bmacleod

US-Russian Programs At Risk?

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:44 pm

Recent military threats against the Russia-Georgian conflict have brought new concerns to light...

The ISS (International Space Station) is operated mainly by US astronauts and Russian (cosmonauts). It needs the Soyuz to keep supplying the astronauts as the shuttle is a much less frequent visitor.

Any US military action against Russia would put this and other joint US-Russian programs in jeopardy...or would it?

[Edited 2008-08-20 10:44:58]
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul.

dl767captain

RE: US-Russian Programs At Risk?

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:06 pm

I would think if there was an actual war with Russia we wouldn't see Russians in the ISS. However just some disagreements (like now) shouldn't stop a peaceful venture between US and Russia. I'm sure the ISS would survive without the Russians, NASA would find a way i'm sure.

moo

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 pm

Quoting DL767captain (Reply 1):
I would think if there was an actual war with Russia we wouldn't see Russians in the ISS.

Why? Who is going to forbid Russian cosmonauts from the ISS?

Bear in mind also that the ISS relies on Soyuz capsules for lifeboats - no cosmonauts means no Soyuz capsules docked, means no lifeboats, means no likelyhood of NASA leaving anyone up there either.

Anyhow, I don't see Russia just meekly saying 'yes' to any demand to leave the ISS - if anything, precisely the opposite.

dl767captain

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 am

Quoting Moo (Reply 2):
Why? Who is going to forbid Russian cosmonauts from the ISS?

Bear in mind also that the ISS relies on Soyuz capsules for lifeboats - no cosmonauts means no Soyuz capsules docked, means no lifeboats, means no likelyhood of NASA leaving anyone up there either.

Anyhow, I don't see Russia just meekly saying 'yes' to any demand to leave the ISS - if anything, precisely the opposite.

I'm not saying that US would say "no russians!" but if they got in a really bad relationship then the Russians may want to pull out or something. you never know