zanl188

India To Launch Lunar Mission

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:27 am

Launch is in about 25 minutes.... NASA TV is supposed to televise as there are NASA instruments aboard.

http://www.chandrayaan-i.com/

Webcast here:

http://msrv2.wstream.net/isro/
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

zanl188

RE: India To Launch Lunar Mission

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:12 am

Appears to have been a good launch.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

BarfBag

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:22 am

Chandrayaan-! Launched Successfully
Currently in 23000x240 km orbit . Orbit elevation in progress to enable earth escape. The 590-kg payload will reach the moon in 5 days. It consists of 11 instruments, half from India and the rest from NASA, ESA and other agencies who were invited to provide their own instruments without charge, in return for the ISRO having free access to their data.

A great day for India  Smile

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 am

Fantastic Achievement.Congrats to all involved.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/M...I_launched/articleshow/3625806.cms

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

comorin

Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Hats off to the ISRO team!

Here's hoping that the LAM works just as well and is able to propel the craft into the various orbital stages.

It's interesting that while India's previous space efforts had clear social objectives (distance learning, weather etc), Chandrayaan's mission seems more scientific in nature. How is the common man viewing this in terms of social benefit?

I guess Pakistan will now feel compelled to launch its own 'Halal' spacecraft.

Alessandro

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Saw that the first Indian satelite launch was in 1975, how many satelite launches has been made by ISRO during the last 33 years and the success rate?

[Edited 2008-10-22 12:28:35]
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Venus6971

Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Welcome to the club, wonder if they will get close any of the Apollo landing sights for a few pics, you tin foil brigade types need not answer we went there. Congrats and maybe this will spark a competative streak for all in space exploration.
I would help you but it is not in the contract

Thorny

Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 pm

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 6):
wonder if they will get close any of the Apollo landing sights for a few pics, you tin foil brigade types need not answer we went there.

If the Flat Earthers don't believe photos taken on the ground, why would they believe photos taken from 50 miles up? :-0

Quoting Venus6971 (Reply 6):
Congrats and maybe this will spark a competative streak for all in space exploration.

This was actually the third of four lunar missions planned for around 2008. Japan's SELENE (Kaguya) launched in September 2007. China's Chang'e 1 launched in October 2007. India's Chandrayaan launched this week, and NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is scheduled to launch in March.

TheSonntag

Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:11 pm

And the German idiots in charge refused funding for our moon mission  Sad... Congrats to India.

I am really looking forward to the LRO mission, I am quite sure Nasa will release pictures of the Apollo relics with it, as 2009 will be the 40th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing.

BarfBag

Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:25 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 5):
Saw that the first Indian satelite launch was in 1975, how many satelite launches has been made by ISRO during the last 33 years and the success rate?

The ISRO has built 45 satellites. A few were also purchased from Ford Aerospace in the late 1970s/early 80s, when they were not experts at advanced satellites yet. During that time, the heavier satellites were launched on the Ariane 4/5 or the Shuttle, but now that the ISRO has the PSLV and GLSV heavy lifters, both of which have proved their reliability, they've moved to doing everything themselves - fabricating the satellite and launcher, as well as even having their own dedicated silicon foundry to produce the hardened microchips used on board them.

Among satellites we've built, there are two primary series - the Indian National Satellite (INSAT) system of telecommunications satellites in geostationary orbit, of which 11 are currently active - the latest of them to enable local direct-to-home TV service. Besides telecom, they are used for distance learning services. The second series are the 9 Indian Remote Sensing (IRS) satellites, which are earth observation satellites used for analyzing soil conditions, meteorological conditions (especially the monsoons and cyclones), flood/drought monitoring and mineral mapping.

Chandrayaan-1's Indian payloads:
Terrain Mapping Camera
Hyper Spectral Imager
Lunar Laser Ranging Instrument
High-Energy X-ray spectrometer
Moon Impactor Probe - which will land on the moon and carry the flag of India on board.

