L-188
Topic Author

Disabling Mig-29 Inlet Doors

Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:33 am

Hey guys,

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joop de Groot - CRMAP

Does anybody know if any Mig-29 operated wired the inlet doors open so that the inlets wouldn't be closed off.

For those of you not familar the inlets on the Mig where developed with a hinged door that would close off the inlet. The engine would then draw air in from the louvers in top of the strake.

Problems is that the russians chose to incorperate these doors as part of the ramp system, so they are hinged on the top. So any mud that is thrown up sticks to the doors and then when it dries gets sucked into the engine FOD'ing out the motor. I think the Indians had some problems with them.

I know the doors where deleted in later models, but I am wondering if any where permanently wired open and then the aircraft restricted to hard surfaces.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chavdar Garchev

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

A342

RE: Disabling Mig-29 Inlet Doors

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:48 pm

As far as I know, as a replacement for said upper doors, the newer versions have a kind of titanium grid that folds away into the intake. IIRC the Flanker series uses the same system.
And yes, this mod can be retrofitted. It allows you to increase fuel capacity in the wing roots.

A342
Exceptions confirm the rule.

N74JW

RE: Disabling Mig-29 Inlet Doors

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:20 pm

The original Mig-29K did not use the intake doors at all. Ironically, in an environment that could have really used them...
rm -r *