ferrypilot

P38 White Lightning Not Going To Fly Atlantic.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Red Bull's Chief Pilot has decided not to make the planned ferry flight of their P38 "White Lightning" from Texas to Austria. ...The aircraft is now going to arrive by ship instead.
...It remains quite an interesting scenario. Anyone know if they will be able to easily separate the wing so the machine can be packed in a container.

My recollection is that during the war P38's arrived in Europe by both sea and air. When they travelled by sea they were shipped in one piece lashed on the decks of freighters.

kc135topboom

RE: P38 White Lightning Not Going To Fly Atlantic.

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Thread starter):
My recollection is that during the war P38's arrived in Europe by both sea and air. When they travelled by sea they were shipped in one piece lashed on the decks of freighters.

The wings will be removed, but I don't know how easy it is to do that.

During WWII, those P-38s that went to the theaters by sea had their wings removed outboard of the engines (the props were also removed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lockheed_P-38_Lightnings_on_CVE.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38

ferrypilot

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 1):

During WWII, those P-38s that went to the theaters by sea had their wings removed outboard of the engines (the props were also removed).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...E.jpg

That's a cool photo! ...and obviously I can have no argument with it. However, what I said above was not unqualified. My source of information was a book called "Doorknob Five Two" written by a wartime P38 pilot called Fredric Arnold. His exact words as they appear on page 52 of his book follow:-

"Five P-38's were lashed to the deck, their outboard wings protruding beyond the sides of the ship, suspended over the onrushing sea as if flying in formation. I wondered if one of them would be mine"

ebj1248650

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 am

Quoting Ferrypilot (Thread starter):
Red Bull's Chief Pilot has decided not to make the planned ferry flight of their P38 "White Lightning" from Texas to Austria. ...The aircraft is now going to arrive by ship instead.
...It remains quite an interesting scenario. Anyone know if they will be able to easily separate the wing so the machine can be packed in a container.

I'm surprised no one has asked why the decision to ship the airplane instead of flying it?
Dare to dream; dream big!

ferrypilot

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 3):
I'm surprised no one has asked why the decision to ship the airplane instead of flying it?

They would have the World believe that ..."Red Bull gives you wings" ...seems like they are admitting that such is not the case.

ebj1248650

Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 4):
They would have the World believe that ..."Red Bull gives you wings" ...seems like they are admitting that such is not the case.

Logistics problem? Not enough time to plan the flight properly? Fear the airplane may not have what it takes to complete the flight? It's curious there were plans to make the flight and now it's a no go. And it's also curious the plane's pilot made the decision and not corporate heads, or at least that was the impression I got.
Dare to dream; dream big!

MarkusB
Crew

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 4):

Hi all,

Here's a link to the story from the source:

http://www.flyingbulls.at/start_skiped_e.html

regards,

Markus
Salzburg