Devilfish

India To Buy Six C-130Js For Special Forces

Thu May 31, 2007 6:03 am

The DSCA has notified Congress of the possible sale of six LockMart C-130J Hercules aircraft and ancilliaries to the IAF.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...eH8AAAEAAG-Tmo8AAAAJ&modele=jdc_34

The aircraft are reportedly to be configured for Special Operations. Other report here.....

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...-for-special-forces/index.php#more

Would those be the same as the AC-130 gunship?
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

dl021

RE: India To Buy Six C-130Js For Special Forces

Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 am

probably more like the RAF and USAF special ops birds which support SOF ops such as helo refueling, low and high level parachute drops, package retrieval, and other special forces mission support operations needed.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

HAWK21M

Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm

Finally the IAF going west for purchases in this catergory.Will the An12s continue.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dl021

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 4):
I was just referring to that it takes more than a fancy beret or some crap like that to make your forces "special

The Indian army has some excellent special forces and marines. Their jungle school is on the syllabus for several other militaries including the US.

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 9):
My main question is, are there significant differences between an AC-130U Spooky, AC-130H Spectre and MC-130 Combat Talon at all?

Oh hell yes. The Spooky/Spectre are very different from the Combat Talon. MC-130s are multi-mission aircraft that are capable of very low flight, hi/lo parachute ops, air-air refuelling (both intake and delivery) as well as special packages for elint and targeting.

Spectre and Spooky are purpose converted gunships unsuited for any of the other operations. You can't really mount guns on the MC airplanes.

India is not looking for the gunships as far as I can tell....they want the multi-mission SOF support aircraft that the RAF has.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Devilfish

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 13):

Spectre and Spooky are purpose converted gunships unsuited for any of the other operations. You can't really mount guns on the MC airplanes.

India is not looking for the gunships as far as I can tell....they want the multi-mission SOF support aircraft that the RAF has.

They wouldn't be needing these bad boys, then.....

http://boeingmedia.com/imageDetail.cfm?id=14861&clr=release

DAYflyer

Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:55 am

I have heard a lot of knocks on the C-130J program, that it isn't really all that great of an aircraft....can someone clarify if it is a good bird?
One Nation Under God

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 15):
I have heard a lot of knocks on the C-130J program

Lets hear some.
regds
MEL

Devilfish

Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 pm

Another deal approved.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...rts-utility-helicopter-tender.html

Quote:
"Plans to re-equip the Indian armed forces are moving ahead, with government approval to purchase six Lockheed Martin C-130Js and a fresh tender for utility helicopters.

The $1 billion C-130 contract will be the biggest defence deal between India and the USA if confirmed, as expected, during US defence secretary Robert Gates' visit to New Delhi in March. Deliveries should start three years after the contract is signed.

The C-130Js are intended for India's special forces. Jim Grant, Lockheed's vice-president for air mobility and special operations, says the aircraft configuration for India 'is different from any of the C-130Js being manufactured for international customers'."

Something like this?.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Erik Sleutelberg

.....Or these.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sunil Gupta
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gregg stansbery

View Large View Medium

Photo © Roel reijne
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael van der Mee - Touchdown Aviation

View Large View Medium

Photo © Koen Leuvering
View Large View Medium

Photo © João Eduardo Sequeira - AzoresAirPhotos

[Edited 2008-02-04 13:41:27]

Lumberton

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Flight reports that India is seeking 6 options in addition to the 6 that will likely be ordered.
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...s-six-lockheed-c-130j-options.html

Quote:
ndia has asked for six options for Lockheed Martin C-130Js, potentially doubling the number of aircraft that it will induct in the next decade.
A $1 billion contract for six C-130Js is likely to be inked when US defence secretary Robert Gates visits New Delhi in March, and will be the biggest military deal between the two countries. Deliveries are expected to begin around 2010.

"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Devilfish

Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Update:

First Indian C-130J-30 in IAF livery.....

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/a...0/c-130J_India-paint-hangar_tn.jpg

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...irst-c-130j-in-indian-colours.html

These will make a good combination with the C-17s they're getting.

