SAS A340
Topic Author

Thailand Want Gripens

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:23 pm

Thailand want,s 6 Gripen and another 6 after 5years according to Swedish media. Due to Thailand's "political" issues to the minority muslims in southern Thailand the deal could be off?!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kristof Jonckheere

Link only in swedish so far,Sorry!
http://www.e24.se/dynamiskt/sverige/did_16086351.asp
It's not what u do,it's how u do it!

OD720

RE: Thailand Want Gripens

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Thread starter):
Due to Thailand's "political" issues to the minority muslims in southern Thailand the deal could be off?!

Does Sweden have any policy of not selling weapons to nations that are in certain conflicts?

keesje

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 pm

Now politics will jump in & wait what happens..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Devilfish

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:39 am

Found an English version of the news in a Swedish paper.....

http://www.thelocal.se/7795/20070705/

Quote:
"But on Thursday the details had still not been confirmed in official quarters, reported Swedish Radio.

The Thais' previous plans to buy Russian jets have been abandoned in favour of the lighter JAS 39 Gripen, wrote the Bangkok Post."

I've searched Bangkok Post's website and found no reference to this. Considering that the unseated PM was a prime mover in this deal, there's the possibility it would encounter turbolence before an official acknowledgement is given.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

MCIGuy

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:00 am

Can't afford 12 Lightnings?  Silly

Just kidding, I don't know if we'd sell them if they asked.  Smile
Airliners.net Moderator Team

SAS A340
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting OD720 (Reply 1):
Does Sweden have any policy of not selling weapons to nations that are in certain conflicts?

Sometimes they do,sometimes they do not....very confusing I guess it,s politic  Confused

OD720

Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 5):
Sometimes they do,sometimes they do not....very confusing I guess it,s politic

The Middle East being a large arms market, rich with bloody conflicts has no real Swedish made weapons that I'm aware of. I know that the Lebanese army has a number of Volvo FH heavy trucks but that's all. Maybe Russia, US, UK, France and others have a more agressive marketing strategy than Sweden, I don't really know.

ebj1248650

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Thailand want,s 6 Gripen and another 6 after 5years according to Swedish media. Due to Thailand's "political" issues to the minority muslims in southern Thailand the deal could be off?!

What's the value of only 6 Gripens? I know modern fighter aircraft are expensive, but this doesn't constitute a good half squadron.
Dare to dream; dream big!

olle

Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:47 am

The value is so much depending on the arms etc....

Devilfish

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 am

In what could be the faintest indication yet of a possible Gripen order, Flightglobal reports on Thailand's tentative steps.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...ia-thailand-seek-new-fighters.html

Quote:
"Thailand is the likelier of the two South-East Asian countries to make the first move, with its air force chief saying the service is seeking $1 billion over the next five years to buy new helicopters and aircraft. The priority, Air Chief Marshal Chalit Pukphasuk says, is to replace the kingdom's two fleets of Northrop F-5Es that have been in service since the 1970s and are due to be decommissioned around 2011.

While a competition is not officially under way, aircraft manufacturers have held informal talks with Bangkok for the initial sale of up to 12 fighters. However, Chalit rules out Russia's MiG-29, which is in service with neighbours such as Malaysia, saying: 'You wouldn't want a fighter jet that your neighbours have more experience on. You would want one that is a little bit more advanced than what your neighbours have.'

Saab, producer of the Gripen, is believed to be one of the frontrunners because of the growing defence ties between Sweden and Thailand. The company is seeking its first Gripen sale in Asia, and industry sources say that it is offering Thailand a competitive package that includes cheap loans."

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 7):
What's the value of only 6 Gripens? I know modern fighter aircraft are expensive, but this doesn't constitute a good half squadron.

As intended replacements for the F-5Es, seeking funding for a limited initial buy as reported could be a practical acquisition strategy, given that the RTAF have a substantial number of relatively new F-16 ADFs and had also acquired used samples. This latter fact might even factor strongly on what the ultimate replacement fighter would be.

Fairchild24

Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting OD720 (Reply 6):
The Middle East being a large arms market, rich with bloody conflicts has no real Swedish made weapons that I'm aware of. I know that the Lebanese army has a number of Volvo FH heavy trucks but that's all. Maybe Russia, US, UK, France and others have a more agressive marketing strategy than Sweden, I don't really know.

So as SAS340 is Saying the Militaryexport law/rules in Swden is very strange

The biggest Exportmarket for Swedish Armour is the US, and the most selling article is I belilve the AT-4

Cheers
Radial engine does not leak oil, they only mark there territory

SAS A340
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:26 pm

Its look,s like there are a dun deal now to buy 12 Gripen,it will probably be official during this week...... Sorry,no link yet  ziplip 

Devilfish

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 11):
Sorry,no link yet

Here you are.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...4X8AAAEAADEcpsEAAAAH&modele=jdc_34

Sweden Clinches Thai Air Force Deal

(Source: Radio Sweden; issued Oct. 17, 2007)

Quote:
"Thailand will buy 12 Saab Gripen fighters in two batches to replace its F-5E Tigers, after the US ruled out the sale of F-16C/Ds. The Thai Air Force has announced plans to buy 12 Swedish-made JAS-39 Gripen fighter aircraft, in a deal worth some 573 million US dollars.

Saab is due to supply the first six aircraft between 2008 and 2012, with a decision on the delivery of the second six to be made later in the year."

Air Force to Get Gripen Jet Fighters; Cabinet Okays B34bn Purchase from Sweden

(Source: Bangkok Post; issued Oct. 17, 2007)

Quote:
"The source said the Swedish offer was sweetened with the offer of two radar surveillance planes for free."

What's not clear is if the Gripens were to be remanufactured or new-build airframes.

[Edited 2007-10-17 08:22:00]

N74JW

Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Why did the US block the sale of F-16's? The RTAF already flies a squadron of F-16A's. Besides doesn't the Saab Gripen contain a US-built engine (General Electric F-404-400), and carry American missiles? AMRAAM???

Party line: http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelations/News/2007/071017_thai.htm
rm -r *

kaitak

Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:27 pm

Here's a report from Flight; the deal also includes Erieye Early Warning aircraft (based on Saab 2000, I think).

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...s-as-thailand-selects-swedish.html

Good to see the Gripen get another sale; how many is this now - apart from Sweden? Four, I think - Hungary, Czech Rep, South Africa and Thailand.

Anyone else looking at it? I believe India is?

N74JW

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:54 pm

I remember reading awhile back that Denmark was on the fence, given their involvement with the JSF program.
rm -r *

Bofredrik

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:37 pm

English text about Gripen-Thailand...
http://www.thelocal.se/8815/20071017/

Our Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said today on
radio that Thailand NOW is a military ruled country
BUT they will have a election in december so they
WILL be a democracy after that : SO WE CAN SELL GRIPEN...

But i do not like it.
Carl Bildt have been out with his strong critic about Burma
but Thailand is ruled in the same way... But it is politics
and they seems always have a answer.

[Edited 2007-10-17 12:38:23]

Devilfish

Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 13):
Besides doesn't the Saab Gripen contain a US-built engine (General Electric F-404-400)

The Gripen is powered by its RM12 variant built by Volvo.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 14):
the deal also includes Erieye Early Warning aircraft (based on Saab 2000, I think)

This is a very interesting part of the deal.....

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...IR_S100B_Argus_AEWC_Cutaway_lg.jpg

The report does say that it's for the S-1000 model and the photo accompanying it shows the 340-based Argus S-100. So there's a chance it could be an old AEW platform used by the SwAF instead of a newly remanufactured SAAB 2000 Erieye, in view of the Bangkok Post comment in Reply 12 and the DID one below.....

Quoting N74jw (Reply 15):
I remember reading awhile back that Denmark was on the fence, given their involvement with the JSF program.

Norway is, too.

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 16):
Carl Bildt have been out with his strong critic about Burma but Thailand is ruled in the same way... But it is politics and they seems always have a answer

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/

Thailand Buying JAS-39 Gripens, AWACS
17-Oct-2007 20:37

Quote:
"In order to achieve this win, however, Saab has to throw in a very significant "something extra" – and the sale itself runs future political risks due to Thailand's situation…

[.....]

In mid-October 2007 The Thai Cabinet approved a budget of 34.4 billion baht (about $1.1 billion) for the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) to purchase 12 JAS-39 Gripen multi-role fighters to replace its aging fleet of upgraded F-5 B/E Tiger II aircraft. The RTAF will also buy 2 Saab S-1000 Erieye Airborne Early Warning aircraft, together with associated equipment and services. Negotiations between Thai and Swedish government officials will now commence in order to conclude a formal agreement.

[.....]

