MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Astronaut May Watch Mom's Memorial From Space

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:50 pm

Astronaut may watch mom's memorial from space

As astronaut Daniel Tani, a Lombard native, was miles above the Earth on Wednesday, his 90-year-old mother was killed in a collision with a train. Now he's stuck in space, mourning his mom.

December 20, 2007
BY NORMAN PARISH AND ANDREW HERRMANN Staff Reporters/nparish@suntimes.com aherrmann@suntimes.com

A NASA official said today it is technically possible to broadcast services for Lombard astronaut Daniel Tani’s mother to space so her son can view them on the International Space Station.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/702047%2Ccst-nws-astro20.article

R.I.P. Mrs Rose Tani
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

dl021

RE: Astronaut May Watch Mom's Memorial From Space

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:15 pm

It must be difficult for him, and I'm glad they will transmit the event so he can go through the grieving process with his family.

RIP, madame.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

redflyer

RE: Astronaut May Watch Mom's Memorial From Space

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:17 am

From a more scientific perspective, I suspect NASA is monitoring this event very closely and analyzing it to death (no pun intended) in order to prepare for similar events in the future. This is one of the situations that future astronauts and NASA will have to prepare for when conducting deep space missions to Mars or even long endurance missions to the Moon. Tani is fortunate in that he's relatively close and can bring final closure upon his return in several weeks. A future space traveler may receive tragic news like this on the outbound trip and he/she will have to deal with the gamut of emotions during the remainder -- and majority -- of the mission. Tani was fortunate in the sense that his mother was advanced in years and he was probably prepared for such an eventuality during his mission, albeit not via a collision with a train. A future space traveler might have to deal with such a tragedy with someone not expected to die suddenly, such as a spouse or child.
My other home is a Piper Cherokee 180C