fxramper

Stories From The U2.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 am

Anyone know any good reading about the U2? I recently got introduced, at my local airpark, to a NW Sr International Captain that flew U2 for the Air Force for years. This guy is full of insane stories. I'd like to find a collection of a written work if one exists.

Any stories you know of?

unattendedbag

RE: Stories From The U2.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:35 am

Slower traffic, keep right

HaveBlue

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Good article Unattendedbag. One question, if anyone knows the answer. In the article it says "The forward cockpit also is equipped with a small side-view mirror extending into the air stream. It is used to determine if the U-2 is generating a telltale contrail when over hostile territory. " I understand that, but if they are leaving a contrail, can they do anything about it? Is it just so they are aware that they are more visible, or do they change altitudes to stop creating one? Color me curious.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

rwessel

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:56 am

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 2):
I understand that, but if they are leaving a contrail, can they do anything about it? Is it just so they are aware that they are more visible, or do they change altitudes to stop creating one?

While the USAF has done some research into things that can be injected into the engines that reduce contrail formation, I'm not aware that anything like that is in actual use. Of course it’s not likely that they’d tell me about it either…

But they can (and do) change altitude. Contrail formation and persistence requires some fairly specific atmospheric conditions (temperatures well below freezing and humidity near the saturation point), and a few thousand feet climb or descent will usually get you out of the area where you're generating large and persistent contrails.