texl1649

No More Super Hornets?

Mon May 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Not sure I understand the logic behind terminating this platform.

http://informationdissemination.blog...rving-indecision-of-so-called.html

This is a platform having some international success and there is little hope to add new products to the St. Louis plant as F-15/Harrier work is also dying down. If the requirements exist why is this happening? We seem to be able to spend gobs of money on anything other than real military needs...

Maybe I'm missing something. Navair folks, is the SH really not well received in the fleet?

AirRyan

RE: No More Super Hornets?

Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

I've always supported the logic behind taking Boeing up on it's $49.9m Super Hornet offer; it's bonehead thinking like the F-35C is going to come in on time, under weight, and under budget this that make the high costs of Navy aircraft carriers seem like a waste of money when we fail to wield capable aircraft from them. A modern aircraft carrier with no equally modern air wing from it's deck is about as useless of combat vessel as they come.

par13del

Tue May 19, 2009 12:52 am

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 1):
A modern aircraft carrier with no equally modern air wing from it's deck is about as useless of combat vessel as they come

Some would also question the Superhornet jack of all trades as being modern and capable. The Navy had earlier cut back its purchase of the Rhino and made plans to keep the older models around a bit longer, I don't think cost was the only factor, one thing we know for sure is that pilot retention is an issue, planes may be a smoke screen.

ThePointblank

Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 am

Quoting Par13del (Reply 2):
Some would also question the Superhornet jack of all trades as being modern and capable. The Navy had earlier cut back its purchase of the Rhino and made plans to keep the older models around a bit longer, I don't think cost was the only factor, one thing we know for sure is that pilot retention is an issue, planes may be a smoke screen.

Not to mention that, the C/D Hornets are getting very worn out despite that they are somewhat 'newer'. They had a lot more traps and shoots than the A/B's, and as a result, they are pulling modernized A/B Hornets back into the carrier flight group over the C/D's.

ebj1248650

Tue May 19, 2009 3:34 am

Some would also question the Superhornet jack of all trades as being modern and capable. The Navy had earlier cut back its purchase of the Rhino and made plans to keep the older models around a bit longer,

Navy couldn't afford more Super Hornets? It wasn't living up to expectations so they chose to keep the legacy Hornets instead? Not sure I understand the situation here.
Dare to dream; dream big!

AirRyan

Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Some would also question the Superhornet jack of all trades as being modern and capable.

Oh it's modern given the advent of modern electronic and avionics, but it was a half-assed attempt on an already half-assed attempt to achieve the minimums. I agree, when you don't stick the best you otherwise could on your carrier decks, you're directly negating the value of your carriers. I think further upgrading the F-14D's and A-6F's as the Navy did with the Super Hornet instead would have yielded the more capable Carrier Air Wing.

Quoting ThePointblank (Reply 3):
Not to mention that, the C/D Hornets are getting very worn out despite that they are somewhat 'newer'.

That's what the 180 SH buy was supposed to cover, the legacy Hornets that would need to be retired before the F-35C's would be able to replace them.

redflyer

Tue May 19, 2009 5:08 pm

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 1):
it's bonehead thinking like the F-35C is going to come in on time, under weight, and under budget

Isn't that why Australia ordered a handful of Super Hornets, to provide interim capabilities in the event the F-35 was delayed?
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

WESTERN737800

Sat May 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Quoting TexL1649 (Thread starter):
We seem to be able to spend gobs of money on anything other than real military needs...

Well said!

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 5):
I think further upgrading the F-14D's and A-6F's as the Navy did with the Super Hornet instead would have yielded the more capable Carrier Air Wing.

I agree. I always thought the F-14 and A-6 were very capable airplanes and they were retired too soon.
I think the F-18 is a good platform, to not get any more could put us in a vulnerable position in the future. I don't think leaving the carrier air wings short handed is a good way to deploy multiple carriers in different parts of the world. There have been more than enough cuts in our military over the years. The time to stop this nonsense is now.
Bring back Western Airlines!

Max Q

Sun May 24, 2009 12:54 am

Perhaps the new 'improved' F414 engine with 20% more power could breath new life into this program and make this aircraft what it should have been.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.