Marcus
Topic Author

What Ever Happened To The Mexican Sukhois?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:23 am

Read last year on the papers that Mexico had decided on purchasing Sukhoi aircraft for maritime patrol operations, not nothing has happened and there doesn't seem to be any new information on this matter.

Does anyone have an update on this? was this cancelled?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

Acheron

RE: What Ever Happened To The Mexican Sukhois?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:29 am

Yes, it was cancelled, mostly due to budget issues, or so I've heard. At least it won't be happening this year.

ebj1248650

Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Marcus (Thread starter):
Read last year on the papers that Mexico had decided on purchasing Sukhoi aircraft for maritime patrol operations, not nothing has happened and there doesn't seem to be any new information on this matter.

Does anyone have an update on this? was this cancelled?

As I recall there was a thread rather recently making mention that Mexico is looking at surplus F/A-18s here in the U.S. Don't know how far this idea has come. Odds are they can get a better deal here and I'd hope logistics and training support would be easier to acquire.
Dare to dream; dream big!

Devilfish

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:52 am

There was a relatively spirited discussion on it here last year.....
Mexico Selects Su-27 For Strategic Surveillance (by Keesje May 10 2006 in Military Aviation & Space Flight)#top

The more recent thread on F/A-18 Hornets was here.....
RE: F/A-18 Hornet For Mexico...? (by Cun757 Jan 23 2007 in Military Aviation & Space Flight)
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

Devilfish

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Acheron (Reply 1):
Yes, it was cancelled, mostly due to budget issues, or so I've heard. At least it won't be happening this year.

Perhaps KAI/LockMart's planned RA-50 reconnaissance variant of the the T-50 Golden Eagle could be a more practical and economical alternative? .....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...heed-martin-t-50-advanced-jet.html

Quote:
"Planned role equipment for the new aircraft includes active jamming pods and Raytheon AGM-88 HARM anti-radiation missiles for the EA-50 and an electro-optical/infrared pod for the RA-50, potentially the Elop long-range oblique imagery system already ordered for the air force's Lockheed F-16s. Additional equipment to be used in common with the FA-50 includes radar warning receivers and counter­measures dispensers, says Lee."

Even if those are built in South Korea, an order from Mexico would make their neighbors in Ft. Worth, Texas happy.

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 2):

As I recall there was a thread rather recently making mention that Mexico is looking at surplus F/A-18s here in the U.S. Don't know how far this idea has come. Odds are they can get a better deal here and I'd hope logistics and training support would be easier to acquire.

As luck would have it, the President was on TV this morning talking about cooperation with Mexico. Could there already be a surplus/new-build Falcon or Hornet deal in the works?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield