Eurofighter is set to walk away from fighter competitions in Denmark and Norway following the delivery of letters this week from the German government announcing that the four-nation consortium was suspending activities to secure the Nordic contracts.
A Norwegian Ministry of Defence spokesman said a letter from the Eurofighter nations had been received Dec. 20. He said the MoD was not in a position to comment.
A spokesman for the Danish MoD said it would not be able to comment until Dec. 21.
One industry source said the feeling in the Eurofighter nations was that the two competitions had been tilted in favor of the Lockheed Martin-led F-35 Lightning II.
A second source familiar with the Nordic programs said that Britain, Germany, Italy and Spain Ã¢â‚¬â€ the four nations involved in the program to develop and build the Typhoon multirole combat aircraft Ã¢â‚¬â€ had suspended their involvement but stopped short of a complete withdrawal.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Eurofighter has suspended its participation in the fighter replacement programs in Denmark and Norway,Ã¢â‚¬Â the second source said. Ã¢â‚¬Å“One reason I heard was the move appeared to be related to recent adjustments to the timing and structure of the assessment process.Ã¢â‚¬Â