Tugger
Topic Author

Russian Arms Sales Increasing

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:38 pm

So Russia is back on track with its arms sales, looks to become as big as the old Soviet arms sales were. This is no surprise as this is one of Russia's strengths in the international markets.

Quote:
.... weapons exports will exceed $8 billion this year, Russian news agencies reported.

But I found this interesting:

Quote:
But despite the steady increase in sales, Russia has suffered several recent, highly publicized failures in arms exports which were widely attributed to swelling production costs and general inefficiency of the nation's weapons industries.

Russia demanded a revision of the contract price in a deal to refurbish a Soviet-era aircraft carrier for the Indian Navy, and difficult talks with the disgruntled Indian officials are still ongoing. It also has failed to fulfill China's order for 38 Il-76 transport planes and Il-78 tankers, leading to the suspension of the deal.

Earlier this year Algeria also returned the MiG-29 fighter jets it bought from Russia, complaining of their poor quality.

Dmitriyev acknowledged Tuesday that the Russian military industries have struggled to fulfill the earlier contracts.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...6RU80

How are USA's sales (are they all disclosed)? Have we ever had issues like Russia with returns? Have other arms selling nations (France, Britain, Israel, etc)?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

Bengan

RE: Russian Arms Sales Increasing

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:45 pm

http://armstrade.sipri.org/ - A list of sales with recipients and order values can be found in the trade registers.

Top ten weapons exporters(% of total value, 2003-2007) :

Country - share of world market
1. USA - 30,93%
2. Russia - 25,45%
3. Germany - 9,76%
4. France - 8,56%
5. UK - 4,27%
6. Netherlands - 3,68%
7. Italy - 2,33%
8. Sweden - 1,92%
9. China - 1,84%
10. Ukraine - 1,55%

That Russia is having issues with exports to China and India comes as no surprise, almost three quarters(67%) of Russian arms exports goes to those two countries. The Algerian MiG-29 return was attributed to the manufacturer using old unsold frames as a base for the 'new' aircrafts.

/Bengt

ebj1248650

RE: Russian Arms Sales Increasing

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:10 pm

Quoting Tugger (Thread starter):
How are USA's sales (are they all disclosed)? Have we ever had issues like Russia with returns? Have other arms selling nations (France, Britain, Israel, etc)?

Tugg

The French used to have a reputation for not supporting the military equipment they sold after it was delivered, or of not being timely enough in their support actions. I don't know if that still holds true today.
Dare to dream; dream big!