aerlinguscargo

Behind Enemy Lines Question

Wed May 09, 2007 2:27 pm

i know that there was a topic devoted to this movie when it came out but it didn't answer my question, and i thought that resurrecting it might cause a little confusion.

in the movie Owen Wilson's caracter decides to leave the navy and fly commercial jets. he is a backseater on an f-18. would a transition like this be possible, how much flight training would he have had?

f4wso

RE: Behind Enemy Lines Question

Wed May 09, 2007 2:35 pm

I know several RIOs and WSOs that are flying commercially. You have to get your private, commercial, instrument, and multi-engine ratings on your own. Veteran's Administration benefits may offset some of that cost. The military crew experience is beneficial towards overall sitIiuational awareness.

I took this picture on last day flying air freight before moving on to a regional.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gary Chambers

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA

[Edited 2007-05-09 07:40:34]
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

DeltaGuy

Wed May 09, 2007 2:59 pm

This movie sucks, btw- nice fake missle scene followed by an Wizzo who leaves his pilot behind to get shot....right.

But I've seen a handful of 'fo's get out and work their way up the ladder through VA money or their own funds. Some got some hours in the right seat of an S-3 or C-12 and somehow counted it and managed to sell it to an airline.

Small world- a few years back I met a Pinnacle CRJ F/O....turns out he was a backseater on the RA-5C Vigilante and flew with my uncle many times....you don't meet too many of those dudes.

I've also met several enlisted folks who get their ratings and go to the airlines without ever having been an actual military pilot. Any mil experience looks good in this business.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

gocaps16

Wed May 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 2):
I've also met several enlisted folks who get their ratings and go to the airlines without ever having been an actual military pilot. Any mil experience looks good in this business.

You and I, bro...soon.

Many flying clubs instructors are active duty/reserve enlisted guys, as well as officers, prior aviators. Get out and fly for the airlines. That's also my plan for when I get out of the military. Thanks to the VA benefits and experience in aviation.