Tugger
Topic Author

Northrop Wins USN Surveillance UAV ~$1.2billion

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:30 am

Northrop just won the UAV competition for the Broad Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS). Basically these are special Predator aircraft with unique sensor packages and performance capabilities, they will work closely with the new P-8. Current outlook is to have 50 BAMS working with the 100+ P-8 ASW aircraft.

From the FI article on the award:

Quote:
.....a roughly 50-aircraft unmanned aircraft system (UAS) fleet to partner with the 108-fleet Boeing P-8A Poseidon....

The two fleets will focus on different missions. The P-8A will continue the P-3C’s primary focus on anti-submarine warfare, while the BAMS fleet will focus on surface and overland surveillance across a wide swath of territory.

....each responsible for maintaining a persistent surveillance vigil over a 2,000nm radius.

.... the BAMS aircraft also will be tasked to dive to low-altitude, requiring a new level of high- and low-altitude agility for a UAS fleet.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...for-1.1-billion-bams-contract.html

More UAV's in the air, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the coming years.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

ZBBYLW

RE: Northrop Wins USN Surveillance UAV ~$1.2billion

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:44 am

Well it is good to see Northrop doing well these days. Another flying job going to computers though.
Keep the shinny side up!

aardvark

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:17 am

Predator? I thought Northrop produced the Global Hawk.

Tugger
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Quoting Aardvark (Reply 2):
Predator? I thought Northrop produced the Global Hawk.

Damn! I hate it when I make THAT basic a mistake. You are absolutely correct, it is Global Hawk based and nothing to do with the General Atomics Predator which actually lost the competition.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Stitch

RE: Northrop Wins USN Surveillance UAV ~$1.2billio

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:45 pm

Having also won the Naval UCAV contract with their X-47 Pegasus, as well, this new contract is more good news for NG.

[Edited 2008-04-23 10:45:25]