747400sp
Topic Author

Was The Aircraft Carrier I Saw In 2001 CV-64?

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:11 am

In 2001 not long after 9-11, I took a trip to San Diego for a convention. The first night I got there I was looking off the balcony of the San Diego Convention center, and was shock to find a carrier in moored at NAS North Island. It did not have it's Island lights that show the hull number on ( which is under stand able since 9-11 just happened), it kinda scared me for a second. The Sunday of that weekend another carrier moored behind this carrier, both was moored at the old pier at North Island. About a week later the news showed, John C. Stennies CVN-74 deployed early because of 9-11, but it left pier Kilo, and I know the Nimitz CVN-68 just move to San Diego after 9-11 but it moored at peir Julian. The mystery carrier was moored right across from the NEX on North Inland. So was this mystery carrier the USS Constellation CV-64?

DeltaGuy

RE: Was The Aircraft Carrier I Saw In 2001 CV-64?

Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 pm

I've seen the Connie moored on that spot at the pier before, but this was as they were stripping her for her decomm that happened only a week after I saw her. From what you've said it wouldn't surprise me if it was her.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan