deltadc9

F-15s And EM Interferance

Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:28 am

I was in Panama City Beach last week, which is close to an Air Force base. F-15s would fly down the beach, real low, hot doggin it for the bikinis, no problem with that...

BUT. As I sat at the pool working on my laptop, connected via WIFI, I would lose my connection when they passed by at about 200 feet.

Whats up with that?
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

BladeLWS

RE: F-15s And EM Interferance

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:46 am

The military also uses the same frequencies that WiFi uses, so thats probably what the interference was.

jwenting

Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:55 am

quite likely. WIFI networks are allowed only under the condition that they don't interfere with military use, which means (among other things) they can only transmit at very low power and have to absorb any radiation in their bands without causing sideband transmission back to the source.
Same holds for such things as radio remote control keys for cars and remote garagedoor openers.
I wish I were flying

deltadc9

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:27 pm

Thanks guys, I was pretty sure there was no ECM thing going on, but there had to be an easy explanation.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

checksixx

Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:15 pm

Certain types of RADAR are can also be minorly disruptive...

Devilfish

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:02 am

Might interference increase with the planned upgrade of F-15Cs to AESA radars?......

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...15c-active-radar-upgrade-with.html

Quote:

"The emergency supplemental funding bill for fiscal year 2007, signed by President George Bush in late May, contains about $62 million to upgrade a small number of active duty F-15Cs with an enhancement of the "brick" array APG-63(V)2 radar previously integrated to now use a tile design, says Mike Henchey, Raytheon business development director. Raytheon has previously designated this as the APG-63(V)3, but it is likely to enter service under a new designation in the APG-series, he says. The (V)3 variant refers to the active array of transmitter/receiver modules, with this front-end to be mated with the APG-63(V)1 radar processor already installed on most of the USAF's active duty F-15Cs.

It is unclear how many USAF aircraft will be upgraded to the AESA standard, but with the Air National Guard also having an ongoing programme to order AESA upgrades for up to 48 F-15Cs and the previous batch of aircraft, Raytheon is likely to convert at least 70 aircraft to the new standard, with additional orders likely to follow.

The air force is also running a competition to upgrade the radars on its F-15E fleet to AESA systems. A winner is expected to be announced in October, with the APG-63 bidding against a version of the Northrop Grumman APG-77 installed on the Lockheed Martin F-22."
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield