Lumberton
Topic Author

Report: Libya To Order Rafale

Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:53 pm

FI is reporting:
http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...g+Eurofighter%2c+French+press.html

Quote:
Libya 'to order 13-18 Dassault Rafale fighter jets', rejecting Eurofighter, French press reports

Libyan leader Col Muammar al-Gaddafi has reportedly selected the Dassault Aviation Rafale fighter jet to re-equip the country's air force ahead of the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Libya is reportedly close to finalising an order for between 13 and 18 Rafales in a deal worth as much as €2.5 billion ($3.24 billion), French Sunday newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche says.

The newspaper cites industry sources and government insiders as saying Gaddafi chose the French offer over a refurbishing of and unspecified number of the country's mixed RSK MiG fleet of Mig-21s, -23 and -25s. Proposals from China and Russia were also considered, the report continues.

If true, the deal would be the first export order for the Rafale.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

N328KF

RE: Report: Libya To Order Rafale

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:18 am

It only makes sense. They have around 120 Dassault products, ranging from Mirages to Falcons.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

RichardPrice

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:11 am

Dassault have denied any negotiations are underway -

Quote:

PARIS (AFP) - French aerospace group Dassault Aviation denied a press report that it was negotiating the sale of Rafale fighter jets to Libya.

"To date, there is no negotiation on this matter between the Dassault company and the Libyan authorities," a company spokesman told AFP.

"This type of matter belongs to the bilateral domain between the French and Libyan governments," he added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070114/bs_afp/francelibyaaviation

Would a government really undertake negotiations for a sale without involving the supplier?

N328KF

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 2):
Would a government really undertake negotiations for a sale without involving the supplier?

Why not? The U.S. did it with Taiwan regarding diesel-electric submarines.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

dl021

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:32 am

I am a bit surprised at this, not that they would order a Dassault product...but that they are ordering new jets at all.

They'd be better served with new transport aircraft and civilian applications.

But, if they plan on these being their primary defense aircraft then they are making a good selection. The Rafale is a well put together airplane that is backed by an excellent financing package. I don't think that Saab could compete in that regard, even though their plane is less expensive.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

trex8

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 3):
Why not? The U.S. did it with Taiwan regarding diesel-electric submarines.

strictly not quite true as there was only agreement to starting a program to meet a requirement but there was nothing concrete about the actual product which was still to be determined!

ebj1248650

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 2):

It would seem a good thing for the company as they can say the French government blessed the deal and the company therefore complied with the government's wishes. Libya isn't on the top ten most popular nations in the world list so the builders of the Rafale may not want to be seen as seeking business from that country.
Dare to dream; dream big!

md90fan

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm

Are the Saudi's financing this?  wink 

Honestly I don't see it happening as long the French are flying Mirages for Chad against Libya.

Will these (if it happens) get the Mica IR? If not the Rafale is useless
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

deskflier

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
I don't think that Saab could compete in that regard, even though their plane is less expensive.

Gripen could never compete for an order from Libya, given the large amount of US components in this system.
How can anyone not fly, when we live at a time when we can fly?

Lumberton
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Deskflier (Reply 8):
Gripen could never compete for an order from Libya, given the large amount of US components in this system.

Is there still an embargo on weapons systems to Libya? I know Boeing is selling them commercial aircraft.

Lumberton
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Dassault and the French defense ministry are now distancing themselves from this report...
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...per-reports-of-rafale-sale-to.html

Quote:
Countering the claim last week, a Dassault source said: "There are no negotiations with Libya on the Rafale." Any decision to offer the aircraft would have to be made by the French government, but defence minister Michèle Alliot-Marie has also denied the report, the source added.

dl021

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:13 pm

Quoting Deskflier (Reply 8):
Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
I don't think that Saab could compete in that regard, even though their plane is less expensive.

I was under the impression that this was no longer a real issue. Is there still an arms embargo?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

PADSpot

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):
It only makes sense. They have around 120 Dassault products, ranging from Mirages to Falcons.

