Ryan h
Topic Author

Japanese Pilots

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:05 pm

I have heard many stories that the Japanese pilots during the Second World War did not have parachutes. I find this a bit hard to believe.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

wing

RE: Japanese Pilots

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:39 pm

I don't think its hard to believe for a pilot whose goal was to crash into an aircraft carrier would need having a parachute.

Ottomans in history were burning the ships they sailed when they arrive to the battle field,there was no other chooice other than victory or die,Japanese are also a fighter nation.I would believe if they leave their parachutes just to fight harder,as a motivation of no turning back except from victory.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

jwenting

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Consider the Japanese warrior mindset and you will find it a lot easier to believe.

For the Japanese soldier (certainly the professional, not talking about the later draftees) surrender or flight from battle was a disgrace not just to you but to your family, your unit, and the emperor.
Death in combat was a worthy fate, victory of course even better.

So many of them would likely refuse parachutes going into battle even if offered.
AFAIK parachutes were available, especially during training and ferry missions.
I wish I were flying

SlamClick

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting Wing (Reply 1):
a pilot whose goal was to crash into an aircraft carrier would need having a parachute.

But they did wear helmets.
Go figure!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jwenting

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:27 pm

leather caps rather, reinforced with leather straps.
Those were their radio headsets.
I wish I were flying

kc135topboom

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting Wing (Reply 1):
I don't think its hard to believe for a pilot whose goal was to crash into an aircraft carrier would need having a parachute.

The kamakasi attacks didn't start, in mass, until late 1944. Prior to that, the goal of the IJN and IJAF was to keep as many experienced pilots as possible.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
But they did wear helmets.
Go figure!

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 4):
leather caps rather, reinforced with leather straps.
Those were their radio headsets.

That was true with the pilots of all the WWII combatents. It was the technoligy of the day.

ptrjong

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Blue Box Toys is proud to introduce "Lieutenant Sakae," a 1:6 scale, fully poseable WWII Imperial Japanese Navy Pilot. This super-realistic 12-inch action figure features a painstaking attention to detail, intricate design and die-cast metal weapons and accessories. "Lieutenant Sakae" comes equipped with authentic Japanese pilot flight suit, fur lined flight cap with goggles, scarf, headband, Nambu pistol with holster, Life vest, Parachute harness with 4 point buckle, binoculars with case, wristwatch, compass, metal samurai "pilots" short sword with scabbard and more.

Japanese pilots may have been quite prepared to die in battle, but I don't think they were so keen to die as a result of a stupid engine failure. And certainly their commanding officers were not keen to lose them.

Also, in WWII aircraft you'd usually need a pillow to sit on if you weren't wearing a parachute, right?

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)