vfw614

British Prince On Fast Track To Earn Wings?

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:06 pm

According to media reports, British Prince William, the 2nd in line to the throne, will undergo flight training with the RAF from next week on. While RAF student pilots usually are trained for 3-4 years, the Prince is undergoing only four months of flight training, initially on a Grob 115E, then on a Tucano and finally on a Squirrel.

The official line is: "The prince is not undertaking a full training course."

So to what extent will he be qualified after four months of training? News articles says that he will be flying twice a day on most days and study in the evenings.

PADSpot

RE: British Prince On Fast Track To Earn Wings?

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Quoting Vfw614 (Thread starter):
So to what extent will he be qualified after four months of training?

PPL-A?  duck 

ferrypilot

Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:46 am

the Prince is undergoing only four months of flight training, initially on a Grob 115E, then on a Tucano and finally on a Squirrel.

If I was him I'd ask my grandmother to fix it for me to fly the Typhoon !

Zkpilot

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:22 am

While RAF student pilots usually are trained for 3-4 years, the Prince is undergoing only four months of flight training, initially on a Grob 115E, then on a Tucano and finally on a Squirrel.

The official line is: "The prince is not undertaking a full training course."

So to what extent will he be qualified after four months of training? News articles says that he will be flying twice a day on most days and study in the evenings.

But does that 3-4 years include officer training? He already has officer training etc so is indocturined into the military. 3-4 months is pretty quick for learning to fly, but 2 lessons per day for 4 months is more than what most trainee civilian pilots do in 2 years
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

wrighbrothers

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm

He is getting basic flying training, he is learning the basics of how to fly different types of plane and helicopter as part of his attachement to the RAF where's he's learning basically how the other services work and see how it differs to the army (like them doing less work than us  Wink ), he'll have the rank of Flying officer and wear an RAF unifrom while he's with them for his 4 months, and supposidly will mingle with the peasant airmen and NCOs too !
The main reason he's doing this is because as monach, he will one day be head of the armed forces and so need to know how all 3 services are like, how they work etc, after this I beleive he's going to train on how to 'drive' submarines with the Navy.

As I said, his flying is PART of his experiance, it's not the actual reason why he's going (officialy atleast).
He'll earn his basic wings, which provided that he passes the tests, means he will be able to fly solo, perform basic aerobatics, deal with mid-air emergencies and fly in formation.
The normal RAF pilots have much longer courses because unlike the Prince, they are training for their job and hence need much longer training, this is like the differance between someone earning their PPL and getting an ATPL or, the differance between learning to drive a normal car and a Rally car, the training is much different because they are different things.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

vfw614

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:31 am

Looked at some media reports and they say he will be on a "normal" course with a dozen or so other aspiring pilots, so it appears as if the course is not tailor-made for him but he is simply shoe-horned into the normal training syllabus woth some modifications. To what extent this fits into him flying both the Grob and the Tucano within four months, I have no idea.

KevinSmith

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 3):
but 2 lessons per day for 4 months is more than what most trainee civilian pilots do in 2 years

It can be done faster than that. What proficiency level are you referring to when you say it takes two years?
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

vfw614

Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Actually, both his father and his uncle have flown helicopters in regular units while serving in the military, haven't they? Prince Andrew even saw action in the Falkland war.

Banco

Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:43 pm

Quoting Vfw614 (Reply 7):
Prince Andrew even saw action in the Falkland war.

Those who aren't the heir to the throne can see action, because, to be blunt, they are "spares". Prince William? No chance, and Charles would never have been put in harm's way either.

The Prince Harry debate was whether it would put others at increased risk, not him.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.