fanofjets

Canadians May Have Found Sunken US Wwii Plane

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:33 pm

I just came accross what could be exciting news - Canadian underwater archaeologists have detected what they believe are the remains of a US warplane. Here's the article from Agence France Presse, as found on Yahoo!

OTTAWA (AFP) – Canadian underwater archeologists accidentally discovered what they believe to be the wreck of a US Air Force airplane that sank in the Saint Lawrence seaway in 1942, the Parks Canada divers said Thursday.

The divers said in a statement that they were carrying out routine work in an adjacent area when they came across the wreck. It must still be confirmed that it is indeed the lost plane.

"This is a very significant discovery," Quebec region Minister Christian Paradis said. "This plane is a testament to the collaboration between Canada and the US during the Second World War."

The amphibious aircraft foundered in rough weather on November 2, 1942, in the waters surrounding what is now the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve in the eastern Gulf of Saint Lawrence.

The plane was based at Presqu'Ile, Maine, in the United States, and serviced an airfield in the village of Longue-Pointe-de-Mingan, Quebec, about 1,000 kilometers (641 miles) northeast of Montreal.

Nine persons were on board when the aircraft went down. Four of the crew escaped the flooding plane and were rescued by local fishermen rowing out from shore in open boats in rough seas.

The five others perished, trapped inside.

Officials said sonar scans indicate the plane appears to be in good condition and divers hope to recover any remains of the five victims in the coming weeks.

"The United States government was extremely interested to learn of the discovery of the wreckage," said David Fetter, Consul General of the United States.

In 1941 and 1942, the United States constructed a series of airfields in Eastern Canada to ferry aircraft to Allied air forces in Northern Europe, as part of the so-called "Crimson Route."

The construction of the airport in Longue-Pointe-de-Mingan was to serve as an emergency airfield along the ferry route between Presque Isle and Goose Bay, Labrador.

My two disclaimers: Yes, I know "U.S. Air Force" should read "U.S. Army Air Force." Second, as a one-time archaeologist myself, I am well aware that what appears to be an exciting find turns out to be, well, a dud. Yet, I hope that this is the actual aircraft mentioned and that the five servicemen still aboard can be given an honorable military funeral.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Braniff747SP

RE: Canadians May Have Found Sunken US Wwii Plane

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:43 pm

ant word on what A/C it is? It carried 9 people, so it had to be a decent size. Hopefully someone will recover it and restore it.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

fanofjets

Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 pm

I am going to make an educated guess that it was a PBY Catalina - the article mentions an "amphibious" aircraft, and the number of souls on board would fit the description. If that is so, such a rare aircraft would be quite a find, indeed.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Turner

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

connies4ever

Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:17 pm

All -

It's indeed a PBY Catalina, which my Dad flew in WW2. The link below points to a Globe and Mail article that seems to indicate the a/c is largely intact. If true, then there is a decent likelihood that the unfortunate souls who perished can at long last be recovered and given proper tribute:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...kage-of-1942-crash/article1243678/

RIP.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

OHLHD

Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:55 am

Does anyone know who deep the water is there?

connies4ever

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 4):

The St Lawrence estuary is quite deep in spots. So I think a couple hundred feet is probably a realistic estimate. With a current, of course, which makes diving more of a concern.

kc135topboom

Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:57 pm

Quoting Fanofjets (Thread starter):
believe to be the wreck of a US Air Force airplane that sank in the Saint Lawrence seaway in 1942

The amphibious aircraft foundered in rough weather on November 2, 1942

I know "U.S. Air Force" should read "U.S. Army Air Force

Actually, in 1942, it would have been the U.S. Army Air Corps (USAAC). The name changed to USAAF in 1943. But the USAAC, or USAAF did not fly the PBY, so this is not likely either a USN , or a RCAF airplane.

Quoting Fanofjets (Reply 2):
PBY Catalina

Correct, PBY-5A, and the PBY easily had the range for a 1000 km or 620 mile ranged missions, but it would take at least 6 hours in still air. The PBY-5A could fly for about 20 hours.

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 5):
Quoting OHLHD (Reply 4):

The St Lawrence estuary is quite deep in spots. So I think a couple hundred feet is probably a realistic estimate. With a current, of course, which makes diving more of a concern.

It might not be in the area where the divers found the wreck. I would have thought the story would have said what the depth was.

Whether this is a USN or RCAF crew, welcome home, my friends.

zanl188

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 am

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
But the USAAC, or USAAF did not fly the PBY, so this is not likely either a USN , or a RCAF airplane.

Technically true, however USAAF did fly the OA-10 variant of the PBY during the war....

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=522
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

kc135topboom

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 pm

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 7):
Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 6):
But the USAAC, or USAAF did not fly the PBY, so this is not likely either a USN , or a RCAF airplane.

Technically true, however USAAF did fly the OA-10 variant of the PBY during the war....

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...d=522

Oops.........I knew that, too............  banghead 

Have the Canadians identified the wreck yet? Have the remains of the crew been recovered?

connies4ever

Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 pm

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 8):
Have the Canadians identified the wreck yet? Have the remains of the crew been recovered?

So far I believe it's only been spotted in a sonar survey of the river bottom. General outline identifiable, but that's about it. A deep dive with currents is not something to be rushed into.

kc135topboom

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 pm

Quoting Connies4ever (Reply 9):

Quoting KC135TopBoom (Reply 8):

So far I believe it's only been spotted in a sonar survey of the river bottom. General outline identifiable, but that's about it. A deep dive with currents is not something to be rushed into.

Thank you for the update.