at777

Military Flight Over CLT Help

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Today around 6:05 pm, i heard a loud rumbling over head. I looked up and couldn't see anything, but still heard it. I thought it was a regular passenger aircraft because i'm in the flight path for CLT in the south end when they land from North to South. Looking over to the Northeast i saw a total of 4 fighters, 2 on each side of a larger plane. Don't know if it was a transport like a C-17 or a passenger plane. My thought is towards a transport plane, but my question is, where would they be going and why would they fly in that formation? If they were just flying to another base, I have never seen them fly like that before. Maybe they are transporting something secret!?!  Confused Big grin  Confused

FlyUSCG

RE: Military Flight Over CLT Help

Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:54 am

Well I just departed CLT for my last flight to New Bern (EWN) and we pulled away from the gate at 1800. I didn't see anything strange flying around (but I also wasn't looking). I also didn't hear anything strange on the radio as we were off the ground by 1808 from 18L.
Go Trojans! Fight On!

Moose135

RE: Military Flight Over CLT Help

Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:51 am

Sounds like a tanker with some fighters looking for gas. Could have been anything - a training mission, maybe there were on their way somewhere (Europe, etc.) and were being refueled in route, etc.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!