Blackbird1331
Topic Author

NASA's Cameras

Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:04 pm

I saw a commercial where a company claims NASA uses its batteries to operate their camers because the batteries are so reliable. My mediocre camera has rechargeable batteries. NASA does not? What type of cameras are they using? You would think with all of that renewable energy at their disposal that they would use rechargeable batteries. Anyone have an answer?
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

DfwRevolution

RE: NASA's Cameras

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:02 pm

The company was Duracell and the entire point of the commercial was to advertise a rechargeable product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HINt4PLsE6E

NASA uses a huge variety of rechargeable batteries for things like handheld tools, laptops, cameras, etc. The entire ISS draws power from batteries when it is on the "night" side of Earth each orbit.

Thorny

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:18 pm

Quoting Blackbird1331 (Thread starter):
I saw a commercial where a company claims NASA uses its batteries to operate their camers because the batteries are so reliable. My mediocre camera has rechargeable batteries. NASA does not? What type of cameras are they using? You would think with all of that renewable energy at their disposal that they would use rechargeable batteries. Anyone have an answer?

If memory serves, it was the IMAX* camera in the cargo bay (scheduled for one more flight... the last Hubble repair mission.) They could have provided the IMAX system with electricity from the Orbiter (to recharge the batteries), but that would have driven up cost and complexity. So it needed a long-life battery to last through the various missions.

*I think the Duracell commercial explicity shows the IMAX logo.

Blackbird1331
Topic Author

Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:47 pm

My fault. I do not watch too much of the commercials, usually just enough to see if it pertinent to something I am looking for. I first caught the NASA part and then the end where it displays a conventional, non-rechargeable battery. I watched the Utube video all the way through and saw the logo and a brief view of a rechargeable battery.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.