FlyBoeing
Topic Author

Blue Angels Video (Nantucket 2006)

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzN7hOOx4Go

Took the ferry to Nantucket but got there too late to get a bunk at the youth hostel... so I slept on the beach (luckily I had my sleeping bag and pad with me). Still, it was pretty cold that night in September, so I cycled over to Brant Point for some rays.

At that point my luck took a complete 360 when I encountered Maj. Matthew McGath, one of the "Fat Albert" pilots for the show. He and his wife were taking pictures on the beach. After we took a few pictures I told him my story and he was so impressed that he gave me a VIP pass to the show.

No open bar, but I did get front-row seats and the use of a non-Port-a-John toilet.

chrisnh

RE: Blue Angels Video (Nantucket 2006)

Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:25 am

That was really great! Thanks for sharing! I live up in southern New Hampshire and I always try to see whichever major air shows come to the region...which usually means either Westover or Westfield. But I was always curious about how the Navy agreed to do a show on Nantucket? Is there some 'quid-pro-quo' involved with some politician living in the area? Of course it can't be Kennedy...the hater of all things military. But I still wonder 'why Nantucket?'

Chris in NH

FlyBoeing
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:20 pm

The Boss (Blue Angel #1) was from Nantucket so the 2005 show was supposed to be a "homecoming". Bad weather cancelled that, so it got pushed to 2006.

Yes, I know about MA - but the state is actually fairly good recruitng territory as long as you stay away from Boston and Martha's Vineyard. I'm told that Nantucket is a bit more conservative than the Vineyard. Didn't stay there long but I can tell you it's nice and flat, which is good for this bicyclist.

BTW they still had civilian Cape Air flights at NAN during the intermissions of the show. I was waiting for one of those pilots to put on his own show...

DeltaGuy

Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting FlyBoeing (Thread starter):
No open bar

That's the best part about knowing folks on the Blues team, always a good ticket when they come to your town...and the kegs never go home full!

Quoting FlyBoeing (Reply 2):
as long as you stay away from Boston and Martha's Vineyard.

You mean, away from the Kennedy/Kerry country? Yeah, recruiting will go far there.  Yeah sure Keep those jets around there long enough they're liable to file a noise complaint/try to shrink their budget. Kindly remind them next time you're there that those planes ensure their freedom.

Good job getting in though- I've known several Blues pilots over the years, and all are more than willing to help anyone out- it's a dream assignment and they're just happy to be there and share it with others.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

N911ME

Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:37 am

I met LCDR Kieron O'Connor (Blues #2) when he was at a show in MKE in early July 1999 just a few months before he and LT Kevin Colling were killed at Moody AFB in October the same year in a training accident. I can't describe how impressive these men and women are - truly love what they do, and love sharing their passion for aviation with so many others. An extraordinary inspiration to all in aviation.

DeltaGuy

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:59 am

I knew Lt Colling once upon a time, sad thing that happened to him. I have yet to meet a jerk who flys for the Blues- it's the ultimate fraternity and they don't let just anyone in.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

taxpilot

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:23 am

Great video! Even an Air Force guy has to respect and admire those Navy guys.  bigthumbsup