Lumberton

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Speaking of C-17s:

UPDATE 1-Boeing says more India C-17 orders possible

Quote:
FARNBOROUGH, England, July 19 (Reuters) - India could buy 10 to 12 more C-17 transport planes from Boeing Co (BA.N) beyond the 10 planes already planned, Christopher Chadwick, president of Boeing military aircraft told Reuters on Monday.

Boeing, the No. 2 U.S. defense contractor, is forecasting strong demand for the C-17 planes, which have been used heavily during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Chadwick said at the Farnborough Airshow outside London.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Devilfish

Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:01 am

ebj1248650

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:18 pm

C-130J had some problems during development and from what I understand it caused significant delays in initial deliveries. Since then, I've neither heard nor read anything that even remotely suggests the C-130J has turned out to be less than what the specifications called for.
Dare to dream; dream big!

kc135topboom

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Quoting ebj1248650 (Reply 26):
C-130J had some problems during development and from what I understand it caused significant delays in initial deliveries. Since then, I've neither heard nor read anything that even remotely suggests the C-130J has turned out to be less than what the specifications called for.

That was true with the launch customer, the RAF. However, LM has fixed all those problems in the last 10 + years. The C-130J program is just fine now.

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 24):
Speaking of C-17s:

UPDATE 1-Boeing says more India C-17 orders possible

Quote:
FARNBOROUGH, England, July 19 (Reuters) - India could buy 10 to 12 more C-17 transport planes from Boeing Co (BA.N) beyond the 10 planes already planned, Christopher Chadwick, president of Boeing military aircraft told Reuters on Monday.

Boeing, the No. 2 U.S. defense contractor, is forecasting strong demand for the C-17 planes, which have been used heavily during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Chadwick said at the Farnborough Airshow outside London.

A new twist for the C-17?

kaitak

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 pm

It must be a very big culture change for IAF pilots converting from current types - such as the An-12/30 etc - to the C-130J and C-17A. I don't know how many crewmembers are on the older Russian types, but presumably the avionics on the Herk and particularly, the C-17, will make most of them redundant. I know some of the older Russian types now have GPS devices, but even still, they are very different machines from the newer types; the training regime required to convert IAF pilots to the new machines must be quite lengthy and complex.

UH60FtRucker

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:24 pm

Honestly, I don't know why the US is so apathetic towards fostering a stronger relationship with India. Especially considering how much energy we waste on Pakistan. Having personally worked along side Pakistan, they are pathetic and not worth the effort.

India could be our best ally in the region, our next "UK". A strong and confident India would help to counter others such as Pakistan, Iran, China, Burma. We have a hell of a lot more in common, economically and politically than any other nation in the region. They're technically and tactically competent. We ought to be training more with them, and selling them more equipment.

It drives me nuts how much crap we put up with, when it comes to the Pakistanis. Ugh.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

comorin

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:29 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 15):
Honestly, I don't know why the US is so apathetic towards fostering a stronger relationship with India

There's blame on both sides. It started from the days of John Foster Dulles, and the US was never happy with India's ties with the USSR. On the other hand, India was sore when the US did not step in to help during its wars with its neighbors. Also, India has a significant number of communists in its body politic and they too are anti-US.

But times have changed, much for the better. The US-India relationship is in full bloom, and the cultural and economic basis is very strong. A lot of hard work by the Indian diaspora in the US has helped build trust, as both countries have been hurt badly by Jihadists.

Having personally worked along side Pakistan, they are pathetic and not worth the effort.

To paraphrase your tag line, 'An army of asses led by asses?'  
India could be our best ally in the region, our next "UK". A strong and confident India would help to counter others such as Pakistan, Iran, China, Burma. We have a hell of a lot more in common, economically and politically than any other nation in the region. They're technically and tactically competent. We ought to be training more with them, and selling them more equipment.

Totally. But dealing with a chaotic democracy like India is also no walk in the park! Indians are very prickly as national pride is a big deal. I think Bush, the Clintons and now Obama have done a lot to forge a new relationship based on mutual respect, as has Israel, now arguably India's largest defence supplier.

To play a larger role in India, the US will also have to assure the Indians that they will supply through thick and thin - which is asking a lot of Congress and the Administration. India, in return, will need to understand that it is evolving into an ally of the US, and that the US can count on it for support.

The US should outsource its role as peacekeeper to India for the region. A win-win for all and poetic justice indeed!

CaliAtenza

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:43 am

It drives me nuts how much crap we put up with, when it comes to the Pakistanis. Ugh.

The same thing me and my dad have been saying for years whenever we discuss this topic. Im a proud Indian-American and i would love India to become the US's strongest ally in the region. Hopefully the IAF picks US hardware in the MRCF competition.

[Edited 2010-08-03 02:45:26]

Devilfish

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:56 am

Pictures here of IAF C-130 first flight.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...eed-flies-indias-first-c-130j.html

Quote:
"India's first US-built military transport has made its debut flight, with the Lockheed Martin C-130J having taken to the air from Marietta, Georgia on 4 October.

The first of six stretched-fuselage Hercules on order for the Indian air force, aircraft KC-3801 will be followed by two more examples getting airborne 'within the next few weeks', Lockheed says."

And as an aside, talks are ongoing for a further four P-8Is.

himmat01

Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:07 am

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 18):
Quote:
"India's first US-built military transport has made its debut flight, with the Lockheed Martin C-130J having taken to the air from Marietta, Georgia on 4 October.

Certainly not the first US built military transport aircrafts with the IAF, It has flown the C-119 Flying Box Car in the past. IAF also flew the C-47 Dakota.
An airplane might disappoint any pilot but it'll never surprise a good one.

bikerthai

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Quoting comorin (Reply 16):
But dealing with a chaotic democracy like India is also no walk in the park!

The US have to deal with Italians, Greeks, and the French . . .

I would assume that at least the India Government have control over the Indian Military as opposed to the other way around (AKA Pakistan). That is always a plus.

And finally both India and the US can look at their common past as they step into the future . . . be glad that both were once ruled by the Brits and not the French.  
Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 18):
And as an aside, talks are ongoing for a further four P-8Is.

Everyone is saying that things will become official when Obama visit India.

Lets hope there are no major crisis to arise from now 'till then.

bikerthai
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

bennett123

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:38 pm

This means one more country NOT buying the A400M

Devilfish

Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:02 am

Devilfish

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

They must've liked the first six a lot so they want six more?,,,,,

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ks-to-buy-six-more-c-130js-362935/

Quote:
"The Indian air force is in negotiations to order a second batch of six Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules, the US-based manufacturer has confirmed.

The new order will expand the fleet of six C-130Js India ordered in 2008, which Lockheed has already delivered.

The Indian air force immediately deployed its newly-delivered C-130Js in humanitarian missions, including relief flights to remote areas in northern India."

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getasset.aspx?itemid=42238

JoeCanuck

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:35 am

Quoting caliatenza (Reply 17):

The same thing me and my dad have been saying for years whenever we discuss this topic. Im a proud Indian-American and i would love India to become the US's strongest ally in the region.

This will happen...and I think it is happening right now, but relatively quietly so not to upset Pakistan and China.

The US has much more in common with India than it has with either of the other two countries.

Pakistan is a necessary but temperamental ally and China will never be fully trusted enough to be a true ally.

If, (hopefully when), India better controls, (or directs), the corruption in government, they will overtake China.

At the moment, China speaks and acts with one voice, (regardless of behind the scenes drama), and that solidarity allows them to progress. India needs this kind of solidarity while maintaining the ingenuity and innovation that can flourish in an environment where free thinking and inspiration is not only allowed, but encouraged.

I think many forget that India is still a very young democracy. I have no doubt India will learn the lessons needed to become a true economic giant.
What the...?

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:43 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 24):
This will happen...and I think it is happening right now, but relatively quietly so not to upset Pakistan and China.

I guess the Security Interests of each will determine the Alliance.
US is drifting away from PAK thanks to the Pak logic of supporting Terror privately & opposing it Publically.
China seems to be the big challenge for the US in future.
The US & India have a lot in common.Its just that more understanding of each Interests are needed from both sides.

JoeCanuck

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 25):
The US & India have a lot in common.Its just that more understanding of each Interests are needed from both sides.

I really do think there is a huge diplomatic effort to bring the US and India closer...and I take the silence of any interaction between the two as an indication of the possibility.

The US does huge trade with India, is the most logical strategic partner in the area and yet we hear less about their relations than anybody else. To me, the silence is deafening. India had absolutely no comment about recent US dealings with Pakistan.