Invited foreign payloads (chosen by competition):
Chandrayaan X-Ray Spectrometer (ESA/Rutherford Appleton Lab, UK)
Near Infrared Spectrometer (ESA/Max Planck Institute, Germany)
Sub-Kev Atom Reflecting Analyser (Swedish Institute of Space Science/ISRO)
Radiation Dose Monitor (Bulgarian Academy of Sciences)
Mini-Synthetic Aperture Radar (John Hopkins University/Naval Air Warfare Center/NASA)
Moon Mineralogy Mapper (Brown University/NASA JPL)

Official site: http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/home.htm

comorin

Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Barfbag, is there a site where you can track progress of the craft while it jumps orbits? I believe it'll take 14 days to make it into Lunar Orbit.

Thanks

BarfBag

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:47 am

The ISRO doesn't appear to list everything in real time, if that's what you're looking for. The general description of the orbital jumping maneuver is here:
http://www.isro.org/chandrayaan/htmls/mission_sequence.htm

The EBN-1 orbit raising maneuver has already been performed successfully, according to the news reports so far. The last of them, EBN-5, will be done on November 8. Part of the reason the ISRO is taking such a protracted operation is that they want to use the data from these maneuvers to collect data so they can calibrate the advanced instruments in the Indian Deep Space Network system they just inaugurated. Until now, they have had strictly LEO/polar/GEO operations, never into deep space.

As usual, the ISRO shows their practical side, rather than just make it about prestige. For a mere $85 million, they've not only gained enormous PR for India, but also inspired millions of youngsters to get an education, and to learn science and technology. That can only be a good thing.

comorin

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 pm

BB, thanks for the link and more details. It is remarkable that India is able to sling a craft to the Moon, and for just $85M!

I feel that we have gone through a lost decade or two in Science. The best and brightest are all rushing to becoming Javascript jockeys in Silicon Valley or Quants on Wall Street. What a waste of talent! If you look at the published work in Mathematics or Physics, Indian names no longer feature. There are no potential candidates of Nobels or Fields prizes in the near future. The promise of fat bonuses or stock options has slowed down finding cures for cancer or other research for human good. In my time, getting to Caltech was the end-all of life; today it's Wharton.

End of rant!

HAWK21M

Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

Amazing is the cost of the mission.
regds
MEL

comorin

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:40 am

Looks like she's halfway there...

http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/27/stories/2008102757820100.htm

A per the article, Chandrayaan is in an elliptical orbit with an apogee of about 100,000 miles.

There are three more 'jumps' :

"The three maneuvers are slated for October 29, November 3 and 8. When the Chandrayaan-1’s engine is fired on November 8, the spacecraft will go round the moon in an orbit of 7,500 km by 500 km. On November 14/15, it will reach the final orbit of 100 km around the moon"...

Bon Voyage!

BarfBag

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:26 am

The Chandrayaan is close to EBN-3 now. It is at 160,000 km from earth. The ISRO Deep Space Network seems to be working fine so far.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 12):
The best and brightest are all rushing to becoming Javascript jockeys in Silicon Valley or Quants on Wall Street.

Well, the Chandrayaan project itself may be te harbinger of change. There was a news item the other day saying ISRO received several requests in the last few days from a bunch of Indian-origin scientists at NASA asking about job opportunities at ISRO. The recent economic growth has heralded a reverse brain drain, of Indian professors and scientists returning to India. It is true that a lot of youngsters want to make a quick buck out of the IT/finance fields, though the recent economic turmoil and the collapse of investment banking as a field may change things.

comorin

Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 15):
Indian-origin scientists at NASA asking about job opportunities at ISRO.

I saw a movie with SRK as a returning NASA engineer - forget the name..  Smile I also hope every kid reads APJ's "Wings of Fire" - what an inspiring book!

trvyyz

Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:33 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 16):

I saw a movie with SRK as a returning NASA engineer - forget the name..

SWADES.

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 15):
There was a news item the other day saying ISRO received several requests in the last few days from a bunch of Indian-origin scientists at NASA asking about job opportunities at ISRO.

They must not be serious. Their pay scale is similiar to the UGC, these guys won't survive in India with that salary after being used to the lavish life. unless of course, ISRO is going to pay them on the same level as the IT guys in India.

As far as the scientists in India/ISRO are concerned, they are one of the best and dedicated and don't think of the money. I have a few friends/batchmates there. I've also been to the two ISRO centres in Trivandrum and they are pretty cool except for the CISF guys at the gate.

comorin

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 17):
They must not be serious. Their pay scale is similiar to the UGC, these guys won't survive in India with that salary after being used to the lavish life. unless of course, ISRO is going to pay them on the same level as the IT guys in India.

As far as the scientists in India/ISRO are concerned, they are one of the best and dedicated and don't think of the money. I have a few friends/batchmates there. I've also been to the two ISRO centres in Trivandrum and they are pretty cool except for the CISF guys at the gate.

TRVYYZ,  wave 

The 'Return to India' thing just doesn't work well. The guys who stayed behind are proud of what they have accomplished, and may resent interloping NRI stylos with accents! The guys going back have not only to adjust to a very different working culture but also to a different physical environment. It works best if you are going back as the boss of something.

trvyyz

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 18):

Hi Comorin,

Agree with you totally
 bigthumbsup 

BarfBag

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:24 pm

Payscales for scientists are certainly an issue. If that is addressed, there's a significant opportunity. There's a trend towards niche institutions attracting significant Indian and foreign talent, e.g. in string theory at TIFR. One more thing about ISRO is that those who apply must be Indian citizens. Don't NASA's security requirements mean these people have to become US citizens first ? If so, they lose the chance to work at ISRO.

BarfBag

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 am

Chandrayaan-I successfully completes the EBN-4 maneuver:
http://www.isro.org/pressrelease/Oct29_2008.htm

Quote:
The fourth orbit raising manoeuvre of Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft was carried out today (October 29, 2008) morning at 07:38 am IST. During this manoeuvre, the spacecraft’s 440 Newton liquid engine was fired for about three minutes. With this, Chandrayaan-1 entered into a more elliptical orbit whose apogee (farthest point to Earth) lies at 267,000 km (two lakh sixty seven thousand km) while the perigee (nearest point to Earth) lies at 465 km.Thus, Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft’s present orbit extends more than half the way to moon. In this orbit, the spacecraft takes about six days to go round the Earth once. One more orbit raising manoeuvre is scheduled to send the spacecraft to the vicinity of the moon at a distance of about 384,000 km from the Earth.

After the last EBN-5 maneuver, it will move into lunar capture orbit.

comorin

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:55 pm

Question: Given that the spacecraft is almost a light-second away, does the message to fire the motor say "Fire Now" with ISRO's computers estimating the message lag, or does the message say " Fire at xxx:xxx time on board" assuming synchronized clocks?

Thanks

trvyyz

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 22):

I'm not a rocket scientist, but let me try any ways  Wink
Why would the lag matter anyways? The speed of communication b/w earth and the satellite would be also 3x10e8 m/s (assuming rf/microwave). Also, it may use some DSP hardware in the spacecraft which is supposed to perform in real time, the lag should be minimal.
The final lag would be the mechanical firing compared to which the previous lags I mentioned would be nothing.
Basically they are trying to remote control the spacecraft to the trajectory or orbit that is desired for which I think the time wouldn't be so critical.Lemme know if my guess is wrong  Smile

comorin

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:05 am

Quoting TRVYYZ (Reply 23):
Why would the lag matter anyways? The speed of communication b/w earth and the satellite would be also 3x10e8 m/s (assuming rf/microwave). Also, it may use some DSP hardware in the spacecraft which is supposed to perform in real time, the lag should be minimal.

That's about 500 millisecs, so I guess it's not that important!

The final lag would be the mechanical firing compared to which the previous lags I mentioned would be nothing.

Good point.

Basically they are trying to remote control the spacecraft to the trajectory or orbit that is desired for which I think the time wouldn't be so critical.Lemme know if my guess is wrong

I think you're probably right. Thanks for the clearing that up  Smile

Let's see if any rocket scientists on a.net can add any further to this.

