Mike89406
Topic Author

Question About MAC Or Charter Flights

Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Ok I had to long range trip experiences they were military charter on commercial aircraft first one was July 1977 I flew on a Flying Tigers aircraft from Taipei, Taiwan when my dad retired from the Navy back then. After retirement we boarded the Flying Tigers aircraft from Taipei-Tokyo area I resume for our 1st fuel stop then ANC, and down to Travis AFB.

My question for this would be is this a 741 or 742? And if not what kind would the jet have been? Some of you old timers may know this and maybe not. I remember the plane having commercial seats. I'm assuming it wasn't a cargo jet but I could be wrong.

The second question is in September 1994 I was flown on a MAC charter from PHL-SNN then stopped for fuel Now I specifically know it was ATA that was military chartered (originated in NAS Norfolk), then SNN-NAS Sigonella Italy. Then Final leg was NAS Sigonella-Manama, Bahrain. ,

My second question is would it have been a L-1011 or another type maybe a 757 (did they have or use 757s on that charter flight) or maybe they used another type.

If anyone knows that would be appreciated.

Regards. Mike

[Edited 2007-08-30 07:24:47]

[Edited 2007-08-30 07:42:04]

ShyFlyer

RE: Question About MAC Or Charter Flights

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
My question for this would be is this a 741 or 742? And if not what kind would the jet have been?

My research, which isn't all that extensive, shows that the airline only operated 747-100s and DC-8s at that point in time. Both types were apparently used in passenger operations as well as cargo.
http://www.flyingtigerline.org/

Quoting Mike89406 (Thread starter):
My second question is would it have been a L-1011 or another type maybe a 757 (did they have or use 757s on that charter flight) or maybe they used another type.

At that time, ATA had 727s, 757s, and the L-1011. If you were in a wide body cabin, it was an L-1011. Narrow body cabin would mean either the 727 or 757.
I lift things up and put them down.

Mike89406
Topic Author

RE: Question About MAC Or Charter Flights

Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
My research, which isn't all that extensive, shows that the airline only operated 747-100s and DC-8s at that point in time. Both types were apparently used in passenger operations as well as cargo.
http://www.flyingtigerline.org/

Thanks

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 1):
At that time, ATA had 727s, 757s, and the L-1011. If you were in a wide body cabin, it was an L-1011. Narrow body cabin would mean either the 727 or 757.

What i do remember was that flight had inflight movies on a projector screen, I also know that it was average of 5 hrs give or take a few on each leg. There were 3 legs all on the same jet 1st one was PHL-SNN I'm not sure how long that flight was but we took off at 2200 from PHL woke up to daylight before touching down in SNN. 2nd Leg was SNN-NSY, and last was NSY-BAH I know that had to ben at least 5 hrs. I'm probably leaning towards the L-1011 unless the 757 had a projector screen to show movies.