Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wassupsf
Topic Author

EA-6B And E/A-18's

Thu May 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Buddy of mine is a former Prowler guy and wanted to know if there is anyone here with info the the replacement of the Prowler with the E/A-18. What benefits does the -18 airframe pose pose that improves the mission over the EA-6B. I know longevity is an issue and speed will change. Anything else?

dragon6172

RE: EA-6B And E/A-18's

Thu May 14, 2009 9:22 pm

I would say that a lot of it comes down to cost. Costs a lot to maintain an old aircraft, especially ones that are doing cat launces and traps aboard a carrier. Plus, the Growler will be a two man show, so they can save money in the numbers of NFO's they need to train. The Prowler was great when it came out because logistically it shared a lot with the Intruder. Not the case any more, and the Navy can use the same argument of the E/A-18G sharing a lot of parts with other Super Hornets.

connies4ever

Thu May 14, 2009 9:53 pm

I'd agree with Dragon6172 and I think I'd also add that technology improves every year. The Growler incorporates a lot of new tech that perhaps the Prowler didn't have and which would be uber-expensive to retrofit -- which goes back to Dragon's cost point.

One less type in fleet implies lower costs through reduced parts inventory, less divergent training required, and enhanced fleet commonality.

That said, the Prowler had a mighty fine career, and I am certain that many former 'Prowler guys' have damp eyes as they see their ride go away.

LMP737

Fri May 15, 2009 12:22 am

There's a very good article in the April-May issue of Combat Aircraft about the Growler. The WSO has a huge 8in x 10in full color tactical display, very impressive. Even though the Super Hornet is capable of supersonic flight the Growler will be limited to Mach .95 with the ALQ-99 pods. A pod capable of supersonic flight is supposed to come online in 2018.

ebj1248650

Fri May 15, 2009 7:43 am

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 3):
There's a very good article in the April-May issue of Combat Aircraft about the Growler. The WSO has a huge 8in x 10in full color tactical display, very impressive. Even though the Super Hornet is capable of supersonic flight the Growler will be limited to Mach .95 with the ALQ-99 pods. A pod capable of supersonic flight is supposed to come online in 2018.

I presume there's more to developing that supersonic pod than mere aerodynamic factors? Seems a long time to develop the pod. Is the speed restriction going to hurt the Growler's combat capability?

dragon6172

Fri May 15, 2009 11:41 am

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 4):
I presume there's more to developing that supersonic pod than mere aerodynamic factors? Seems a long time to develop the pod. Is the speed restriction going to hurt the Growler's combat capability?

I would guess the speed restriction is due to the fact the ALQ-99 gets its power from a propeller on the front of it. Not sure how the aerodynamics passing the sound barrier would effect it, but I would imagine it would not work as advertised.

LMP737

Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 pm

Quoting Dragon6172 (Reply 5):
I would guess the speed restriction is due to the fact the ALQ-99 gets its power from a propeller on the front of it. Not sure how the aerodynamics passing the sound barrier would effect it, but I would imagine it would not work as advertised.

That would be my guess as well. I'm also thinking that the design of a new jammer pod would be more aerodynamically efficent than the current ALQ-99.

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 4):
Seems a long time to develop the pod. Is the speed restriction going to hurt the Growler's combat capability?

We are talking about a DOD program.  Wink

While the Growler might not be able to go supersonic with the ALQ-99 it can still get in and out of a target area quicker than the EA-6B.

N328KF

Tue May 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Well, I know the EF-111 was able to do with two crewmen what required four on the EA-6B. Presumably, this level of automation has been increased on the EF-18G.