kc135topboom

Best Military Aviation & Naval Museums?

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 pm

Okay, we have talked about best fighters and bombers. There are a lot of very good candidates in each catagory.

But, I really like avaiation and naval museums. Some of my favorites are:

USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio (Wright Patterson AFB)
Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts
USS Constitution, Boston, Massachusetts
Castle Air Museum, Atwater, California (near the former Castle AFB)

All these above have Aircraft or Naval Warships in excellent condition, that are well cared for. These are by no means all the museums I have visited. Some are in very poor condition (like the USS Lexington in Corpus Cristie, TX). Others have only one or two exhibits to look at (like the USS North Carolina in Wilmington, NC or the USS Texas in Houston, TX). I like a museum you can spend an entire day, or more at.

One day, I would like to visit the HMS Victory in Portsmouth, UK and the HMS Belfast in London, UK.

But, what do all of you think? What are your favorite museums?  scratchchin 

DeltaGuy

RE: Best Military Aviation & Naval Museums?

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:38 pm

National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola FL. One of the best you'll ever go to. Went there a few weeks ago and it's always better than the last time you visit.

My family has a few planes they have flown (actual tail numbers) so it's pretty cool to see the family tree up close.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

KPDX

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:01 am

Evergreen Air Museum (Also home of the Spruce Goose)
and

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Thread starter):
Castle Air Museum, Atwater, California (near the former Castle AFB)

KPDX  Smile
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

zanl188

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:40 am

Hands down the best military aviation museum I have seen is the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson. 2nd runner up is the RAF Museum at Hendon, followed by the IWM.

(BTW: I'm biased on the USAF Museum being retired USAF & a former volunteer at the museum. But I've seen more of it than most people too...)

As naval museums go I can't say I have any great favorites. However I have enjoyed the USS Wisconsin at Norfolk Va, The U-505 in Chicago, The Museum at the Navy Yard in D.C., & HMS Belfast & The Tower in London.

Military Museums in general that I like: The War Rooms in London, The War Memorial Museum in Seoul, the US Army Transportation Museum at Ft Eustis, VA.,

Museums on the short list to go see: U.S. Army Aviation Museum at Ft Rucker, Al, U.S. Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola, Fl., and the D-Day Museum in New Orleans, La.

edit: one museum in wrong category

[Edited 2007-03-31 17:43:22]
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Jaws707

Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:52 am

The Interpid Museum in NYC is a good one as well. Besides the Intrepid it has plenty of aircraft to see as well as a Concorde and a submarine. But, I believe it is closed now for a while due to renovation. Last week I toured the USS New Jersey in Camden and must say it is a very impressive ship. I would say that takes up about half a day, but Philly is right next door and that can take up the other half day.

HaveBlue

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:01 am

The USAF Museum in Dayton is unbeatable in my opinion. Been there several times and never have enough time to take it all in. Hard to beat seeing an XB-70, YF-12, SR-71, B-36 and most of the X planes all in one museum. I like how they have (had?) the MiG-15 and F-86 side by side.. and another F-86 totally skinless so you could see all the innards. Just an amazing place, just about anything our Air Force flew and a few things our rivals did are there.

US Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is really good too. Aircraft are in great shape and the imitation carrier deck with planes on it was a nice touch. And you have the Blue Angels right next door too!

US Army Aviation Museum in Ft. Rucker, AL. I was born there when my dad was an I.P. there after his tour in Nam, so maybe I'm partial ; . But as a helo nut this place is a mecca, pristine aircraft and basically the whole rotary wing lineage shown. I particuliarly like the AH-56 Cheyenne out front, beautiful chopper too bad it never went active. And out back in open storage they had a Hind, the Chinook with a 60' wing on top, and the MHL or XHL, anyways I forget the name but the chopper that, parked next to the aforementioned Chinook, made it look small and toylike. Enormous!

The USS Alabama museum in Mobile, AL was nice as it was my first time on a Battleship, and they had the USS Drum submarine for tours next to it. The air portion was memorable for the B-52, YF-17 and most importantly my only look at an A-12 Blackbird.