These are so old that you will have problems in finding any match between them.

scbriml

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 9):
I know Boeing is selling them commercial aircraft.

What planes is Boeing selling them? They may be trying to sell them planes, but nothing has been sold yet AFAIK.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Lumberton
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 13):
What planes is Boeing selling them?

AFAIK, none. Could be something happening behind the scenes as you suggest, but I'm not aware of any offers to Libya for combat aircraft--from Boeing, LM, or any other U.S. company.

[Edited 2007-01-20 18:11:13]

md90fan

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:53 am

What planes is Boeing selling them? They may be trying to sell them planes, but nothing has been sold yet AFAIK

Buraq Air ordered 3 Boeing 737-800s. Here a few photos of them in service.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe G. Walker
View Large View Medium

Photo © Irfan Caliskan

Buraq Order

Cheers,
MD90fan  wave 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

scbriml

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:12 am

You said:

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 9):
I know Boeing is selling them commercial aircraft.

So I asked:

What planes is Boeing selling them?

and you replied:

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 14):
AFAIK, none.

I don't know about you, but I'm confused! yes 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

N328KF

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 12):
These are so old that you will have problems in finding any match between them.

I'm not talking about commonality. I am referring to the fact that Dassault has an established relationship and foothold there.

Lumberton
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:53 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 16):
I don't know about you, but I'm confused! yes

Should have read further:

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 14):
but I'm not aware of any offers to Libya for combat aircraft--from Boeing, LM, or any other U.S. company.

"combat aircraft".... It has been brought out on other threads that Libya via Burak airlines was buying 737s, but since this thread is about tactical aircraft, I thought it was understood. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:15 am

After the earlier denial, it seems the deal is progressing again.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...mn8AAAEAAEOfw4sAAAAD&modele=jdc_34

Libya to buy 14 French Farale fighters: presidential source

Sorry, it's just a headline - those with subscriptions could please provide a link to the complete story. The typo notwithstanding, it's altogether more credible this time, given the Airbus orders signed at the Elysee Palace.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Malcolm J.Bezzina

It looks like the Rafale might finally have its first export customer. That is, if the government had learned its lesson and drops the stubborn insistence on package deals, and sings from the same songbook as Dassault.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

N74JW

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:21 pm

The LARAF has to get something... The pics of the Mig-21s and Mig-23MLs show some tired aircraft.
rm -r *

art

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:49 pm

This is being reported as an order on the French Wikipedia Dassault Rafale site. I don't know what credence to attach to this, nor who posted the info:

"La seule commande à l'export date de décembre 2007, il s'agit de 14 Rafale au dirigeant lybien Mouammar Kadhafi"

Translation: The only export order dates from December 2007, covering 14 Rafales for the Libyan leader Mouammar Kadhafi

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale#Commandes

Devilfish

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:42 pm

Defense-Aerospace reports further details about the MoU.....

France, Libya Agree Defense Deals but Postpone Signature

Quote:
"(Dec 11) PARIS --- France and Libya have agreed in principle several military equipment deals worth as much as 4.5 billion euros, but final signature of the contracts depends on the successful conclusion of ongoing negotiations. According to an Memorandum of Understanding signed here by the two governments on Monday, negotiations are to be concluded by July 1, 2008. The French government has not confirmed the Rafale sale, and French presidential spokesman David Martinon said Monday 'I cannot confirm it, but I can confirm that in the field of armaments cooperation we want to work with the Libyans.' He added that he could not comment on 'commercial negotiations.' According to French media reports, the agreement covers the sale to Libya of up to 14 Dassault Aviation Rafale combat aircraft, armed with MICA air-to-air missiles supplied by MBDA. The agreement reportedly also covers the supply of 35 military helicopters manufactured by Eurocopter, including ten Tiger attack helicopters, 15 EC725 Caracal multi-mission utility helicopters, and ten AS550 Fennec liaison/training helicopters. The media reports claim that France has also agreed to supply: - Cesar 155mm truck-mounted self-propelled howitzers; - 60 VAB wheeled armored vehicles; - 13 Sagaie wheeled armored vehicles; - 25 VBL armored scout/liaison vehicles; - eight fast patrol boats; - air-defense radars; and - the modernization of 12 or more Dassault F-1C combat aircraft bought by Libya in the 1970s."

So, they're still looking at a package deal - will be worth watching how this turns out.

[Edited 2007-12-11 08:45:51]

F27Friendship

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:17 pm

This is really unbelievable. How can they sell top-notch product like Rafale, Mica and Tigre to someone like Kadaffi? If I were French I would be ashamed.

Devilfish

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 23):
How can they sell top-notch product like Rafale, Mica and Tigre to someone like Kadaffi? If I were French I would be ashamed.

Precisely the gist of the opposition against his visit and the deals.....

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2007/12/11/42818.html

Quote:
"Gaddafi is visiting France for the first time in 34 years, seeking to bolster his international standing after decades as an outcast of the West.

His visit, during which a series of deals with French firms have been signed, has angered the opposition and rights groups, who accuse Sarkozy of sacrificing principles to boost exports.

Sarkozy has retorted that he told Gaddafi at a meeting on Monday that he should do more to improve the human rights situation in Libya, but Gaddafi gave a different account.

'First of all, President Sarkozy and I did not discuss these subjects. We are quite close friends. We cooperate,' Gaddafi said in an extract of an interview on France 2 television due to be aired on Tuesday evening."

Pacts notwithstanding, France could cite its EU neighboring countries' not buying the Rafale and other defense equipment as the reason that drove these companies to seek commercial survival in rogue states. Their rationale might be, "If we didn't sell to them, someone else would."

PADSpot

Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:22 am

This is really unbelievable. How can they sell top-notch product like Rafale, Mica and Tigre to someone like Kadaffi? If I were French I would be ashamed.

During the past years he did a lot to rebuild a peaceful reputation. Every once in while one needs to reward that with a candy to keep him carrying on ...

F27Friendship

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 25):
During the past years he did a lot to rebuild a peaceful reputation. Every once in while one needs to reward that with a candy to keep him carrying on ...

yeah, how stupid can we be. Gives him the position again to do whatever he pleases. Give him new airliners, investments in the local economy, not high tech weapons!

bennett123

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 pm

Given that we are talking about only 14 aircraft, surely there is a limit to the amount of harm that he can do.

Also in the past, he has had major problems in keeping planes in the air, (and they are less complex than Rafale, and had more sources of spare parts).

F27Friendship

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 27):
Given that we are talking about only 14 aircraft, surely there is a limit to the amount of harm that he can do.

Also in the past, he has had major problems in keeping planes in the air, (and they are less complex than Rafale, and had more sources of spare parts).

it's about the principle; BTW< he also got a significant amount of hi-tech anti armor rockets for the army

wvsuperhornet

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 28):
it's about the principle; BTW< he also got a significant amount of hi-tech anti armor rockets for the army

Just throwing something out and I dont always agree with who the Frech sell their weapons to, but he hasn't been linked to any terrorist activities since 1984 and did dennounce weapons of mass destruction, sometimes and for whatever reason people change ocassionally. I really dont have a problem with it.

[Edited 2007-12-14 12:37:16]

MadameConcorde

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:26 pm

I also think it is a scandal (much more than a shame) that Sarkozy is pushing this deal with Khadaffi. This tells a lot about who the French president really is. He has previously invited Chavez and Bouteflika and now he is selling nuclear equipment and Rafale fighter planes to Khadaffi.  Angry

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

F27Friendship

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:12 am

Quoting Wvsuperhornet (Reply 29):
Just throwing something out and I dont always agree with who the Frech sell their weapons to, but he hasn't been linked to any terrorist activities since 1984 and did dennounce weapons of mass destruction, sometimes and for whatever reason people change ocassionally. I really dont have a problem with it

Everything Saddam was accused of, Kadaffi DID.. Think about that when you open your newspaper and read about the mess in Iraq..

