named Paul Pefley that has a few Mohawks. Last I saw him he had one flyable with another one near flyable and several 'spare airframes' that he was hoping to get all flyable someday. You can occassionally catch his brother flying the Mohawk at Florida airshows, last time I saw him was at the TICO airshow 2 years ago.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

DeltaGuy

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:55 pm

TICO airshow usually has one every time..not last year though. There's a few derilect airframes sitting around that field too.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan