CF188A
Topic Author

Winglets On Military Bomber/Fighter Aircraft?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:12 pm

As I was reading, I looked at my models on my desk and I just wondered... (my F-15 next to my A330), would winglets actually be destructive to supersonic fighter/bomber aircraft? I mean when the sound barrier is broken, they really do not need as much thrust to continuously travel at the current speed, therefore would a reinforced winglet like design actually improve airflow giving improved range etc ? The only military aircraft which came to mind given the term winglets... was the C-17 . I am sure there are more, but I am talking about present day fighters and bombers... why have winglets never been installed and could they potentially be installed or is it simply a structural issue?.... or at that would there be no improvement to efficiency?
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

silentbob

RE: Winglets On Military Bomber/Fighter Aircraft?

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:22 am

You might have issues with the radar cross-section after adding winglets to a fighter or smaller attack aircraft.

N328KF

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:25 am

One large bomber did have winglets, of sorts:
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

vzlet

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:30 am

Wingtip-mounted missiles, pods, or fuel tanks can increase the effective aspect ration of a wing.
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid