ANITIX87
Topic Author

Aircraft ID And Information, Please

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Hello, everyone. I hope this is in the right forum. My piano teacher, who normally photographs birds, found himself near an airfield in New Jersey a few months ago and caught this bird doing touch and gos.

I was able to identify as a USAF plane from between the two World Wars, and while he is happy with that description, I'd like to give him more, as he is dedicating the shot to a friend who recently passed away.

Here is the image in question.
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 428 File size: 145kb

What I would like to know is:

Type/Model?
Registration?
Owner/Operator?
Original use and purpose?
Did it serve in the war or is it a trainer?
The history of this particular frame, if possible?

Thanks a million, guys!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

f4wso

RE: Aircraft ID And Information, Please

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Piper L-4 Grasshopper. It is similar to the J-3 Cub but can be distinguished by the longer glass windows. It served primarily as an Army liaison and artiller spotter. It could also evacuate one wounded soldier.

Searching Piper L-4 will turn up more detailed links.

Gary
Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Seeking an honest week's pay for an honest day's work

KELPkid

RE: Aircraft ID And Information, Please

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting ANITIX87 (Thread starter):
I was able to identify as a USAF plane from between the two World Wars, and while he is happy with that description, I'd like to give him more, as he is dedicating the shot to a friend who recently passed away.

Definitely not! The L-4 was a World War II bird, used for liason and artillery spotting duties. Also, if you notice, this one has invasion stripes, which would place it as (a replica of?) a bird used during or shortly after D-day. The invasion stripes helped avoid friendly fire incidents...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)