fxramper

Landing On A Aircraft Carrier.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 pm

I know there are a few Navy guys on the site. Who has done this before? I've often wondered how it would be to land a F-18 on the deck of a carrier. Thoughts?

I just watched Top Gun.

airplane 

RC135U

RE: Landing On A Aircraft Carrier.

Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:40 pm

http://www.neptunuslex.com/

This blog is run by a Navy Captain with lots of F-18 hours. Click "Flight Deck" then under Categories click on "Sea Stories" and I'm sure you'll be well entertained. Don't let the "sea" part fool you - he's a fighter jock through and through.

AAR90

Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:07 am

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
I've often wondered how it would be to land a F-18 on the deck of a carrier. Thoughts?

A piece of cake really (unless something goes wrong).... especially compared to some of the other planes that land on boats.  duck  Honestly, you're just too busy to get scared and only think about what you just did... after you just did it.  relieved 

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):
I just watched Top Gun.

The only "real" scenes in that movie were of the Big-E's flight deck during the opening credits. The got all of their shots BEFORE telling the crew why they were REALLY there.  bouncy  Everything else was staged --except most of the callsigns.  rotfl 
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

RC135U

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:28 am

http://www.neptunuslex.com/rhythms-the-compendium/

My apologies, but the link posted here is a more direct link for Lex's carrier aviation (particularly F-18) stories.

BladeLWS

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:39 am

The Hornets can land on automatic if the pilots want to. But from what I've heard its pretty nerve racking landing on dot in the middle of the ocean, especially at night during combat ops on a darkened ship!  boggled 

halls120

Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting BladeLWS (Reply 4):
But from what I've heard its pretty nerve racking landing on dot in the middle of the ocean, especially at night during combat ops on a darkened ship!   

By brother is a former F-18 pilot. He tells me that a carrier launch, day or night, is almost better than sex. OTOH, he says, a carrier landing at night is NOT pleasant.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography