Topic Author

RAF Nimrod Problems

Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:11 pm

Hi all
Just been watching the news and there has been anundercover report on RAF Nimrods b he programme Panarama. I will be watching this show with interest. What are people's views on the Nimrod. Do you think that they need replacing?
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

RE: RAF Nimrod Problems

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:32 pm

Everytime I watch panorama I end up thinking that they take a small risk/problem/whatever and blow it up out of all proportion in 30 minutes of sensationalist journalism; a poor shadow of it's former self. So I don't hold out much for this program, but we'll see...

Anyway, linky:

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:30 am

Didn't see the programme but from the newspaper reports that had been coming out in the months before, the opinion of those flying them is a big yes.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:12 am

I lost a good friend in the explosion. There have been about another 15 similar occurencies (which have luckily been put out) since the accident last September. The crews dread flying in them now, but cannot refuse- it's their jobs- operational requirements and all that, but it is getting beyond a joke now...

The MRA 4 has not got any updated AAR equipment or added safety equipment for dealing with the same type of accident that happened.

The military chiefs say that the Nimrod is "as safe as it needs to be"- would you get on a civilian aircraft if the CEO or captain stated that?

The simple problem is money- the British military/ government doesn't have any (except to throw at the 25th Anniversary Falklands practices and Flypast...

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:07 am

While I have a lot of respect for the RAF (I worked with them for a couple of years) everytime I see a Nimrod I think back to Kelly Johnson's statement "if it looks good it will fly good". No wonder the RAF crews don't want the fly the Nimrods.