pjflysfast

Chinook In Iraq?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:02 pm

What kind of missions do Chinooks do in Iraq? I know they must not do much, if at all any combat missions. So what is it they exactly do in Iraq? Cargo?

highlander0

RE: Chinook In Iraq?

Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:48 pm

No RAF Chinooks out there for a good few years.

Friend of mine flew in the invasion in them, not sure how many stayed out after the 'fighting' ended.

UH60FtRucker

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Quoting PJFlysFast (Thread starter):
So what is it they exactly do in Iraq?

They fly.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

pjflysfast

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 2):
They fly.

What kind of missions?

dragon6172

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Move people from A to B.

Not sure how much things have changed, but when I was there, people moved by helicopter and cargo and supplies moved by convoy. Actually I should say routine cargo moved by convoy. If something had to be somewhere with a bit more urgency then we moved it by helo.
Phrogs Phorever

pjflysfast

Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:46 pm

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 4):
Move people from A to B.

Not sure how much things have changed, but when I was there, people moved by helicopter and cargo and supplies moved by convoy. Actually I should say routine cargo moved by convoy. If something had to be somewhere with a bit more urgency then we moved it by helo.

Thank you. I just know someone who is going to be flying chinooks in Iraq and was just wondering what she will be doing.

wrighbrothers

Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Yes, Chinooks move the troops (or cargo) from A to B when foot or mounted (vehicle) entry is too slow or unsafe, used mostly by airborne forces (such as the paras)

Quoting Highlander0 (Reply 1):
No RAF Chinooks out there for a good few years.

Friend of mine flew in the invasion in them, not sure how many stayed out after the 'fighting' ended.

Indeed I beleive they didn't stay that long, the Pumas and Merlins are in Iraq now, while the Chinooks are over in Afghanistan, backbone of the fleet there too.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

highlander0

Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 6):
Pumas and Merlins are in Iraq now

And AAC Lynx, RN Sea Kings Mk4s as well at Basrah along with RAF Merlin Mk3 at Basrah.

Pumas are based at Baghdad.

kc135topboom

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:54 pm

I believe the most important helio mission in Iraq, right now, is MEDIVAC. That is mostly handled by HH-60s, but any port in a storm will show up if an Allied guy or gal needs one.

dragon6172

Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 8):
I believe the most important helio mission in Iraq, right now, is MEDIVAC. That is mostly handled by HH-60s, but any port in a storm will show up if an Allied guy or gal needs one.

We had an air officer at group HQ tell one of our Ops officers that the most important mission we did was VIP lifts. Of course our Ops officer told the guy he was a freakin loon and that was probably why he was flying a desk and not out doing missions. Damn fool.

Anyhow, just to be nit picky, I believe the H-60s were the only people around who did MEDEVAC. MEDEVAC requires you to have the red cross painted on your plane, and you are only allowed to carry personal weapons. Most of what we did was called CASEVAC, or casualty evacuation. Not limited in weapons or what aircraft you can use. I know, pretty much the same thing.

CASEVAC standby was fine, but one night doing the hospital milk run I got a bit pissed at the fact that we had to go out flying to move these two people, from the hospital at Al Asad to Balad. The guy had syphilis and the gal was pregnant. Go figure.
Phrogs Phorever

kc135topboom

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 9):
we had to go out flying to move these two people, from the hospital at Al Asad to Balad.

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 9):
The guy had syphilis and the gal was pregnant. Go figure.

It is good to see some things in war always remain the same.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

bhmbaglock

Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Quoting PJFlysFast (Thread starter):
I know they must not do much, if at all any combat missions.

Things change.

Quote:
March 5, 2008: For the last two decades, the U.S. Army used the its UH-60 "Blackhawk" helicopter for combat assault missions, while the larger CH-47 "Chinook" was used just for moving cargo. But the army found that, in the high altitudes of Afghanistan, the more powerful CH-47 was often the only way to go in the thin mountain air. While doing that, the army found that the CH-47 made an excellent assault helicopter. In many ways, it was superior to the UH-60, mainly because the CH-47 carries more troops and moves faster and farther.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairmo/articles/20080305.aspx
Where are all of my respected members going?