britjap

Jasdf F-15 Crash

Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Just read this...

Thursday 11th Sept. 2008, 16:20 (Japanese time)

A JASDF F-15 (304th Squadron, 8th Air wing, based in Chikujo, Fukuoka Prefecture) has crashed into the Sea of Japan about 30km south west of Mishima island, Yamaguchi prefecture.
The pilot, 2nd lieutenant Soichiro Murakami, successfully ejected and was later rescued.

According to the air self defence force, the aircraft took off at 15:43 and was taking part in training exercises with 6 other F-15s when trouble developed in both engines at around the same time leading to loss of power. Attempts to restart the engines were unsuccessful and the pilot, losing control of the aircraft ejected at 800m.

The investigation is already underway. They are also looking into the feasibility of recovering the crashed aircraft from the sea.

Link's in Japanese but has a couple of pictures...
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/dis...ter/080911/dst0809112230018-n1.htm

Blackbird

RE: Jasdf F-15 Crash

Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:59 pm

I have a good reason to suspect it's not a fuel-leak -- other pilots would have seen it

I wonder if there was an issue related to the fuel-control system, or some kind of maintenance related problem.

Maintenance issues aside, it does sound, at least from my perspective, kind of odd that two engines would fail at exactly the same time (unless the two came off the line one after the other and both had an identical defect in them -- but I'm not even sure what the odds of this are)

BTW: I think it would be a good idea to recover the plane from the bottom of the sea to avoid the Chinese or North Koreans from getting their hands on it (or the Russians for that matter -- We're not all that cozy with them right now: But I'm pretty sure since we were allied to them for awhile that they'd probably know the F-15's internal layout as good as we do).

KPDX

RE: Jasdf F-15 Crash

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:15 am

Glad to hear the pilot punched out.  thumbsup 

Quoting Blackbird (Reply 1):
BTW: I think it would be a good idea to recover the plane from the bottom of the sea to avoid the Chinese or North Koreans from getting their hands on it

Maybe I'm wrong, but it probably pretty much broke into a bunch of little pieces on impact.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12