Thai Air force chief Chalit Phukphasuk Chavalit reportedly met with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont on Sept 29/07 and convinced him to support the purchase, citing the need for new combat aircraft to match neighbouring Malaysia's new SU-30MKMs. Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra reportedly ordered then air force chief ACM Kongsak Wantana to switch to the SU-30s for Thailand's own purchase, but ACM Chalit rejected the plane as unsuited to Thailand's needs when he became the new air force chief.

The Political Situation

The Thai government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted in a Sept 19/06 coup that was widely believed to have been masterminded by Thailand's king, with the cooperation of its military. That recent fact reportedly helped provide Saab with its opportunity, as an Australian newspaper reported a Thai officer as saying that '....we preferred F-16 C/D over Gripen, [but] the Americans are not allowed by their laws to sell weapons to countries whose governments have been ousted in coups.'

Sweden's government appears to have opted for constructive engagement.

[.....]

The Gripen's planned acquisition period is rather long, and fighter jets are high-profile military deals with a lot of symbolism behind them. This makes them attractive targets in such situations.

Until Thailand actually accepts jets into operational service, therefore, we're hesitant to count this deal as truly done. The Gripen will also have to demonstrate exceptional performance against RTAF F-16s to make a strong case for Phase 2 and build a strong cadre of support within the Thai military. The Gripen is certainly capable of performing at that level – but much of the turbulence ahead of it will be of a type that its avionics aren't programmed to handle."

Devilfish

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Quoting Bofredrik (Reply 16):
But i do not like it.
Carl Bildt have been out with his strong critic about Burma
but Thailand is ruled in the same way... But it is politics
and they seems always have a answer.

I wonder if these Swedish democratic considerations would stand in the way of a hoped for export sale?.....

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...buying-jas-39-gripens-awacs-04022/

UPDATES:

"Oct 29/07: Defense News reports that the sale may face political problems at home. Sweden's Arms Export Control Regulations (AECM) ban military exports to 'undemocratic states' or countries engaged in civil unrest. Mona Sahlin, the leader of the Social Democrats party says "'The question, 'Is Thailand a democratic state?' may need clarification before this sale is approved."

Thailand is currently classified as a 'country moving towards a democratic rule' under the AECM, as the military leaders have said that they plan to step down and hold free and fair elections. There is a strong school of thought in Europe that 'constructive engagement,' with incentives built in for pledges of reform and for better behavior, is the best option when dealing with unfree states, up to and including the world's worst regimes. If that doctrine prevails in Thailand's case, its status as a mildly authoritarian regime that has pledged to restore democracy should remove obstacles to the sale. Time will tell.

Oct 25/07: Jane's Defense Weekly reports that the US State Department told them it 'has no restrictions on military sales to the government of Thailand.' This is important, because the GE F404 engine that powers the Gripen needs US permission for exports."

Bengan

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 18):

Oct 25/07: Jane's Defense Weekly reports that the US State Department told them it 'has no restrictions on military sales to the government of Thailand.' This is important, because the GE F404 engine that powers the Gripen needs US permission for exports."

Interesting, this conflicts with the sources claiming that the reason for not going with F-16 was restrictions from the US.

As for the democratic thing, Bildt has said for some time now that the final decision will be made after the 23rd december. (Link in swedish: http://di.se/Index/Nyheter/2007/10/19/253609.htm?src=xlink )

/Bengt

Devilfish

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Bengan (Reply 19):
Interesting, this conflicts with the sources claiming that the reason for not going with F-16 was restrictions from the US.

I'm not aware of an explicit US Govt issued directive restricting new F-16 sales to Thailand. More likely, LockMart's non-acceptance of Thailand's barter requirement could be the reason the deal did not progress.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...er-thailands-fighter-equation.html

Quote:
"Bangkok is to spend up to $800 million on the new aircraft, but says the acquisition must be funded under a barter deal, which could exclude the F-16. Russia and Sweden have agreed in principle to accept the terms, but Lockheed is reviewing Thailand’s barter policy to determine if it is acceptable."

If the government was not restricting F404 sale to Thailand, less reason for it to block new F-16s.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:42 pm

The Thai military's new equipment acquisitions have just gotten an important endorsement by the King.....

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi...@38AAAEAAGVyP4wAAAAf&modele=jdc_34

Thai king endorses military shopping spree

Devilfish

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:00 pm

Update:

Defense-Aerospace reports that Thailand's Cabinet has approved the order for six (6) Gripens.....

Cabinet Gives Green Light to Buy Swedish Jet Fighters
(Source: Thai News Agency; issued Jan. 8, 2008)

Quote:
"BANGKOK --- The cabinet has approved the procurement by the Royal Thai Air Force of six Swedish-made Gripen jet fighters with a Bhat 19 billion ($637 million) budget.

Government spokesman Chaiya Yimwilai said the air force earlier planned to buy six US-made F-5E fighters but finally chose the Swedish jets for deployment as multi-role combat aircraft."

SAS A340
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Thanks for the update,seems thats it has a green light her in Sweden to due to the election last year that takes Thailand towards a democracy.

Blackbird

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:54 pm

How does the Gripens fare compared ot the E-2000 Eurofighter?

Andrea

Bengan

Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:04 pm

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 24):
How does the Gripens fare compared ot the E-2000 Eurofighter?

Andrea

It's smaller, with all the negatives and positives that's attached:
fewer hard-points, shorter range, lower T/W-ratio and a smaller price-tag, both in the short- and long-term.

/Bengt

Devilfish

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 23):
Thanks for the update,seems thats it has a green light her in Sweden to due to the election last year that takes Thailand towards a democracy.

You're welcome. However, although the purchase is already funded and the first Gripen is expected to be delivered late this year (while the budget for the second batch has been earmarked), final approval is reportedly still being awaited from the Swedish Government.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...dget-for-saab-gripen-fighters.html

Quote:
"Thailand's cabinet has approved a 19 billion baht ($568 million) budget for the first phase of its F-X fighter competition, advancing an order for six Saab Gripen C/D fighters, plus accessories, spare parts and flight training programmes.

The aircraft will be used to replace part of the Royal Thai Air Force's fleet of Northrop F-5Es, which have fallen behind a newer generation of fighters operated by other south-eastern Asian nations, such as Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore.

Thailand's first Gripen is likely to be handed over late this year, with the last to be delivered in 2012, although Sweden's Defence Materiel Administration is still waiting for approval from its government to finalise the sale."

SAS A340
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:07 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 26):
final approval is reportedly still being awaited from the Swedish Government.....

Today the Swedish Government gave a green light for the deal!!

Devilfish

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 27):
Today the Swedish Government gave a green light for the deal!!

Strange. Three hours ago, Flightglobal had that story for its headline, but now it's gone. Here's the press release from Gripen's website.....

Press release
25 January 2008
Ministry of Defence

Sweden enters into an agreement with Thailand on Gripen

Quote:
"On Thursday 24 January, the Government authorised the Defence Materiel Administration to enter into an agreement with the air force in Thailand on the transfer of an integrated air surveillance system comprising JAS 39 Gripen and the Erieye radar surveillance system.

'It is very positive that Thailand has chosen Swedish Gripen now that it is renewing its air surveillance system. It will benefit Sweden and Swedish tax-payers. The Gripen system is very cost-efficient and I am pleased to see growing international interest in its acquisition,' says Minister for Defence Sten Tolgfors."

Edit: Covered by defense-aerospace.....

Government Approves Thailand Deal

(Source: Saab AB; issued Jan. 25, 2008)

[Edited 2008-01-25 10:22:41]

Devilfish

Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Update:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_S-1000_and_JAS-39_lg.jpg
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...mages/AIR_S-1000_and_JAS-39_lg.jpg

Done deal!.....

http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelati...ns/News/2008/080211_th_signing.htm

Gripen agreement between Sweden and Thailand signed

Quote:
"FMV, Sweden's Defence Materiel Administration and the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF), have today signed an agreement for the delivery of six Gripen multirole fighter aircraft of the latest version and a surveillance system

2/11/2008 | At a ceremony in Stockholm today, FMVs (Swedish Defence Materiel Administration) Director General Gunnar Holmgren and Air Chief Marshal Chalit Pukbhasuk, Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF), signed an agreement for the delivery of six Gripen multirole fighter aircraft of the latest version and a surveillance system.

With this agreement RTAF will be able to replace its outgoing F-5 aircraft at the beginning of 2011. RTAF will get six Gripen multirole aircraft of the latest C and D version (four two-seat Gripen D and two single-seat Gripen C fighters) together with one Saab 340 Erieye surveillance system and one Saab 340 aircraft for training and transport."