Warner Robins AFB in GA was nice, the actual record setting U-2 and SR-71 there, an English Lightning and others.

The USAF Armarment Museum at Eglin AFB, FL has a nice collection with its Century Series fighters figuring prominently, an SR-71, MiG-21, AC-130, F-111 and B-52.

Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight in Polk County, FL is nice. Where else can you see a Constellation, B-24, PBY Catalina and Shorts Sunderland in the same space, and that's BEFORE you get in the door. Nice 5,000' grass strip going right up to the front door and hot air balloon rides too.

It's been a long time since I've been to these, this was all back in the 90's so the information might be dated.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

connies4ever

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 3):
Hands down the best military aviation museum I have seen is the National Museum of the USAF at Wright-Patterson. 2nd runner up is the RAF Museum at Hendon, followed by the IWM.

Haven't been to Wright-Patterson, ZANL, but I heartily endorse your recommendation of both the
RAF Museum Hendon, and the Imperial War Museum, London. Amazing stuff there !
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kc135topboom

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:08 am

For airplanes, if you have not been to the USAF Museum, I strongly urge you to go. It is free (donations accepted). For the Navy Warship buffs, I strongly recommend Battleship Cove, about 40 miles south of Boston. They have the Battleship Massachusetts, The Joe Kennedy (Gearing calss DD), 2 PT Boats, The Lionfish (Gato class SS), and Hindsee, a former East German FFG. My guess is they will also end up with the about to decommission CV JFK.

Venus6971

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:29 am

I have been to alot of the above mentioned museums but nobody has mentioned Imperial war museum in Duxford in Cambridgeshire. It has living history that still flys or rolls as in its armor museum.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

keesje

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:36 am

I think english food sucks as does their fashion but the brits never seem to throw anything away and they are kind of leading in history book and museums.

Two excellent museums in the UK I visited & made a big impression:
**** Duxford : extensive collection of old & modern (flying) aircraft, impressive collection of legendary prototypes.. http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

**** Fleet Air Arm museum really takes you by the hand & leads you through the collection as in a story book. Innovative way of setting up a museum.. http://www.fleetairarm.com/index2.htm
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

connies4ever

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting Keesje (Reply 9):
I think english food sucks as does their fashion but the brits never seem to throw anything away and they are kind of leading in history book and museums.

English food sucks ? It's brilliant compared to Irish food...

Venus6971

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:05 am

lets not forget the Pima County mueseum in Tucson AZ outside of DMAFB home of a airplane I am quite fond of with good memorys

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Marshall

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

connies4ever

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:09 am

Venus6971-
You can see the tires are flattening out.
Sad.

KevinSmith

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 5):
The USAF Museum in Dayton is unbeatable in my opinion.

Ditto. No one else comes close. Not only the volume of aircraft but the time span it encompasses.

I'd put the Smithsonian up there as well.
And
As much as it pains this Air Force guy to say the National Museum of Naval Aviation isn't too bad either. In fact we took a field trip up to the museum when I was in API for the enignes class, learned a lot. The Cubi bar cafe is pretty cool as well. That is one thing the NMUSAF could learn from.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

Venus6971

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 12):
Venus6971-
You can see the tires are flattening out.
Sad.

No the tires look in good shape but it has no fuel in it and 707's are tail heavy without it. You can tell on how high the nose gear is extended . The paint and polished metal on the nacelles have gone to hell though.

HaveBlue

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:56 am

Yeah can't believe I forgot to mention the Udvar Hazy Museum, been to that last year but not the original Smithsonian... yet. Udvar was cool, liked it a lot.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

LMP737

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:45 am

The Mueseum of Scince and Industry in Chicago has the newly updated U505 display.

< http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/index.html >
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

F14D4ever

Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:45 am

... the USS Wisconsin at Norfolk, Va., ...

The museum that is home to the Wisconsin is called Nauticus. It is also home to the Hampton Roads Naval Museum. Add a two-hour boat tour of the Norfolk area aboard the Victory Rover and you've spent an entire day. Great place to visit.
 thumbsup 
"He is risen, as He said."

JayinKitsap

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:36 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 2):
Evergreen Air Museum (Also home of the Spruce Goose)
and

On the Oregon Coast in Tallamook is a pretty good museum in the old blimp hanger. The hanger is just huge. It had a lot of the twin engine WWII planes that are too big for many other museums. It not like the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field but I enjoyed it.

jetjack74

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:02 pm

But, what do all of you think? What are your favorite museums?

Fleet Air Arm at Yeovilton, Somerset
IWM/American Air Museum at Duxford
Wright/Patterson AFB
USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor, HI
USS Missouri, "Mighty Mo" in Pearl Harbor, HI
USS New Jersey in Camden, NJ
US Army Mueseum at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Aberdeen MD( They had a nice collection of heavy equipment and arms. To bad they were all out in the elements rotting away)

One day, I would like to visit the HMS Victory in Portsmouth, UK and the HMS Belfast in London, UK.

Very good choice, along with the Mary Rose, beside it. I went there in 1987.

[Edited 2007-04-01 09:07:19]
Made from jets!

kc135topboom

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 19):

Very good choice, along with the Mary Rose, beside it. I went there in 1987.

I will, thanks.

Has anyone been to the Gen. George S. Patton Museum of Armor at Fort Knox, KY? I am thinking of going there, too. I understand that all of the tanks on display actually work, as do their weapons. I have been told they have examples of tanks from every country that has operated or built (so not just US tanks) them since WWI. Is that true?

ebj1248650

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:10 am

Okay, we have talked about best fighters and bombers. There are a lot of very good candidates in each category.

But, I really like aviation and naval museums. Some of my favorites are:

My favorite is the USAF Museum. As a truck driver, it's nice to be able to go there and find a place set up for big rig parking. Last time I was there parking and admission were free. Outstanding collection of airplanes. And the nice surprise was the discovery their gift shop items aren't overpriced. Bought several books there and came away feeling I'd paid an appropriate price for each.

USS Alabama museum is nicely done. PIMA Air Museum is wonderful. What was the SAC Museum is now the Strategic Air And Space Museum and it's worth a visit.
Dare to dream; dream big!

kc135topboom

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:12 am

On a personal note, I am disappointed the USAF museum does not have a KC-135A on display. Yes, they do have an NC-135A and an EC-135N (both outside), but no tanker. There are many examples of the KC-135s around the country as gate guards (at Dyess AFB, TX), or exhibits (like at Castle). They need one, as they do have current inventory airplanes like the B-2A, B-1B, F-117A, and others. I don't believe they have a C-141 or C-5, yet, either.

zanl188

Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 22):
I am disappointed the USAF museum does not have a KC-135A on display.

Agreed. I'd suggest you pick out a historically relevant airframe and suggest it to them. My educated guess is they have an airframe in mind and it just hasn't become available yet.

They need one, as they do have current inventory airplanes like the B-2A, B-1B, F-117A, and others. I don't believe they have a C-141 or C-5, yet, either.

The B-2 & F117 they have are preproduction or flight test examples.... Quite likely they will go to another museum when a historically relevant airframe becomes available as happened with the B-1A.

On the C-141 check again... They've had one since last May.

The C-5s that were retired were stripped for parts, hardly display worthy. I'm not aware of any other available C-5s -- unlike the C-141, C-17, and C-130 no C-5 has ever had a continuing flight test role. In a number of instances the USAF Museum got test machines long before a machine with an operational history became available. The first A-10, F-15, F-4, C-135, and B-1 they had were all test machines.

dc8jet

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 am

A couple of smaller museums that I thought were interesting are the Bradley Air Museum in Windsor Locks CT and the US Navy Submarine museum in New London CT. Something different is the submarine USS Albacore in Portsmouth NH as it on land.

ghostbase

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:06 pm

The best museum of my last visit U.S. visit (AR, KS, & OK) was the Kansas Aviation Museum at the old Wichita Municipal Airport terminal, where I understand the B-29 'Doc' is now located. Some beautifully restored planes in the old terminal building and an interesting collection of more recent aircraft outside including quite a few civilian types. And a KC-135E  Wink

From a personal point of view I prefer the smaller museums where you can still smell that old aircraft smell and talk to the staff or even owner. A couple that stand out for me are the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in CO, also the Aviation Cadet Museum at Silver Wings Field, Eureka Springs AR which has one and a half Thuds, a 'Hun', and an F-5! As well as an incredibly enthusiastic owner with big plans.

In Europe the weirdest had to be the Kozlekedesi (transport) Museum in Budapest, chock full of mainly civilian aircraft and some space memoribilia. I was the only visitor and the entire staff took great pleasure in stalking me as I walked round; it was like being in a 60's spy film! If in Malta do visit the Malta Aviation Museum at Ta'Qali, really excellent.

In the UK my choice would have to be the Midland Aviation Museum at Baginton near Coventry. Very friendly, well informed, superb collection of aircraft and exhibits connected with the local aircraft industry of days past.

Quoting Keesje (Reply 9):
I think english food sucks as does their fashion

LOL! This from the country that gave us the C&A fashion experience!!!

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

Venus6971

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 25):
A couple that stand out for me are the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum in CO

I have been there, they have a excellent B-29 in a hanger, it needs some sheetmetal work on the lower wing because of corrosion besides that it is intact

propatriamori

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned the USS Midway...

Went there last month, it has to be one of the best museums I've ever seen. You pretty much get to go everywhere, the Audio Tour is great, and they have really done a great job showing what life was like for the men and women on the ship. Pretty nice collection of Aircraft, in nice shape as well. A very classy outfit.

Pima is pretty good, the aircraft they have in the hangars there are beautiful. There was just so much to see there it was hard to take it all in.

Not an Aviation museum really, but pretty close to Pima is the Titan Missile Museum. It's worth the ride down to check it out, they have a really nice little outfit down there and it really gives you an idea of what life was like for the those who had to pull duty down on the missile silos and control rooms. Another classy outfit.

kc135topboom

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Propatriamori (Reply 27):
I can't believe no one has mentioned the USS Midway...

I have heard the Midway is in great shape. As I said earlier, I was disappointed in the condition of the Lexington. I also said that Battleship Cove is my favorite naval museum. They take great care of all their warships. But, there is a great airplane museum in Galveston, TX. I forget what the name is.

deltadc9

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:12 am

The USS Alabama museum in Mobile, AL was nice as it was my first time on a Battleship, and they had the USS Drum submarine for tours next to it. The air portion was memorable for the B-52, YF-17 and most importantly my only look at an A-12 Blackbird.

Quoting Jaws707 (Reply 4):
The Interpid Museum in NYC is a good one as well.

Remember this is out of commission for a while

The USS Alabama museum in Mobile

Awesome experience

The U-505 in Chicago

My favorite

The USAF Museum in Dayton

The air show cannot be beat....

Noone mentioned the Smithsonian??????? WTF?

Why so long to mention Pearl?

P.S. You can board and tour a WWII LST museum ship in Evansville Indiana if you are ever in the area.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

zanl188

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 29):

The Air & Space Museum is not really a military museum, though they have some military exhibits. Also I didn't care for how they handled the Enola Gay exhibit a few years ago - revisionist history at its best...

KevinSmith

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 30):

I did.

keesje

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Ghostbase (Reply 25):
LOL! This from the country that gave us the C&A fashion experience!!!

I never suggested dutch food is great, it´s functional at best. Luckily we have a lot of immigrants that limit the damage by setting up taste full restaurants everywhere.

The goes for fashion, when walking around in Paris, Rome and return to the dutch streets I know we have a problem. But still better then the US where looking as "casual" as possible seems to be the law  Wink

Back to the topic at the AB Soesterberg (where the Royal 32 TFS suddenly dissapeared once) there is a nice militairy aviation museum with a nice side program for your kids (if they understand dutch  Wink ) http://www.militaireluchtvaartmuseum.nl/
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

deltadc9

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 31):
I did.

Yes you did, my bad.

Just a suggestion, if you are in Chicago the U-505 is fantastic, but the Museum of Science and Industry also has several warplanes on display. The thing that always fascinated me about them was the flak and bullet holes in them. This is my favorite museum period for a lot of reasons.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

Venus6971

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 33):
but the Museum of Science and Industry also has several warplanes on display. The thing that always fascinated me about them was the flak and bullet holes in them. This is my favorite museum period for a lot of reasons.

Plus the worlds greastest HO model train layout.

CaptOveur

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:52 am

. I don't believe they have a C-141 or C-5, yet, either.

They are getting a C-141 very soon if they don't have it already... Hanoi Taxi, the C-141C painted like an A just to confuse all the European spotters on this site.

they were going to get a C-5, but the active fleet can't spare the jacks necessary to display it properly  stirthepot 
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

kc135topboom

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 35):
they were going to get a C-5, but the active fleet can't spare the jacks necessary to display it properly

LOL

KevinSmith

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 35):
They are getting a C-141 very soon if they don't have it already... Hanoi Taxi, the C-141C painted like an A just to confuse all the European spotters on this site.

It's there now.I saw it in person in May. It was on Mail Call the other night.

petertenthije

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:54 am

For the maritime museums I have visited and thoroughly enjoyed
  • HMS Belfast.
  • Maritiem museum Amsterdam (including full scale replica VOC vessel... maybe too old for this forum)
  • Batavia Werf Lelystad (including full scale replica VOC vessel and another under construction... maybe too old for this forum)
  • For some reason I was not too impressed with the maritime museum in Greenwich London.

As for aviation museums, I am missing the following museums:
  • Musee the l'Air et de l'Espace (Le Bourget)
  • Monino (Come on, this is the granddaddy of them all when it comes to soviet/russian planes. Why was it not mentioned? Hope to visit it some day.)
  • From pictures the Belgrade museums seems very good too.
  • Brussels aviation museum has a large WW1 collection. Temporarily closed for renovation.
Attamottamotta!

dlednicer
Crew

Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:40 am

I love every aviation museum I've visited. My list includes, in no particular order:

The Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow - a little dark, but full of unique aircraft

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Royal Thai Air Force Museum in Bangkok - loaded with one-of-a-kind aircraft

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Evergreen Aviation Museum in Oregon - also loaded with one-of-a-kind aircraft

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Museum of Flight in Seattle (and restoration center in Everett)

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The National Air & Space Museum (mall and Udvar-Hazy) - dark and tripods aren't allowed, but full of aircraft
The USAF Museum (or whatever they call it now) - crowded and dark, but great
The Pima Air & Space Museum

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Israel Air Force Museum

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Tango Squadron in Chiang Mai

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The RAF Museum in Hendon
The Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton
The South Kensington Science Museum in London
The Turkish Air Force Museum in Istanbul

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The San Diego Aerospace Museum

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Milestones of Flight Museum in Lancaster

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Western Aerospace Museum in Oakland, surprisingly full of light

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos - a little dark and crowded, but great

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Olympic Flight Museum in Olympia

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Addison (Dallas)

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Commemorative Air Force in Atlanta

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum in NYC
The Planes of Fame Museum in Chino
The March AFB Museum in Riverside
The Vietnam Air Force Museum (and other museums) in Hanoi

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) - kinda small

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Yankee Air Museum in Ypsilanti
The Air Force Flight Test Center Museum Airpark at Edwards AFB

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Plant 42 Heritage Airpark in Palmdale

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Tillamook Naval Air Station Museum in Tillamook - very dark
The Glenn L. Martin Aviation Museum in Middle River

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The EAA Airventure Museum in Oshkosh

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Kalamazoo

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum in Anchorage
Wally Fisk's collection in Minnesota - I don't think its open to the general public any more
The Fighter Aircraft Museum in Mesa - now moved to the Museum of Flight in Seattle
The New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks
The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago - small, but where else are you going to see a real Stuka?
Grissom AFB Museum in Kokomo

