HaveBlue
Topic Author

Atlas V Launch Today

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:05 pm

Was a bit surprised it wasn't already posted but I think its a neat mission. At 5:12pm EDT if all goes well Atlas V with LRO and LCROSS satellites will take off from Kennedy Space Center. I live in Daytona Beach and hope to get a good view of it. LRO will crash into a moon crater on purpose to see if there's water there.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/main/index.html
Here Here for Severe Clear!

TheSonntag

RE: Atlas V Launch Today

Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I was considering to post a thread, as well... (I guess you should change the title to LRO, though).

LCROSS shall crash, LRO shall stay around the moon for many years.

I wonder if we will see pictures of the apollo landing sites at the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing.

GST

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:50 pm

I suppose the height of the orbit will dictate if it can see the apollo aites in sufficient detail to see a lander. I understand that the reason for it is to pick out future landing sites so it would be safe to assume powerful cameras are onboard.

TheSonntag

Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:52 pm

Quoting GST (Reply 2):
I suppose the height of the orbit will dictate if it can see the apollo aites in sufficient detail to see a lander. I understand that the reason for it is to pick out future landing sites so it would be safe to assume powerful cameras are onboard.

The capability is there. In any case, we might get much better pictures of the moon finally. Despite being so close, the pictures available are quite old, way before digital imaging became as great as it is today, and so many pictures are very old. I expect spectacular pictures.

GST

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Given that the moon has no atmosphere, you could theoretically give it an elliptical orbit getting 100ft from the surface at times, so any camera would do. Not gonna happen mind, but that would be cool.

TheSonntag

Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Today, LRO has published its first pictures. I actually got an official answer from NASA that LRO will take pictures of the Apollo landing sites. In fact, the answer was so friendly, I would like to post it here. Thanks to the people of Nasa answering questions from interested enthusiasts, I did not expect that.

This is the answer:

Thank you for your interest in the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Mission. Nancy forwarded your email to me; I am the deputy project scientist. On board the spacecraft are the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Cameras (LROC), in particular the Narrow Angle Camera, which will have a resolution of 50 cm from a 50 km orbit. This resolution is sufficient to image the Apollo landing sites. We hope to have good images of these sites however we may have to wait until lighting conditions are ideal in order to have the best images. Looking directly above a target, it is often the shadows that help one to distinguish features below so a low sun angle will give us the best images. All images will be put into the Planetary Data System within 6 months of obtaining them. The PDS is open to the public. However high value targets such as the Apollo missions will be released as soon as possible through an image-of-the-day on the NASA or LROC web sites or through a press release.

You might be interested in knowing that the public can suggest imaging targets through the web site put together by the LROC team. You can find it at http://target.lroc.asu.edu/output/lroc/lroc_page.html. So if you think of a site that particularly interest you, be sure to submit it to the data base.

ebj1248650

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 pm

It's obvious I'm behind the times. I thought the Atlas missile had gone the way of dinosaurs. Obviously I'm very wrong. I suspect this version is quite different from the Atlas missile of the cold war years.
Dare to dream; dream big!

TheSonntag

Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:26 pm

Quoting EBJ1248650 (Reply 6):
It's obvious I'm behind the times. I thought the Atlas missile had gone the way of dinosaurs. Obviously I'm very wrong. I suspect this version is quite different from the Atlas missile of the cold war years.

It is, in fact it is using a RUSSIAN engine... Quite unlikely in cold-war times  Wink

HaveBlue
Topic Author

Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:54 pm

That is awesome Sonntag, thank you for sharing. Very cool that they took the time to respond to your question.
Here Here for Severe Clear!

TheSonntag

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Quoting HaveBlue (Reply 8):
That is awesome Sonntag, thank you for sharing. Very cool that they took the time to respond to your question.

Yes, indeed. It took a while to answer, but they did answer it. You can, besides, see the first pictures of the camera (no apollo pictures yet, though), on

http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/index.html