Blackbird
Topic Author

Maneuverability Comparability Question

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:42 am

Okay, I'm wondering how the F-100, the F-102A and F-106A stack-up to each in order in terms of maneuverability.

Blackbird

Blackbird
Topic Author

RE: Maneuverability Comparability Question

Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:08 pm

Look, I doubt I could find anything on google about this; if I could it would take a large number of search queries to pull this off.

Here's from what I remember (I could use some clarification)

1.) The F-100 was not as maneuverable as the USAF wanted it to be and it ended up a fighter-bomber for the most part. However someone on this forum (KC135TopBoom, I think) said that the F-100 was more maneuverable than the F-8 Crusader. Considering the F-8 was a very maneuverable airplane (and I've seen some footage of those planes, especially the F8U-2 / F-8C and F-8E's) and were highly effective in dogfights against both the MiG-17 and MiG-21 in Vietnam, this sounds almost like a contradictory statement (which causes me to have doubt about the F-100 being less maneuverable than the F-8, since it was considered a disappointment to the USAF)

2.) The F-106A I was told could outmaneuver an F-4 at altitudes above 10,000 to 20,000 feet it would seem (could be wrong here), and in simulated dogfights the F-106A usually won close in fights*. I would assume the F-102A would be similar in performance as they have virtually the same wing-design (though not sure, the F-106A weighs more, and the thrust to weight ratios might not be the same on the F-102A and F-106A)

3.) The F-4 was less maneuverable than the F-100 from what I remember, and the F-106A/F-102A was/were more maneuverable than the F-4. However I don't know if the F-106A/F-102A were more maneuverable than the F-100...

Blackbird
*In 1961 SECDEF McNamara was planning on buying 360 extra F-106A's for the Air Defense Command. Due to the high-opinion of the USN's F4H-1/F-4B Phantom and it's performance, McNamara ordered a fly-off between the two. The USAF leased some F4H-1's and designated them as F-110A Spectre. The F-106 and F-110A flew off. While the F-110A had a better combat radius, climb-capability, and missile/radars, the F-106A usually won in up-close fights.