ebj1248650

Austria's First Typhoon

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:22 am

I've seen two pictures at a.net of the first Austrian Typhoon and it's identified as a T1. Is that an individual indentification (second airplane would be T2) or is it a type ID. Thinking "T" means trainer, I'm wondering if the plane isn't supposed to be identified as F1 or, using the British system, as an F.2, with the trainers being identified as T.1s.
Dare to dream; dream big!

PADSpot

RE: Austria's First Typhoon

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:42 am

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Thread starter):
've seen two pictures at a.net of the first Austrian Typhoon and it's identified as a T1. Is that an individual indentification (second airplane would be T2) or is it a type ID. Thinking "T" means trainer, I'm wondering if the plane isn't supposed to be identified as F1 or, using the British system, as an F.2, with the trainers being identified as T.1s.

T1 here refers to "Tranche 1" which subsumes Production Blocks 1, 2, 2B and 5. All Austrian EFs will be Tranche 1 Block 5.

The RAF uses Tx and Fx designations to differentia trainers from fighters while the "x" represents an internal RAF development stage as current Tranche 1 single-seat EFs are already designated "F2". It could be the case that Block 5 aircrafts are T2/F2 while everything below Block 5 is T1/F1, but I don't know exactly. Maybe one of Brits here can clarify on this ...

[Edited 2007-08-09 19:04:28]

wvsuperhornet

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:21 pm

I was just woundering and I am not knocking the Eurofighter I think its a good aircraft, but why would Austria need such a large and complex fighter to protect its airspace? I would think some Gripens and Basic Superhornets would have managed that just fine. That would be like the US selling the FA-22 to Monaco.

F27Friendship

Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Quoting Wvsuperhornet (Reply 2):
I was just woundering and I am not knocking the Eurofighter I think its a good aircraft, but why would Austria need such a large and complex fighter to protect its airspace? I would think some Gripens and Basic Superhornets would have managed that just fine. That would be like the US selling the FA-22 to Monaco.

A lot of people share that question. It was also discussed in another thread:
First Eurofighter Delivered To Austria! (by 777 Jul 13 2007 in Military Aviation & Space Flight)