connies4ever

France Pressures US Over Satellite Data

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am

Seems France is not amused with the United States disclosing oribital parameters for French comm and recon satellites. They have, at least implicitly, threatened to retaliate: http://www.space.com/news/060707_graves_web.html

There's no 100% proof that the 'phantom' satellites in question are in fact American, but I believe that to be a reasonable inference. American reaction has been to deny the existence of the satellites, even though the Graves radar system can detect solar panels on them.

I suppose if the US can publish a catalogue of orbital debris and other nations satellites, and exmpt its' own military ones, it's only fair if France can do the same.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

zanl188

RE: France Pressures US Over Satellite Data

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:44 am

More U.S. / France tit for tat... Yawn..... I guess the French forgot about that incident with the Stealth over Yugoslavia.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

moo

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:24 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 1):
More U.S. / France tit for tat... Yawn..... I guess the French forgot about that incident with the Stealth over Yugoslavia.

Any particular reason that one issue made by an individual years before should leave the entire country (and new leadership) beholden to another country for ever more?

connies4ever

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 2):
Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 1):

Any particular reason that one issue made by an individual years before should leave the entire country (and new leadership) beholden to another country for ever more?

checkmark  Agreed. I think that was a case of one individual acting on his own. It was not national policy.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dougloid

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:06 pm

Bah. That's akin to a mouse crawling up an elephant's leg with rape on his mind.  Wink  Wink  Wink
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Tancrede

Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 4):
Bah. That's akin to a mouse crawling up an elephant's leg with rape on his mind.

It is not good to be so disrespectful. At least, it proves that the USA are not the only one that are able to handle space high-tech.

flyf15

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:16 am

The way I see it, anyone who's life is actually affected by these satellites will be able to find out they're there no matter what is published.

MDorBust

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:13 am

The US and the Russians have known for years exactly when each others satelites will be passing over specific points... and I don't for a second believe that the Russians would shy away from selling that information to interested parties.

Who cares.

Welcome to the 1980s.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen