CaptOveur
Topic Author

Long Range Visual ID System On F-14

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:02 pm

I was reading somewhere and in passing I saw a mention to a television based visual identification system on the F-14. Was such a system real? Did it work well and was it actually practical? Why haven't any fighters since bothered with such a system- or have they?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

rwessel

RE: Long Range Visual ID System On F-14

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:16 pm

The Tomcat was capable of carrying the Northrop AAX-1 TV based optical system, although its actual deployment was very slow. The F-14D had a somewhat updated system.

To the best of my knowledge, no other U.S. fighter has ever had a similar system.

An obvious issue is that such a system is useless at night, or in less than perfect visibility.

CaptOveur
Topic Author

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:03 pm

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 1):
An obvious issue is that such a system is useless at night, or in less than perfect visibility.

So they never thought of a low light capable system? Or did someone in congress decide to cut it off before the system reached maturity?

I am just thinking in the regional type conflicts that appear to be the main focus of our military a system that would allow a visual identification at long range would be pretty useful, even if it was only useful in good weather.

Also, where was this system located on the F-14?
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

DeltaGuy

Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:05 pm

It was located on the bottom of the nose, just aft of the radome. Pretty easy to pick out.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

Moose135

Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:30 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 2):
Also, where was this system located on the F-14?

It's on the left side (in these photos - starboard side of the a/c) of the fairing under the radome:

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/85623468_adYQo-L.jpg

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 1):
To the best of my knowledge, no other U.S. fighter has ever had a similar system.

Later models of the F-4E had a TISEO (Target Identification System, Electro-Optical) installed on the port wing leading edge. It's the big tube sticking out of the front of the wing inboard of the slats.

http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/152092517_SAUNv-L.jpg
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!