SAS A340
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Nice picture! 4 two seater and 2 single,,,,all other nations have the opposite i believe  Yeah sure

wvsuperhornet

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 am

Quoting Bengan (Reply 25):
It's smaller, with all the negatives and positives that's attached:
fewer hard-points, shorter range, lower T/W-ratio and a smaller price-tag, both in the short- and long-term.

For a small country like thailand witha limited budget it would be a good fighter for them.

Bengan

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 12):

What's not clear is if the Gripens were to be remanufactured or new-build airframes.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/25Apr2008_news14.php

Quoting Bangkok Post:

Mr Svansson[sic] said there will be no delays delivering the six aircraft and the technology to the air force. He also dismissed rumours that the fighters destined for Thailand will be old ones refurbished.

''We will build new Gripen fighter aircraft for Thailand,'' he said.

/Bengt

Mortyman

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:33 pm

Has'nt the Gripen been sold to South Korea too ?

TGIF

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 33):

Think that would have reached the news here in Sweden. The Gripen coverage is crazy these days...

Didn't know they were shopping for new fighters. Thought they were happy with their KF-15's, since they decided to add a couple to their already excising fleet (Source), and KF-16's.

wvsuperhornet

Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:42 am

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 33):

No look for them to add more F-15K's and Possible some F-35's in the future. I doubt South Korea would risk straying to far away from their biggest weapons supplier, the US.

art

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:04 pm

According to this link, Thailand wants to buy 6 more very soon.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...kay_for_six_more_Grippen_fighters_

[Edited 2009-02-14 13:06:36]

TGIF

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Quoting Art (Reply 36):
According to this link, Thailand wants to buy 6 more very soon.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...ters_

Good news for Saab and Gripen.

Do you know if it's enough with an approval from the Defence Ministry or does the parliament/president/king have the final say?

art

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:10 am

Quoting TGIF (Reply 37):
Do you know if it's enough with an approval from the Defence Ministry or does the parliament/president/king have the final say?

I don't know but it looks like it requires no special budget provision:

"Bangkok - Thailand's Defence Ministry on Thursday approved the air force's plan to buy six more Grippen fighters next fiscal year, completing a squadron of the Swedish-made jets.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said the procurement, to be spaced over over five years, would be allocated from the Air Force's budget and not burden government spending, reported The Nation online news."

SAS A340
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 am

Great news,a little expected but nice to see it finalized  Smile
Perhaps a followup order to replace more of there's F-5 and perhaps some of there ~¨ 50 F-16A  Wink (Dreaming is cheap), Thanks for posting it Art  Smile

TGIF

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 am

Thailands first Gripen made its maiden flight yesterday. Saab test pilot Mats Thorbiörnsson flew the aircraft during its 80 min test flight.

This is the first of the initial six aircrafts from batch 1 consisting of 2 single seat JAS 39C and 4 dual seat JAS 39D. Deliveries start in 2011 and Thai airforce pilots will come to Sweden next year to begin their training.
http://i31.tinypic.com/2eejtx3.jpg

Nice shark on the fin  bigthumbsup 

http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelati...or+Royal+Thai+Air+Force+Gripen.htm

More pictures at http://www.gripen.com/en/MediaRelations/Image_base.htm

SAS A340
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Really nice to see Big grin another customer in real. Hopefully they soon decide to take the second batch of another 6. thank you!
And the shark looks like a great white...right?  biting 

TGIF

Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Another first flight, the first Thai AEW:

http://i35.tinypic.com/4fx3wh.jpg
Photo Credit: Peter Liander/ Saab

There's also a short video on the Saab page.

Quote:
The Saab 340 Erieye AEW flight took two hours and 14 minutes and was executed by Magnus Fredriksson and Åke Wargh from Saab.

"The flight went as expected and we tested all the basic aircraft systems. We now look forward to continuing the tests in order to then be able to deliver the aircraft to Thailand," says Magnus Fredriksson.

http://www.saabgroup.com/en/MediaRel...2009/first_flight_for_thai_aew.htm

Devilfish

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:25 pm

and another 6 after 5years

As expected, the follow-on order is signed.....

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...n-fighters-anti-ship-missiles.html

Quote:
"Thailand has signed a planned follow-on order for Saab-produced fighter and surveillance aircraft and added anti-ship missiles to its air force's future inventory.

A new agreement covering the supply of six more Gripen Cs and a second Saab 340-based airborne early warning and control system aircraft was secured in Stockholm on 23 November. It was signed by Royal Thai Air Force commander in chief Air Chief Marshal Itthaporn Subhawong and Gunnar Holmgren, director general of Sweden's Defence Materiel Administration (FMV)."

