QANTAS747-438
Topic Author

Space Shuttle Alternate Site: LAX?

Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 am

I have heard that LAX could be used for a Space Shuttle landing should the need arise for whatever reason. Is this correct? Also, does anyone have a complete list of all alternate airports?
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

connies4ever

RE: Space Shuttle Alternate Site: LAX?

Wed May 27, 2009 9:02 am

Not claiming to know everything, I don't think so, as I believe the Shuttle needs a 15,000 ft runway for safety considerations. I think LAX tops out at about 11,500 or so. Might be able to do it, but you'd have to land on the button, and in a glider that's generally not advisable.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

OffshoreAir

Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 am

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 1):
Not claiming to know everything, I don't think so, as I believe the Shuttle needs a 15,000 ft runway for safety considerations. I think LAX tops out at about 11,500 or so. Might be able to do it, but you'd have to land on the button, and in a glider that's generally not advisable.

MCO is a back-up, and I believe MLB was (and maybe still is) 3rd in line for an aborted liftoff. MCO is at 12,000ft and MLB has a 10,181ft runway

[Edited 2009-05-27 02:31:18]
OffshoreAir

rwessel

Wed May 27, 2009 9:50 am

Why would you need LAX as an alternate when Edwards is just 100 miles up the road?

A semi-current list:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/facility/sts-els.htm

And here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle

Basically they picked a nice dispersal of sites under the likely flight paths of the shuttle. You don't really need two in the same place. In case of a short de-orbit burn, you need someplace further down-range (and there are several sites that are the normal down-range backups for KSC and EDW). LAX wouldn't help there either.

TheSonntag

Sun May 31, 2009 2:11 pm

Even CGN is sometimes referred to have been a landing site for the Shuttle...

However, I was indeed surprised that one base in Morocco was actually a landing site in the recent STS-125 mission, although this was not mentioned before the launch... It was made necessary because of the trajectory... But using LAX would seem strange, maybe for the almost impossible case that they land in Edwards and have to land at another place after de-orbit burn has already occurred...

mayor

Sun May 31, 2009 2:19 pm

I can't imagine what disruption that might cause at LAX. Of course, they'd have to shut down traffic, both arriving and departing, for a little while, at least. Besides, at Edwards, you've got the place to yourself and alot of room if there's any mistakes. You don't have that luxury at LAX and what if something goes wrong during the approach? You're flying over mostly populated territory.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

michlis

Sun May 31, 2009 3:24 pm

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 3):
A semi-current list:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/...s.htm

Well that confirms what I've been hearing for years is that Pease in New Hampshire is an abort site.
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the outcome of a hundred battles.