PC12Fan
Topic Author

DOH! Pilot Violates Space Shuttle Airspace

Wed May 23, 2007 6:01 am

Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

checksixx

RE: DOH! Pilot Violates Space Shuttle Airspace

Wed May 23, 2007 6:29 am

I love that video report! Who was the idiot she was talking too? Shoulder launched missiles...I don't think so! What an idiot.

L-188

Wed May 23, 2007 12:02 pm

I wouldn't blame the pilot.

There are numerous stories of pilots wandering into unannouced TFR's that where't mentioned by the FSS during their briefings.

There is a reason to have to NASA forms on hand.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

unattendedbag

Wed May 23, 2007 12:11 pm

The beach is only a couple of miles from the pad. How close does he have to get before the stinger missles are launched.  rotfl 
Slower traffic, keep right

Mir

Wed May 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 2):
I wouldn't blame the pilot.

There are numerous stories of pilots wandering into unannouced TFR's that where't mentioned by the FSS during their briefings.

Except that the airspace over KSC isn't a TFR - it's a continuously operating restricted area (at and below 5,000 - higher is not always active), and is marked as such on the charts.

I'm not saying that he did know better than to do that, but he should have.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

jhooper

Wed May 23, 2007 12:59 pm

They mentioned they had the pilot "in custody"? So they actually arrested him? On what charges?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

BladeLWS

Wed May 23, 2007 2:01 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 5):
They mentioned they had the pilot "in custody"? So they actually arrested him? On what charges?

Violating restricted airspace without authorization and probably a dozen more aviation laws.

L-188

Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Except that the airspace over KSC isn't a TFR - it's a continuously operating restricted area (at and below 5,000 - higher is not always active), and is marked as such on the charts.

Some of it is, Some of it is Temp airspace that is only activated for launches or military activities out of Patrick AFB.

It really is a pretty complicated piece of sky.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

checksixx

Thu May 24, 2007 5:45 am

Either way you look at it...he screwed up....I'm sure it wasn't on purpose...the reporter doesn't know anything about KSC security and there was no harm done. IF he's allowed to continue flying, he'll be a better pilot for it.

-Check

eksath
Crew

Thu May 24, 2007 9:58 am

The NASA's air force means business too.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

World Wide Aerospace Photography

jhooper

Thu May 24, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting BladeLWS (Reply 6):
Violating restricted airspace without authorization and probably a dozen more aviation laws.

Violating restricted airspace is certainly a violation of FAA regulations (not necessarily a crime), but the FAA doesn't have the power to arrest you, only to suspend or revoke an airman certificate. And last time I checked, only the FAA (not the local police or states) have the power to enforce "aviation laws" (regulations). So I ask again, was the guy actually arrested by the cops, and what is the crime here? By all means, take away his ticket but since when can you actually go to jail for accidently violating airspace?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

BladeLWS

Thu May 24, 2007 12:49 pm

He was not arrested. He was detained by the authorities for questioning why he violated the airspace. Basically the government doesn't let you go on your merry way when you do something like this. They will bring you down and detain you until you are cleared by the FBI that you are not a terrorist or something of the sort.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...ry?coll=orl-news-headlines-volusia

fumanchewd

Wed May 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting Jhooper (Reply 10):
By all means, take away his ticket but since when can you actually go to jail for accidently violating airspace?

I believe that the police can arrest people for endangerment in situations like this. It is not only a FAA rule but also a public law. I also wouldn't be suprised if there isn't some DHD rule now too.

I used to work with a guy that buzzed his high school in a 172 after 9/11. He was arrested by the police as soon as they caught up with him. He ended up doing some jail time and it had very little to do with the FAA.

[Edited 2007-05-30 08:49:01]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

kbfispotter

Wed May 30, 2007 5:42 pm

I am trying to remember all of the airspace restrictions around KSC post 9/11, and I seem to remember that when a shuttle is on the pad, or in transit to the pad, the whole area becomes a no fly zone, from SR528 on north, and the west shore of the Indian River to the Atlantic. Prior to 9/11, one could request a "Shuttle Tour" from ATC, and they would line you up from a low altitude pass (500') down the left side of the Shuttle Landing Facility. It was a fun thing to do, and I think they no longer do those due to security.

As for air defense, they do have SAMs at KSC, in the form of stingers and patriots ) at least they did until 2003. I can remember working at the Visitor's Center (I worked at the Apollo/Saturn V Center as a tour guide), and watching F-15s and F-16s flying CAP over the shuttle while they rolled it out for the first mission post 9/11. When I left KSC in the fall of 2002, the Patriot batteries were still in place. So I would imagine that the place is very secure, and if a plane got too close to the shuttle, they would not hesitate to take it down if all other options fail.

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

Analog

Thu May 31, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 13):
. So I would imagine that the place is very secure, and if a plane got too close to the shuttle, they would not hesitate to take it down if all other options fail.

Given that a guy can fly a Cessna into the Whitehouse or fly a stolen chopper over the Whitehouse and hover there for 6 minutes http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/ustreas/usss/t1pubrpt.html , I have my doubts about NASA's resolve in such an event. I'm sure they would hesitate (wouldn't you?); I just wonder if they'd actually use their capabilities.

checksixx

Thu May 31, 2007 10:25 pm

Quoting KBFIspotter (Reply 13):
As for air defense, they do have SAMs at KSC, in the form of stingers and patriots ) at least they did until 2003. I can remember working at the Visitor's Center (I worked at the Apollo/Saturn V Center as a tour guide), and watching F-15s and F-16s flying CAP over the shuttle while they rolled it out for the first mission post 9/11. When I left KSC in the fall of 2002, the Patriot batteries were still in place.

I don't think so.