Buyantukhaa

New Siberian Air Base Above Polar Circle?

Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:12 pm

I was just checking the Tiksi air base - IKS - on Google and saw that to the west of it there is some soil being moved that looks like an airport. Any thoughts?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...spn=0.159253,0.63858&t=k&z=11&om=1

It's better to look at the Google Earth program as it has an image without cloud, and more up to date I think.

Could it be they're rebuilding the airport to accommodate diversion from ULH flights? The existing runway looks fine though...
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

MD11Engineer

RE: New Siberian Air Base Above Polar Circle?

Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:03 am

I have read (I think on the BBC) recently that Russia staked claims for oil exploitation of a huge slice of the Arctic. Could have something to do with it.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ShyFlyer

Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Thread starter):
I was just checking the Tiksi air base - IKS - on Google and saw that to the west of it there is some soil being moved that looks like an airport. Any thoughts?

According to Wikipedia that airfield is Tiksi West:

Quote:
Tiksi West is a large abandoned airfield in Sakha Republic, Russia located about 10 km west of Tiksi. It appears on old Department of Defense navigation charts, and satellite imagery as of 2000 continues to show patterns of disturbed ground. The history of the airfield is unknown but its role as a military facility was likely replaced by Tiksi Airport, which serves the area today.
I lift things up and put them down.

A342

Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:41 pm

More info should be here, but at the moment, I can't access the site: www.russianairfields.com .
Exceptions confirm the rule.

Buyantukhaa

Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 2):
Tiksi West is a large abandoned airfield in Sakha Republic, Russia located about 10 km west of Tiksi. It appears on old Department of Defense navigation charts, and satellite imagery as of 2000 continues to show patterns of disturbed ground. The history of the airfield is unknown but its role as a military facility was likely replaced by Tiksi Airport, which serves the area today

Thanks a lot, that clears it up then! I just wonder why they decided to demolish and remove the old airport (if it ever was operational) rather than leave it abandoned. As there are no traces of tarmac, terminals etc.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.