LAXPAX
Topic Author

Usmc Having "Issues" With Osprey's RR Engines

Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Wired's "Danger Room" blog today referenced an article from the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, which reports that the Marine Corps is experiencing "...Some long-term issues with Rolls-Royce" that they need to address. The primary gripe seems to be lower-than-expected engine life, which is NOT attributable to the conditions in Iraq. Amazingly, the USMC have hinted that a change of supplier is not out of the question.

I posted this because the article does not seem to be just another knee-jerk condemnation of the Osprey.

Danger Room post

Star-Telegram article
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

MCIGuy

RE: Usmc Having "Issues" With Osprey's RR Engines

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:37 am

Wow, this is pretty huge, especially the part about considering other suppliers. How expensive would that be though, we're not talking about some small component here.
I love the Osprey, BTW, and think it's the logical replacement for the ancient CH-46s. I especially like the idea of the USMC getting brand-new equipment and not being forced to rely on outdated stuff.  Smile
Airliners.net Moderator Team

kc135topboom

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:38 am

But, I don't think a GE or P&W engine is in the works, right now to replace the RRs

dragon6172

Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Anyone know if the C-27J or the C-130J is having issues with their engine on wing time? The AE 1107 Liberty on the Osprey shares the same core as the C-27 and C-130J's AE 2100.

I would guess that the problem causing removals is not in the accessories, because I would think it would be cheaper to update them instead of replacing the whole engine. If the problem is with the engine core, and it's not being seen on other aircraft that use the engine, then is it because of the way the Osprey uses its engine? Spending most of its time vertical? If that is the case, who is to say any other manufacturer will have any greater success?
Phrogs Phorever

ulfinator

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:11 pm

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 3):
The AE 1107 Liberty on the Osprey shares the same core as the C-27 and C-130J's AE 2100.

I am sure the Osprey engineers took this into account but I would figure there has to be some differences in how you lubricate an engine that would normals just sit horizontally but now transitions into the vertical position.

It would be interesting to know what interesting challenges had to be/still have to be overcome with engine in those areas.

moo

Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting LAXPAX (Thread starter):
The primary gripe seems to be lower-than-expected engine life, which is NOT attributable to the conditions in Iraq.

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 3):
C-130J is having issues with their engine on wing time?

The RAFs C-130J did have huge engine life issues to begin with, with much blame being piled on the RR engines themselves.

In the end, it was discovered that the problem lay with the FADEC system applying 'maximum power' in a 'maximum continuous power' situation, resulting in a lower engine life. The FADEC was updated and engine life has fallen back to expected durations.

dragon6172

Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Quoting Ulfinator (Reply 4):
I am sure the Osprey engineers took this into account but I would figure there has to be some differences in how you lubricate an engine that would normals just sit horizontally but now transitions into the vertical position.

I think the difficult part here is when the engine is static. How the oil drains around the seals and bearings while the engine is not running. Its my understanding that is one of the reasons those engines smoke so bad while starting up.

Lubrication while operating should not be too much of an issue, oil is under pressure and there are probably scavenge pumps to return the oil to the resovoir.

All just guesses on my part, anyone more familiar can chime in. Be interesting to know what exactly is causing the low on wing time.
Phrogs Phorever