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

The Canada Aviation Museum in Ottawa
The British Columbia Aviation Museum in Sidney

Ones I've missed:
Kbely outside of Prague - forgot to schedule it in
The Republic of China Air Force Museum in Taipei - had to catch a flight and ran out of time
Vigna di Valle outside of Rome - had it scheduled, but lacked transportation

Coming soon: I should be visiting the Chinese museum in Datangshan in May...

dlednicer
Crew

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 am

I forgot Cole Palen's Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome Museum

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

BEG2IAH

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:13 pm

There's a very good aviation museum at BEG.

http://www.muzejrv.org/postavka/index.html
(Everything's only in Serbian, but you'll get the idea).

Link to some pics:
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...truecount=false&engine_version=6.0

BEG2IAH

WrenchBender

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:28 pm

Quoting Dlednicer (Reply 39):
Ones I've missed:

Add this one to your list:-
http://secure.warplane.com/index.html
Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton, ON, Canada

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

sphealey

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:08 am

There is a privately-owned collection at Creve Coeur Airport in St. Louis ( 1H0 ) that has more 1920s, 1930s, and even 1910s biplanes and monoplanes than I have seen anywhere else in the world. They are all in flyable or restore-to-flight condition rather than perfect historical accuracy, but just looking at them is amazing.

If you are thinking of going, be sure to call and make an appointment because no matter what the web site says (
http://www.historicaircraftrestorationmuseum.org/ ) on any given day the owner might decide to fly some of his collection rather than give tours. Which I can tell you is a bit of a bummer if you have traveled to get there.

Also get a good printout from Mapquest because it is hard to find the road to the airport even if you get off the motorway at the right exit.

sPh

deltadc9

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 34):
Plus the worlds greastest HO model train layout.

When I was there last the still had the huge Lionel layout, O scale I believe, that was there since the 70s at least. Did that change?

Venus6971

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 44):
When I was there last the still had the huge Lionel layout, O scale I believe, that was there since the 70s at least. Did that change?

Not to along ago that they updated it to show what has changed in the rr industry. http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/great_train_story/index.html

deltadc9

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 45):
Not to along ago that they updated it to show what has changed in the rr industry.

Thanks! We did not go over there last time in town becuase I still had not seen Sue the TRex. Being a big train and Santa Fe RR fan, that is where I am going next time. I know they also added to their locomotive collection too.

I never get enough of thst UBoat too, it is simply facinating.

checksixx

Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:24 am

Kalamazoo has a wonderful collection and of course its the only place in the world you can see an SR-71B!

Check

kc135topboom

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:29 pm

There is suppose to be a good museum in Addison, TX. I will have to go over to it, since I live in Fort Worth. Also, Dyess AFB, TX has several gate guard airplanes on display.

SP90

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:56 am

I recently visited the naval museum at Patriot's Point in Charleston, SC. There was the USS Yorktown (CV 10), USS Laffey (DD 724), USS Clamagore (SS 343) and USCG Ingham. The airplane collection on the Yorktown is not as extensive as Intrepid, the flight deck not nearly as crowded. The lack in aircraft was made up for by the amount of lower deck compartments on display. On the Intrepid you couldn't go below the hanger deck so this was the first time I got to see below decks on a aircraft carrier. Going through the self guided tour on all four ships at the museum takes about 3-5 hours depending on your pace. I drove down from Myrtle Beach which took about 90 minutes so travel time plus the tour took a full day.

The USS North Carolina (BB 55) was a nice tour too. It was the first battleship I visited so there was that sense of awe when you finally face to face with the 16" projectile. Some of the lower deck areas are open like the engine room and the 16" turret. It too bad its only a one ship display. Adding it to the Patriot's Point museum would be nice. =)

Can anyone recommend other naval or aviation museum in the Carolinas? I've seen brochures about an aviation museum at CLT. Maybe it is currently undergoing renovations because I cannot seem to find the entrance for it. Maybe I should follow the directions on their website instead of my GPS.