Reedyreed
Topic Author

Space A Travel On Uscg Aircraft

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:40 am

Is it possible to get Space A availibility & seating on some current USCG aircraft these days for a USAF retired folks. Does the USCG aviation units around the USA come under the same set of rules? Our R5D/C54 :Flying Museum: aircraft is now down at CGAS Elisibeth City & will be there for about a Month & I am close by ACCG airstation at Pomona NJ. I wounder if this is a possibilty for Space A travel for getting there to NC. I am one of the flight mechs & Loadmaster on our R5D/C54 :SPIRIT OF FREEDOM: THANKS, JR

SlamClick

RE: Space A Travel On Uscg Aircraft

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:34 am

Does the CG ever do cross-country?

I see their C-130 out of SFO up here at the old Stead AFB from time to time, but it only does a couple touch-and-goes, then departs. I can't tell you the last time I saw a USCG airplane at an airport other than their own home 'drome.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

zanl188

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:00 am

I can't speak for the USCG but this time of year the USN will start running P3s & C130s up and down the coast to help sailors get home for the holidays. I'm sure they'd hook up a USAF vet.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

jetjack74

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:17 pm

Quoting Reedyreed (Thread starter):
Is it possible to get Space A availibility & seating on some current USCG aircraft these days for a USAF retired folks. Does the USCG aviation units around the USA come under the same set of rules? Our R5D/C54 :Flying Museum: aircraft is now down at CGAS Elisibeth City & will be there for about a Month & I am close by ACCG airstation at Pomona NJ. I wounder if this is a possibilty for Space A travel for getting there to NC. I am one of the flight mechs & Loadmaster on our R5D/C54 :SPIRIT OF FREEDOM: THANKS, JR

The USCG aircraft are mostly doing local coastal patrols, but they do fly them to other parts of the country when squadron depoly to other parts of the country. The problem is, they're spur of the moment surge missions they fly, so it might be difficult to make plans. You might want to call the squadron form where you're trying to Space A out and talk to their Ops dept for any missions they might have scheduled. They should have a DSN you can call.
Made from jets!

Pope

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:25 am

Can anyone explain or provide a brief overview of the travel benefits for retired US military members? Thanks.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

halls120

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:16 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
Can anyone explain or provide a brief overview of the travel benefits for retired US military members? Thanks

Quote:
Space Available Flight, better known as Space A or military hops, is a unique privilege provided to servicemembers, retirees and their families. Under the Space-Available (Space A) program, eligible passengers can fill unused seats on DoD-owned or controlled aircraft once all the space-required (duty) passengers and cargo have been accommodated.

Space A Travel has undergone a great deal of change in the past few years. What was once an easy and economical, if not always predictable, way for personnel to travel around the world has now become less prevalent and much harder to access. Previously, mission schedules were available on the web and you could even sign-up online. In post 9/11 world, however, flight information has been removed from the public domain, making travel planning more challenging. There are increasingly fewer Space A seats, and that will become even scarcer in the near few due to planned reductions in Space A gateways.

In stark contrast to civilian air travel, there is no centralized process yet for booking seats on Space A flights. It is a fragmented system that requires extra diligence on the part Space A travelers.

That having been said, if you have the time and flexibility, Space A travel offers incredible discounts. We have gathered valuable resources to help you better understand the Space A system and prepare you for what to expect.

See more at http://www.military.com/Travel/TravelPrivileges/0,13396,,00.html
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:25 am

Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.