Mortyman
Topic Author

Helicopter Lands On KNM Skjold At 30 Knots

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 am

Royal Norwegian Navy's Littoral Combat Craft SKJOLD performs a 60 knots close pass of a frigate, then a helicopter lands on deck at 30 knots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWbRqf4MOo

KNM Skjold is the fastest warship in the world.

UH60FtRucker

RE: Helicopter Lands On KNM Skjold At 30 Knots

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:23 am

The ship was cool.

But the landing... what was so special about that? Anyone who's done deck-quals has probably landed at around that speed. I think the highest I ever landed at was 41kts (wind and boat speed) and we were landing because we wanted too. There are guys I fly with who have landed in far worse conditions, not by choice, but by necessity.

Anyway, the cool part of the vid was when the helicopter picks up off the boat. You can see the moment he exits ground effect and the helicopter sinks. Good visual demonstration of the phenomenon for students.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

ferrypilot

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:01 am

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):

KNM Skjold is the fastest warship in the world.

Is it a cat? ...It looks like it might have two hulls.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 1):
But the landing... what was so special about that?

Well, I'm not a hellicopter pilot myself, but I would guess it'smore difficult to land in fron on the ship when the ship moves in 30 knots than on the back oj the ship when it moves away from you. But that's me. Other than that, the ship is'nt really built to take onboard hellicopters.

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 2):
Is it a cat? ...It looks like it might have two hulls.

It's an aircussion catamaran. It's stealth.

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:29 pm

I don't think the ship was doing anywhere near 30 knots when the chopper finally touched down, it was probably not doing anymore than 10-15.

keesje

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 pm

The ship / weather conditions looks stable to me. Bad weather / sea is tougher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAiP9VakTgc
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

UH60FtRucker

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 3):
Well, I'm not a hellicopter pilot myself, but I would guess it'smore difficult to land in fron on the ship when the ship moves in 30 knots than on the back oj the ship when it moves away from you. But that's me. Other than that, the ship is'nt really built to take onboard hellicopters.

After watching the video again, I am almost certain KiwiRob was correct: the ship was not going 30kts while the helicopter was landing.

With that being said, yes it's more difficult to land at the front of the ship - or to do VERTREPs - but not exceedingly difficult. The main difficultly lies with the fact that unlike a rear pad approach, landing forward of the superstructure means you needs to fly sideward. Helicopters have operating limitations for rear and side ward flying, so they would have to remain within limits.

But I would say the most difficult part of landing on a ship, is not the speed, it is the roll and pitch of the ship. It's very difficult to fly the helicopter and judge the motion of the ship. During moderate and severe seas, the ship will be rolling severely. As the pilot, you have to be cautious against landing one wheel too early, and thus get into dynamic roll over.

I find it best to not waste time. Trying to hunt for the perfect hover, or perfect moment to land will only exhaust your arms. Approach the ship, stabilize over the pad, follow the instructions of the LSO, and put it down smoothly, but quickly.

-UH60

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Well, the one that has posted the video seems to be working on one of these things, so I don't see any reason why he would lie on the speed at touchdown of the helicopter. Then he might as well have entitled the clip as " helicopter lands on ship doing 60 knots "

Anyway, I don't think that this will be a regulare thing. It was most likely just a test of the possibilities of the ship. As I said earlier the ship does'nt have a helicopter pad and is'nt really designed to take ona helicopter.

UH60FtRucker

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 7):
Well, the one that has posted the video seems to be working on one of these things, so I don't see any reason why he would lie on the speed at touchdown of the helicopter. Then he might as well have entitled the clip as " helicopter lands on ship doing 60 knots "

I'm not calling you, or the video poster, a liar. I'm just saying, as someone who has landed on ships, and has actual experience with this... it does not look like a 30kt crosswind landing. No need to get defensive. We simply have a differing opinion. Life does go on.

Kiwirob

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:43 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 7):

The youtube poster didn't say anything about the helicopter landing on the ship at 30 knots. All he said was "KNM Skjold lands helicopter"

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:57 pm

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 9):
The youtube poster didn't say anything about the helicopter landing on the ship at 30 knots. All he said was "KNM Skjold lands helicopter"

Have a look under " more info " to the right on the page...

" Royal Norwegian Navy's Littoral Combat Craft SKJOLD performs a 60 knots close pass of a frigate, then a helicopter lands on deck at 30 knots. "

ferrypilot

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 3):
It's an aircussion catamaran. It's stealth.

How is the air cushion generated?

Scooter01

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:19 pm

Quoting Ferrypilot (Reply 11):
How is the air cushion generated?

It is a SES (Surface Effect Ship) -meaning that it rides on an air-cushion generated by the air trapped between the hulls by the boats speed through the air, controlled by adjustable curtains in front of and at the rear of the "tunnel". This cushion can also be augmented by blowers located under the forward end of the ship.

This might give you some idea: (click "basic facts" on left sidebar)
http://www.knmskjold.org/english/index.html

I have seen this boat during some of it's trial-runs, and the hot exhaust-plume rising from the rear is most impressive
-so much for stealth.

Scooter01

[Edited 2008-11-24 15:48:35]

[Edited 2008-11-24 15:51:03]
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Mortyman
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 12):
I have seen this boat during some of it's trial-runs, and the hot exhaust-plume rising from the rear is most impressive -so much for stealth.

Smile

[Edited 2008-11-24 15:46:59]

ferrypilot

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 12):

It is a SES (Surface Effect Ship) -meaning that it rides on an air-cushion generated by the air trapped between the hulls by the boats speed through the air, controlled by adjustable curtains in front of and at the rear of the "tunnel". This cushion can also be augmented by blowers located under the forward end of the ship.

Very interesting, I hadn't heard of this design before. ...Saw photo's of the curtains on the website, amazing how big the front one's are. They must take a hell of a beating in rough seas.