India is on a huge re-arming spree and though they are buying a ton of stuff from Russia, they are making some big buys from the states.

As much as the US would love to get all of the Indian weapons business, Russia gives more bang for the buck and the US wants a strong India...regardless of how it gets there.

The States and India, (really India and the 'West', in general), have had some rough relations but I think they fully realise the value of their relationship...which will grow stronger the more unstable the region becomes.
What the...?

HAWK21M

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 26):
India had absolutely no comment about recent US dealings with Pakistan.

I think India has been disapointed at US reaction to cross border terror against India & has been trying to refrain India from any strong response by pleading paintence which is annoying India.It can't be my war & your war on terror,it has to be Our war on terror.What US is facing with PAK is exactly what INDIA predicted would occur.

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 26):
India is on a huge re-arming spree and though they are buying a ton of stuff from Russia, they are making some big buys from the states.

India will buy from a reliable source that will not stop supplies when they feel like under sanctions.It wont be advisibly to depend on one nation alone.

I think the US needs to give strong support to INDIA on the terror issue vis a vis PAK.Which never occurs,& has not let the relations improve to the extent it could.

JoeCanuck

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:39 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):
I think India has been disapointed at US reaction to cross border terror against India & has been trying to refrain India from any strong response by pleading paintence which is annoying India.It can't be my war & your war on terror,it has to be Our war on terror.What US is facing with PAK is exactly what INDIA predicted would occur.

Which is also why I am thinking that especially with the very public scolding of Pakistan by the US, it is more likely the US is finally trying to achieve proper relations with India.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 27):

I think the US needs to give strong support to INDIA on the terror issue vis a vis PAK.Which never occurs,& has not let the relations improve to the extent it could.

I suspect that it is finally dawning on the US what a quagmire they have dug themselves into in Afghanistan and relying on Pakistan, and not only has Pakistan not been helping, they have actively been working against US interests in the region.

The US ignored India for years because India has never been a threat. Pakistan has always been more unstable and the US is terrified, (and rightly so), that Pakistani nukes get into terrorist hands.

The US should have woken up long ago...back even before Pakistan actively aided N. Korea in developing nukes.

Everybody interested in stability in the region is slowly and finally waking up to the fact that no stability can every exist without a strong Indian presence.

It has taken too long but I think the US is finally seeing the light.
What the...?

HAWK21M

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:47 am

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 28):
The US ignored India for years because India has never been a threat. Pakistan has always been more unstable and the US is terrified, (and rightly so), that Pakistani nukes get into terrorist hands.

The Pak nukes are monitored closely by most concerned countries & they will be eliminated before they fall in wrong hands.

India thru experience has realised that they have to fight their war on terror alone & they will do just that Considering India's security Interests.

JoeCanuck

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 29):

India thru experience has realised that they have to fight their war on terror alone & they will do just that Considering India's security Interests.

Which is the best way to go. India's self sufficiency economically and militarily will be the cornerstone to stability in the region...in my opinion.
What the...?

Devilfish

Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Update:

Congress notified of additional six-frame sale.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...possible-india-c-130j-deal-364006/

Quote:
"The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has notified Congress of a possible sale of six more Lockheed Martin C-130J tactical transports to India at a cost of $1.2 billion.

The deal will be conducted under the US Foreign Military Sales mechanism, said the DSCA.

The sale will include six spare Rolls-Royce AE2100-D3 engines, eight BAE Systems AAR-47 missile warning systems, eight BAE ALR-56M advanced radar warning receivers, eight BAE ALE-47 countermeasures dispensing systems, eight FLIR Systems AAQ-22 Star Safire III electro-optical/infrared sensors, eight Rockwell Collins ARC-210 radios and 3,200 flare cartridges."

This, at the very least, confirms both are now comfortable dealing with each other.   

vishaljo

Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Sweet plane the Hercules, shot it arriving for its first public appearance @ Aero India in February

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vishal Jolapara - Indian Aviation Photographers

And here's my friend Rahul's shot of them at their homebase - Hindon Airforce Station

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rahul Devnath

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 30):
Which is the best way to go. India's self sufficiency economically and militarily will be the cornerstone to stability in the region...in my opinion.

Time will tell......China seems more of a concern though.....Its not a Democracy so its tough to know whats going on within....