CX747
Topic Author

Applying To The Airlines With Helicopter Time

Tue May 08, 2007 3:22 am

Is there anyway to apply to the airlines with only helo time and no fixed wing? If you've been flying in the Army for 6 years and have 5000 TT in UH-60s do the airlines look at it as operating a turbine or does it have to be fixed wing?

[Edited 2007-05-07 20:54:33]
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

UH60FtRucker

RE: Applying To The Airlines With Helicopter Time

Tue May 08, 2007 6:20 am

Well if you're in the Army,and you're a Hawk driver... then you must know at least a FEW buddies who left to go fly for an airline.

I know two guys off the top of my head, who finished their contractual six years, and left to go fly for an airline. Both were CW2[P] and both had roughly the same amount of hours, as you cited.

But I think it's a lot like any other good job a person can get coming out of the military - it's not so much what you know, but who you know!

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

DeltaGuy

Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 am

Indeed..."it's obvious you won't survive on your wits alone, so ride some coat tails", someone once said that.

A good friend of mine just got on with ASA after being a CW2 'Hawk pilot for awhile. Just had to get his 100 hrs multi and he was good to go.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

rwessel

Tue May 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Quoting CX747 (Thread starter):
Is there anyway to apply to the airlines with only helo time and no fixed wing? If you've been flying in the Army for 6 years and have 5000 TT in UH-60s do the airlines look at it as operating a turbine or does it have to be fixed wing?

Is it actually common to rack up 830+ UH-60 hours per year?

2H4

Tue May 08, 2007 3:04 pm

It depends on the airline. Southwest, for example, does not consider rotary-wing time:

- Flight Experience:
2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours TURBINE total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in command3, as defined below is required. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO etc. NO other time is counted.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

PhilSquares

Tue May 08, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting CX747 (Thread starter):

Most majors won't consider any rotary time. Some will allow you to factor in some of it as long as you have a certain amount of turbine fixed wing time.
Fly fast, live slow

cancidas

Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 am

it's hard, but not impossible. i started aplying with 2000TT, most of the rotary and was only outright turned down by eagle. most carriers wanted me to convert that time to fixed wing, but none would hire me at the time.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."