timz

U-2 Takeoff/landing On Carrier?

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Did they do arrested landings and catapault takeoffs?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesdale10/2871106059/in/photostream/

WarRI1

RE: U-2 Takeoff/landing On Carrier?

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:55 am

That is a new one to me. It must be a special mission and yet they had the wheel wings under the wings after landing. Do they carry them on the aircraft? I do not think a U2 would have anywhere near the structual strength to make an arrested landing, or catapult take off. Does anyone know? Is it a one way trip, after landing, they store the aircraft and unload after returning to base?
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

kc135topboom

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:01 am

In 1963 the CIA U-2s operated from two USN CVs, the USS America, CV-66, and USS Ranger, CV-61.

zanl188

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting WarRI1 (Reply 1):
I do not think a U2 would have anywhere near the structual strength to make an arrested landing, or catapult take off. Does anyone know? Is it a one way trip, after landing, they store the aircraft and unload after returning to base?

Given those huge wings, a clear deck, and the ship pointed into the wind I bet the U-2 did not need the catapult or arresting....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

WarRI1

Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 am

[quote=ZANL188,reply=3]Given those huge wings, a clear deck, and the ship pointed into the wind I bet the U-2 did not need the catapult or arresting....

If Gen. Doolittle could do it in 1942 with the B25, you are probably correct. Doolittle only had a one way trip. This still must be tricky with the U2, a liitle windy at times for those huge wings. If you miss the approach, you cannot land under full power like the fighters with hooks. What is you arresting gear, a large net?

bbaldwin09

Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 am

U-2G

A-models modified with reinforced landing gear, added arresting hook, and wing spoilers for US Navy carrier operations; 3 converted
BBaldwin09

9VSIO

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting BBaldwin09 (Reply 5):
A-models

Are you sure? The CIA book in my hands (declassified and heavily redacted) claims that it was a C model that got modded initially.

The original attempt was also made without any modifications - it successfully took off, but bounced on landing attempt, so Johnson had to make the changes stated in the previous post. The tests were done on the Kitty Hawk. The page following is completed redacted, so I presume it discussed operations from the carriers.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

bbaldwin09

Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:28 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 6):
Are you sure? The CIA book in my hands (declassified and heavily redacted) claims that it was a C model that got modded initially.

You are absolutly right. The initial testing was done with a U-2C that was crane lifted onto the deck of the USS Kitty Hawk at San Diego, California.

However, after the initial testing with the U-2C was deemed a success "Lockheed and the Navy modified three U-2A airframes with stronger landing gear, an arresting hook, and wing spoilers to decrease the lift during landing. These new aircraft became known as the U-2G".

These are the three airframes I am referring to as being the U-2G model.
BBaldwin09

WarRI1

Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 6):
The original attempt was also made without any modifications - it successfully took off, but bounced on landing attempt, so Johnson had to make the changes stated in the previous post. The tests were done on the Kitty Hawk. The page following is completed redacted, so I presume it discussed operations from the carriers.

Interesting, I had never heard of that type of operation, thanks for the information to both of you.

jgarrido

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:39 pm

I have a hard time picturing an u-2 fitting into the hanger deck on one of the elevators, but evidential it was possible.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0050.shtml

ptrjong

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Quoting Jgarrido (Reply 9):
I have a hard time picturing an u-2 fitting into the hanger deck on one of the elevators, but evidential it was possible.

They removed the wings I'm sure.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

connies4ever

Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:59 pm

IIRC, there was also a demo of a Herc landing on a carrier. I have seen a vid of it, but I can't remember the link. Pretty cool.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DeltaGuy

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:18 am

I hope that when the USS Ranger becomes a museum, that maybe they can find a U2 to put on the flight deck to illustrate this little-known mission from her past.

With sistership America sitting at the bottom of the Atlantic, this would be good nod to her too.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

unattendedbag

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:55 am

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 11):
IIRC, there was also a demo of a Herc landing on a carrier. I have seen a vid of it, but I can't remember the link. Pretty cool.

Follow the link in reply #9, check the bottom of the page for a c-130 link, click the link and there should be a link at the bottom of that c-130 article...
Slower traffic, keep right

connies4ever

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:45 am

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 13):
Follow the link in reply #9, check the bottom of the page for a c-130 link, click the link and there should be a link at the bottom of that c-130 article...

Awesome ! Thanks for the link. The Herc was and is a remarkable a/c.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

broke

Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:26 pm

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force has an exhibit dedicated to the U-2. Among the artifacts on display is the tail hook from the U-2 that flew off and onto a carrier.
The display is under the museum's U-2 (its hanging from the ceiling) in the Kettering Cold War Gallery.

vikkyvik

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 11):

That one was neither catupulted nor arrested, though, correct?

I seem to remember that they just pointed the ship into a 40-knot wind, and let the Herc do the rest.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".