GDB
Topic Author

More Cash Problems For The Restored Vulcan

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:22 pm

Here we go again;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7252105.stm

A shame, but this time you have to wonder how many will still keep contributing to this project.

Maybe the answer is something like some TV/Film use.
For example, the excellent book Vulcan 607 is ripe for adaptation, really in a feature length drama/doc, (since a lot of real footage would be used, no flying Victor Tankers for a start).

gkirk

RE: More Cash Problems For The Restored Vulcan

Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:54 am

Quoting GDB (Thread starter):
For example, the excellent book Vulcan 607

I'm about half way through reading that book, and have to say that it's absolutely fantastic. And I do also agree with you that it could be created into a TV documentary of some sort.

As for the cash problems, really sad to hear and hope things get sorted out
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Venus6971

Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:34 pm

This is why only Air Forces fly and maintain bombers, I remember reading about a B-36 that was retired in Dallas and a civic organization wanted to keep it at least maintained for power on conditions, to keep along story short it is in pieces now be reassembled at the Pima County air museum outside Davis-Monthan AFB AZ. Another prime examples of bigger dreams than wallets is the B-29 Doc in Wichita, B-29 Fifi in Texas and the USAF Museum taking back the B-17 Memphis Bell back from Memphis for the sad state of disrepair she was allowed to be in. Being born in 1963 I never got the chance to hear or see 6 turning 4 burning lumbering through the sky and would love to see one but unless you have a backer like Sir R.Branson its a fools errand.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

baroque

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 2):
Being born in 1963 I never got the chance to hear or see 6 turning 4 burning lumbering through the sky

Pretty amazing Venus. When they were coming in to land - ? about 10 or 15 miles away - the first you knew was the ground started to shake. Then the noise, and finally the plane. Maybe away from river alluvium, the ground shaking would not have been so obvious, but it was near Mildenhall, UK.

baroque

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Then again, watching a Vulcan do circuits of Leuchars in Scotland 15 years later was even more amazing, they looked so sinister in black.

CV990A

Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:55 pm

It's a shame- I was planning on going to the Biggin Hill Airshow this year, and the Vulcan was listed (as TBC) for both static and flying displays... I was looking forward to seeing (and hearing) it.  Sad

Is there any reason why the RAF wouldn't be interesting in adding it as, say, an adjunct to the BBMF?
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

GDB
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Quoting CV990A (Reply 5):
Is there any reason why the RAF wouldn't be interesting in adding it as, say, an adjunct to the BBMF?

Yes, the defence budget is under great pressure, in part due to the fact that the armed forces have been and will be, more 'busy' then usual.
BBMF already exists, but hugely increasing it's costs by adding the Vulcan just could not be justified.
The RAF ran it for 9 years after the fleet retired for airshows, now doing the same will quite rightly pose a lot of serious questions about priorities.