BarfBag

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 am

According to the ISRO report, the firings are done when the spacecraft is in its perigee, i.e. at the closest point to earth. So the lag would be even more irrelevant, since it is less than 1000kms away at perigee, as opposed to 270,000 at apogee. Once it is in lunar capture orbit, the lag may be more a concern, but it's hardly something ISRO would not have taken into account.

trvyyz

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 25):

The biggest concern they may have is too much firing for correction could consume more of the available power. I'm not sure how relevant this would be for the current mission.

comorin

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:37 pm

I'm just curious about how messaging actually works in a deep space context - say a Jupiter mission - - do they have a synchronized clock on board or does the ground station issue commands discounting the signal (and mechanical ) lag ?

Man, with the economy and the US elections increasing my state of anxiety, now I'm worried a satellite trying to get into Lunar Orbit!

All the best to Chandrayaan-1 and TRV's friends at ISRO!

comorin

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm

I found a cool site that gives you real-time tracking of most satellites:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=33405

Enjoy!

BarfBag

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 am

Chandrayaan-I is now in lunar capture orbit.

Chandrayaan enters lunar space for final journey
India's first moon mission Chandrayaan-I entered the lunar space early

Tuesday for its final journey into the lunar orbit
Saturday, an official of the Indian Space
Research Organisation (ISRO) said.

"The operation to put Chandrayaan into lunar space went off very well. The complex manouvre was carried out around 5am by firing the liquid apogee motor (LAM) on board for about I50 seconds to place the unmanned spacecraft 380,000 km away from earth (apogee) and I,000 km from the moon," ISRO director S. Satish said.

The distance between earth and moon is about 384,000 km.

Preparations for the next major manoeuvre will begin soon to enable the spacecraft enters lunar orbit November 8 and positions itself about 100 km from the moon's surface.

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Great achievement.Another week for complete success.
regds
MEL

comorin

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:55 am

Looks like it's Destination Moon:

http://www.hindu.com/2008/11/08/stories/2008110860851500.htm

A crucial manoeuvre, to be performed on Saturday, on Chandrayaan-1 will inject it into an orbit around the moon from its current highly elliptical orbit around the earth.

Hope it goes smoothly and slips into Lunar orbit tomorrow.

comorin

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Lunar orbit insertion succesful:

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/000200811081866.htm

Hats off to the aerospace engineers behind this defining achievement. As per another article, only 70% of lunar orbit insertions have been succesful.

Cheers

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:05 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 32):

Lunar orbit insertion succesful:

Another week to go for the landing.
regds
MEL

BarfBag

Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 am

The orbit insertion was big news in India.There were news items on TV indicating that the operation was to be performed during evening local time, and folks, including my mum, even did small pujas in the prayer room to wish the Chandrayaan luck with its move!

If the Chandrayaan completes the full orbital parking move and successfully sends out the Moon Impactor Probe, India will be the third nation after the US and ex USSR to successfully make a controlled contact with the Moon; the current Japanese and Chinese missions are orbiters.

An older Japanese mission did result in physical contact, but only because the orbiter ran out of fuel and they sent it on a decaying orbit until it crashed on the Moon.

comorin

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 33):
Another week to go for the landing.

I think it's more like a Very Controlled Flight into Terrain  Smile

I wonder what 'unauthorized' items ISRO engineers have snuck in the payload? My guess:

1. A small Ganesha statue ( God i/c of Removing Obstacles)
2. A Laddoo (sweet) or Coconut as offering.
3. Photo of Shah Rukh Khan (Another Indian God).

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 34):
and folks, including my mum, even did small pujas in the prayer room to wish the Chandrayaan luck with its move!

That's very touching! It takes me back to long ago...

HAWK21M

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 35):
I think it's more like a Very Controlled Flight into Terrain

True.
Hopefully this mission is a success.It will be a big boost for future projects.
regds
MEL

BarfBag

Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 pm

1. A small Ganesha statue ( God i/c of Removing Obstacles)
2. A Laddoo (sweet) or Coconut as offering.

thumbsup 

3. Photo of Shah Rukh Khan (Another Indian God).

yuck 

Here's an interesting news item on the orbit insertion:
http://www.hindu.com/2008/11/10/stories/2008111058230100.htm
The target was a 7500x500km insertion orbit around the Moon. They achieved 7502x504km . What stupendous accuracy! Remember, they did this with the spacecraft being 385,000kms away, on their very first deep space mission.

Other reports indicate that the Chandrayaan's terrain mapping cameras have been switched on.

comorin

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:01 am

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 37):
What stupendous accuracy! Remember, they did this with the spacecraft being 385,000kms away, on their very first deep space mission.

yes 
This also hugely enhances Brand India's reputation in delivering reliability, quality and precision. Best $75M spent.

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:01 am

Quoting BarfBag (Reply 37):
Other reports indicate that the Chandrayaan's terrain mapping cameras have been switched on.

Was wondering how much magnification can be achieved from the cameras on board.
regds
MEL

comorin

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Chandrayaan-1 successfully enters final lunar orbit:

Excerpt from today's ( 11/12/08) Times of India:

BANGALORE: Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft reached its final orbital home, about 100 kms above the moon's surface on Wednesday.

Chandrayaan-I will stay in the orbit for the next two years.

On November 9, India became the fifth member of the global moon club with Chandrayaan-1 entering the lunar orbit at 5.04 pm (IST). The other four members are the US, Russia (former Soviet Union), Japan, China and members of European Space Agency (ESA).

Job well done.

HAWK21M

Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 40):

Is that part of the plan....what about the surface of the moon.

regds
MEL

comorin

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 41):

Is that part of the plan....what about the surface of the moon.

Yes. It's mission is to map the Moon's surface. It has a payload that will be launched to crash-land on the Moon which will have an Indian flag painted on it. I am not sure what happens at the end of Chandrayaan's mission - if it'll decay its orbit and crash or if it will get a final burst of energy and head out to space.

Cheers

osiris30

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:43 pm

The other four members are the US, Russia (former Soviet Union), Japan, China and members of European Space Agency (ESA).

Not to nitpick (ok.. to nitpick).. uhhh..
1) US
2) Russia
3) Japan
4) China
5) ESA

Four?!?!

Anyway.. congrats to India on their accomplishment. But I have to ask (just as I do with any nation's moon missions), is there anything to be gained from this mission other than national pride? I had *thought* we had the moon mapped pretty well by now.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

BarfBag

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 pm

A few hours back, the Chandrayaan orbiter successfully landed its Moon Impactor Probe, which carried instrumentation and an Indian flag. The ISRO has therefore successfuly completed all the initial activities related to the mission, and will now spend the next two years using the sophisticated instrumentation onboard Chandrayaan to collect remote sensing data about the moon.

Indian Tricolour Placed on the Moon on Jawaharlal Nehru’s Birthday
http://www.isro.org/pressrelease/Nov14_2008.htm

Quote:
Weighing 34 kg at the time of its launch onboard Chandrayaan-1, the box shaped MIP carried three instruments – a video imaging system, a radar altimeter and a mass spectrometer. The video imaging system was intended to take the pictures of the moon’s surface as MIP approached it. The radar altimeter was included to measure the rate of descent of the probe to the lunar surface. Such instruments are necessary for future lunar soft landing missions. And, the mass spectrometer was for studying the extremely thin lunar atmosphere.

The CY-1 mission will be followed by CY-2 in 2010-12, when a remote controlled lunar rover will be part of the payloads carried.

BarfBag

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:31 pm

The NDTV newscast said that the MIP has started transmitting data back to the Chandrayaan-1 orbiter. Apparently the MIP landing site is close to where CY-2 intends to land the lunar exploration rover in a couple of years.

HAWK21M

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:19 am

Any Idea when the pictures will be released for public view?
regds
MEL.

BarfBag

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:48 am

Mel: ISRO has released two video capture images from the MIP as it was making its descent from the Chandrayaan to the surface of the moon. See their website:
http://www.isro.org/pslv-c11/photos/moon_images.htm

Unfortunately, like a usual sarkari organization, they are not very PR savvy.

HAWK21M

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks....Is the camera not coloured?
regds
MEL.

BarfBag

Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:12 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 48):
Thanks....Is the camera not coloured?

Mel, there's nothing much coloured to photograph on the surface of the moon. Further, greyscale provides greater image resolution. The Chandrayaan TMC's image resolution is 1-5 metres, the best among the lunar orbiters so far. The NASA LRO will exceed it next year, I believe, with a resolution of under 1 metre.