RJAF

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 pm

I do not see any problem with the sale of high-tech French equipment to Libya, if they don't, well somebody else will and I applaud Sarkozy for such a move. For those of you concerned, give me a break, how much damage can this amount of hardware do to anyone? Who on earth will Libya attack? I'm very sure these planes will collect dust and will be used primarily for army day fly-pasts..
Chance favors the prepared mind

F27Friendship

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting RJAF (Reply 32):
if they don't, well somebody else will

that's the lamest excuse ever.. Would you hand a serial killer a pocket knife, even if he improved his behaviour a bit?

RJAF

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 33):
Would you hand a serial killer a pocket knife, even if he improved his behaviour a bit

Do not wish to start a political debate here but one can argue easily that there are much, much worse countries who have done much more harm to certain people than what Qadafi had done and yet they still get rewarded with the best military hardware.
Chance favors the prepared mind

F27Friendship

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting RJAF (Reply 34):
Do not wish to start a political debate here but one can argue easily that there are much, much worse countries who have done much more harm to certain people than what Qadafi had done and yet they still get rewarded with the best military hardware.

Well... Qadafi DID have nuclear weapons and DID train and support terrorist attacks trough his own intelligence agencies. Isn;t this exactly what Saddam was accused of? Yet Saddam is dead, Iraq is one big mess and Qadafi is more steady in place than ever..

One should not forget he fired SCUD missiles at France?

N74JW

Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:51 pm

Does it really matter if Libya buys a dozen Rafales? That is not going turn the balance of power in the Middle East. I think that Libya wants to make strides to joining the world community.
rm -r *

F27Friendship

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 36):
Does it really matter if Libya buys a dozen Rafales? That is not going turn the balance of power in the Middle East. I think that Libya wants to make strides to joining the world community

that is not the question, it's an ethical and principle thing

N74JW

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:21 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 37):
that is not the question, it's an ethical and principle thing

What is questionable about France's ethics in selling them, and what principle are we trying to support?

This is a business transaction. The former Soviet republics have been doing this for years. In the chance of conflict, the Rafale will be fodder for US/NATO fighters and not on the merit of the technology. It will take years for the Libyan pilots to be on par with their NATO counter parts. That is nothing against the Libyan pilots, but there is a significant technology gap between the Mig-23 and the Rafale.
rm -r *

F27Friendship

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 38):
What is questionable about France's ethics in selling them, and what principle are we trying to support?

This is a business transaction. The former Soviet republics have been doing this for years. In the chance of conflict, the Rafale will be fodder for US/NATO fighters and not on the merit of the technology. It will take years for the Libyan pilots to be on par with their NATO counter parts. That is nothing against the Libyan pilots, but there is a significant technology gap between the Mig-23 and the Rafale.

this is all true, but in my opinion you don't sell arms to a dictator that supported terrorists, developed nuclear weapons, fired SCUDs at your country, only because he improved is behaviour a bit and to make a few bucks.

It's not going to make the Rafale programme a succes either. It only shows their desparation if they go trough with it

N74JW

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 39):
this is all true, but in my opinion you don't sell arms to a dictator that supported terrorists, developed nuclear weapons, fired SCUDs at your country, only because he improved is behaviour a bit and to make a few bucks.

It's not going to make the Rafale programme a succes either. It only shows their desparation if they go trough with it

I agree. That is probably the side-effect of the arms business. Weapons will fall into the hands of the wrong people. If France doesn't do it, someone else will.
rm -r *

F27Friendship

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 40):
If France doesn't do it, someone else will.

let them do it then, I think France should remain on the respectable countries' list

ebj1248650

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 36):
Does it really matter if Libya buys a dozen Rafales? That is not going turn the balance of power in the Middle East. I think that Libya wants to make strides to joining the world community.

The impact of this sale hinges on what the leaders in Libya want to do with those Rafales.
Dare to dream; dream big!

N74JW

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 42):
The impact of this sale hinges on what the leaders in Libya want to do with those Rafales.

What could they do, exactly? Re-enact the Gulf of Sidra incident? The worst they could do with 13-18 modern warplanes would be deliver a tactical nuclear weapon. Why would they do that when they could use a tactical ballistic missile, or terrorists? The probable success of any such mission is very very low, even they would realize that fact. The Rafale in Libyan service would give it the most advanced fighter in service in N.Africa. That fact still won't change Libya's place in N.African/Middle Eastern politics. Algeria is looking at the Su-30MKA? and is taking delivery of Mig-29SMT aircraft. Morocco would be a good prospect for a Rafale sale, but will probably end-up with second hand F-16s or Mirage 2000s
rm -r *

wvsuperhornet

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 31):
Everything Saddam was accused of, Kadaffi DID.. Think about that when you open your newspaper and read about the mess in Iraq..

Really I wasn't aware Kadaffi gased his own people?. Look I am not going to join his politcal party anytime soon or saying he is totally innocent but France selling this guys a small amount of rafales and weapons isnt the worst thing that anyone has done. Look at the Russians selling fighters and weapons to anyone who will buy them I dont hear to many complaints about that. Anyway Saddam was never accused of having nuclear weapons but he was wanting them. Saddam was hung by his own people not anyone else. Thats the problem people are reading to many stories in the news paper about Iraq if it was up to the press we would be surrending to the Terrorists right now not fighting them.

Mir

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 41):
let them do it then, I think France should remain on the respectable countries' list

If France sells the weapons, France can control the flow of spare parts. If France refuses to deal based on principle, they can't. One scenario leaves France in a position of much greater power than the other.

If Qaddafi decides to get more frisky in the future (and I say that with the understanding that he has always been, and likely always will be, a nutcase - he made the point that the thing he wanted to do most on his trip to France was to see 200 beautiful French women), France can cut the flow of parts to keep his air force in working order. Russia would be much less likely to do the same.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

F27Friendship

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 pm

one new thing:

France as a huge military base in Chad (or how do you write that) to protect Chad from the Libiyans.. They have bombed Libiyan columns heading for Chad before.. Now the're supplying them with weapons>?

Devilfish

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 46):
France as a huge military base in Chad (or how do you write that) to protect Chad from the Libiyans.. They have bombed Libiyan columns heading for Chad before.. Now the're supplying them with weapons>?

As the saying goes, "There are no permanent enemies, only permanent interests."

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...on-libya-seeking-arms-deals-04417/

Quote:
On the other hand, Le Figaro pointedly withdrew its story concerning the Rafale purchase:

'The paper said it had wrongly interpreted information and would not publish the report in later editions. There will be no substitute story.'

What does seem clear is that Libya is interested in military modernization, and that it has expressed genuine interest in French equipment. Negotiations do not mean a final sale, however, and other countries will be looking for opportunities to elbow in and fill these needs. Russia is always a potential competitor, for instance, and a removal from the USA's blacklists could introduce the same dynamic of buying cheaper used F-16s that proved fatal in Morocco.

A French sale offers distinct political advantages over Russian options, as it represents a visible sign of Libya's increasing international acceptance that a sale from Russia cannot match. It also restores a set of relationships that were already in place, which is always easier to do than beginning new ones."

N74JW

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:05 pm

Let's not forget, Libya has a dozen or so Su-24's in use (see this month's AFM for photos). It does not take a Rafale or an Su-24 to bomb Chad. A B-17 could probably do that effectively.
rm -r *

TaromA380

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting F27Friendship (Reply 35):
One should not forget he fired SCUD missiles at France?

Please, tell us more about this event.