Leads one to think that the RTAF are looking at Gripen NGs for the future.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Hall

SAS A340
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Quoting SAS A340 (Reply 41):
Really nice to see another customer in real. Hopefully they soon decide to take the second batch of another 6. thank you

And today they did  Order for the second batch were delivered to SAAB today according to Swedish news...Nice!!

SAS A340
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 43):
As expected, the follow-on order is signed.....

Ahh,you got me by 1 minute....  

Ozair

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:51 pm

Leads one to think that the RTAF are looking at Gripen NGs for the future.

They're far more likely to pick up second hand airframes as they come out of service with nations getting NGs. Their F-16s are mostly second hand units from the US and Singapore and I could see them doing the same thing with the Gripen. They have F-5s that need replacing and their first F-16s could probably do with replacement as well. It wouldn't be surprising to see them and up with 30-40 aircraft with a mix of new and second-hand.

"Thailand has signed a planned follow-on order for Saab-produced fighter and surveillance aircraft and added anti-ship missiles to its air force's future inventory.

I am surprised the order has come this soon, I had heard they were going to wait a few years and receive the second batch in 2015-16. The thai pilots training in Sweden must have given rave reviews.

Devilfish

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Quoting Ozair (Reply 46):
They're far more likely to pick up second hand airframes as they come out of service with nations getting NGs. Their F-16s are mostly second hand units from the US and Singapore and I could see them doing the same thing with the Gripen. They have F-5s that need replacing

Yes, the Swedish Air Force had been looking for buyers of their A/B frames to reduce and update their inventory at the same time. Those would be fine substitutes for the F-5s.

and their first F-16s could probably do with replacement as well. It wouldn't be surprising to see them and up with 30-40 aircraft with a mix of new and second-hand.

I'd say (at the risk of sounding like a salesman for the French for posting this in too many threads) the UAE's Mirage 2000-9s could take over the RTAF's earliest Falcons.....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aldo Bidini
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicola Maraspini

..... but that would bring the complication of another type into the force mix (their experience with Dassault limited to the trainer), plus ruffled feathers across the ocean. Their newest block F-16s would be harder to replace and might require very expensive updates, or moving up the model ladder altogether farther into the future. Super Vipers ... Bugs ... Rafale ... Typhoon ... F-15SE? As I don't see them going for F-35s at current prices.

http://media.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_F-35A_Frontal_ATK_lg.jpg
http://media.defenseindustrydaily.co...mages/AIR_F-35A_Frontal_ATK_lg.jpg

I am surprised the order has come this soon, I had heard they were going to wait a few years and receive the second batch in 2015-16. The thai pilots training in Sweden must have given rave reviews.

Must be all the excitement around.  

Ozair

Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Quoting DEVILFISH (Reply 47):
I'd say (at the risk of sounding like a salesman for the French for posting this in too many threads) the UAE's Mirage 2000-9s could take over the RTAF's earliest Falcons.....

The Thais would see this as a step down.

Their newest block F-16s would be harder to replace and might require very expensive updates, or moving up the model ladder altogether farther into the future.

They love their Falcons! I've met several RTAF pilots and they aren't interested in getting rid of them so perhaps more used US F-16s once the JSF arrives to replace the oldest frames.

Super Vipers ... Bugs ... Rafale ... Typhoon ... F-15SE? As I don't see them going for F-35s at current prices.

Price being the big decider. The Gripen was cheap and came with a great training, spares and AEW&C package. I can't see them footing the bill for any of the above.

Must be all the excitement around.

Indeed, buying new aircraft is a must for keeping up with the neighbours.....

Devilfish

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 am

Quoting Ozair (Reply 48):
The Thais would see this as a step down.

I guess among its neighbors, only the PAF would regard a windfall of seven-year-old Mirage 2000-9s a huge leap in capability. I wrote "earliest" - implying a big reduction in price of the Block 15OCU, and possible degradation due to high cycles, which could make adoption of the 15-year younger -9s competitive (but impractical for reasons already cited). The used block 15 ADFs were bought in the same year (to avoid penalties for the canceled Hornets), and not MLU'd far as I know.

Quoting Ozair (Reply 48):
so perhaps more used US F-16s once the JSF arrives to replace the oldest frames.

Agree that later block Vipers would be the default replacements, short of the Gripen NG turning out really fantastic and Bangkok miffing D.C. again.