soundtrack

Air Display Teams Get Paid To Attend Airshows?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm wondering if famous display teams get paid to attend shows, as they are often the main attraction.

Like the Thunderbirds attending Air Tattoo.

Or a team attending Oshkosh (private)?

Those air shows prize their marketing around famous teams, so does the US Military receive a fee if the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels attend a show?

Anyone welcome with their two sense.

vzlet

RE: Air Display Teams Get Paid To Attend Airshows?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:31 pm

I don't think that military demos receive any direct financial compensation.

It may not directly answer your question because it deals with single-ship (rather than team) demos, but this document details the USAF requirements for participation in a show. I would think that the T-Birds/Blue Angels have similar logistical requirements.
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

f4wso

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:08 pm

The teams have logistical requirements such as vehicles, hotel rooms, exercise facilities, etc. that need to be provided by the airshow.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

ZBBYLW

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:19 pm

Same with the snowbirds in Canada, they pay for fuel other then that they expect one big car for every two pilots a hotel room (not sure if its single or double occupancy) diesel (for smoke show) as well as others... Ill try and go find the link for you.

Edit: http://www.snowbirds.forces.gc.ca/site/hosting/hosting_e.asp This website is dealing with booking the team.. there are three annexes that deal with requirements.

[Edited 2007-04-26 15:22:05]
Keep the shinny side up!

jettaknight

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:45 pm

Interesting read from the USAF Thunderbirds site:

http://www.thunderbirds.acc.af.mil/w...dfiles/2007%20Support%20Manual.doc

Obviously, the 'Demonstration Fee' ($6,000 oer show) is more of a token than an attempt to cover actual costs. The document covers the responsibilities of the promoter for everything from team hotel rooms and rental cars to the specs for the smoke oil.

[Edited 2007-04-26 16:59:36]

jwenting

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:51 pm

Indeed the teams do not get paid, certainly they don't make a profit.
Of course that's only true for the military teams, some of the commercial teams do get paid and make a profit.

Fees the military teams charge will mostly go towards insurance and covering actual cost of being on site, and even that's often carried by the team itself.
After all, they're promotional tools for their governments, trying to get people to join the armed forces and/or assisting in the sale of military equipment by showing off that equipment.

And then there's the people just showing off their aircraft, who do it for the joy of flying. They'll get fuel and a hot meal, maybe a hotel room for the night, and that's it.
I wish I were flying