flymia

Nasa Falling Short Of Asteroid-detection Goals

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:47 pm

So NASA needs more money to try to scan the sky of deadly asteroids. When I read the article two things came to mind. First why is the US the only country with a near earth object program? Anyone know of other countries which have it.
And second why have they not gotten the funding? I think this is a pretty important issue, more important than building a bridge in Missouri or buying new private jets IMO. Where is the money for an extremely important program. One day a large asteroid will hit earth the human race should find a way to protect its self. What are your guys opinions on funding research in findings ways to avoid an asteroid impact or at least having funding to find the ones that could kill the whole planet.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/0...nasa.asteroid.detection/index.html
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

HOMER71

RE: Nasa Falling Short Of Asteroid-detection Goals

Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Reminds me of Armageddon:

"Well, our object collison budget's a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and begging your pardon, sir, it's a big-ass sky."
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

Aaron747

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:52 am

Seriously, why is there not a global effort to secure the funding needed to collectively protect the planet? Unfortunately we appear to be just that dense.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

flymia

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
Seriously, why is there not a global effort to secure the funding needed to collectively protect the planet? Unfortunately we appear to be just that dense.

That is exactly what I am thinking. We not make some type of agency to gather data together, search together and think of a plan when we do find a large asteroid heading our way.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

Lumberton

Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):

Beat me to it, dude. Its a global responsibility.
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Ozair

Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:52 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Thread starter):
And second why have they not gotten the funding?

Because seriously what could we actually do if we did find something? Hollywood movies aside I think the answer would be a big fat nothing....

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more money for space and science but the chances of something big hitting us are just too remote to warrant the kind of money you would like to be invested.